What's new

Television Shows are Great on DVD ! (1 Viewer)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
This is just a thought of mine...I guess this is the best place to put it.
Does anyone else here think that the show 24 exists partially because of the success of these DVD boxsets? Think about it. When 24 was being developed, FOX knew it would not work with syndication, but also that the X-Files DVD box sets were a huge success. And if there's any show that benefits from being in a boxset, (Granted, they ALL DO! :emoji_thumbsup: ) it's 24! We've all been told the DVD release was an attempt to recoup production costs, (And recover us fans who were lost during the television broadcasts. *sigh* They certainly recovered ME!) and I wonder that part of FOX agreeing to produce this show was based on the intentions that they would make up the losses of a syndication deal with a DVD release. Certainly makes us feel special!
I for one just miss the outstanding video quality of the DVDs when watching the new season. With progressive anamorphic widescreen, this show looked INCREDIBLE! While I like the new season in content, the video is rather poor, and the picture looks cramped and very pan n' scan like. Can't wait to buy season 2 on DVD!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think the boxed set for 24 was decided on a fair bit into it's run. The show is excellent, and it's unfortunate that sydication has become the deciding factor for any programming.

Fox has promised that each season will be available on DVD shortly after it ends. I hope to be buying several more 24 sets.

I have not lost visual quality in watching week to week. Unfortunately I haven't really gained it either. I watch on Fox HD, but since they don't do full HD, it looks quite like DVD. I wish it were HD, that would be awesome.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I watch on Fox HD, but since they don't do full HD, it looks quite like DVD.
Actually it isn't HD at all. Its 'enhanced definition'. A fancy way of saying 480p. It does look good though. I've been watching Firefly weekly and it looks awesome. You can't get those kind of deep blacks on analog cable or OTA.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I want to see Seinfeld and The Tick. Once I have those in my hands the circle will be complete

As it is, I only have ST:TNG seasons 1 and 2, and Simpsons season 1. The only thing holding me back is Money. Theres SO MUCH good TV on DVD that I want!

-Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks