What's new

Teen Titans box sets (1 Viewer)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Why not? What's the big obstacle to having TT take place before the first season of BTAS? Is it the Anime-styled animation? Getting past that, the two links I've already mentioned are Dick Grayson as Nightwing:

and Wally West as Kid Flash, voiced by JL's Michael Rosenbaum!

How much more of a link do you need?

Now, it's true, the Nightwing from Teen Titans does vary a little bit from that on Batman: The Animated Series:

But can't a fella change his costume a little bit? He's had his share of costume changes in the comics. Besides, that TT episode was a dystopian future, kind of a "Days of Future Past" storyline, if you'll forgive the cross-company reference.

But bottom line, Michael Rosenbaum playing Wally West at a younger age clinches it that TT is a prequel series. It may not have started that way, but there's certainly nothing contradicting it, a la "The Batman." Where's the confusion?

Hopelessly devoted to continuity,

CS

TimT

Agent
I love the continuity argument, but was stunned to see you list a Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon. I apparently slept for a year and missed that one. When was it made? How did the animation match up to BTAS? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Well the two links you mention aren't really links. It's been established since Season 1 (I think) that the Robin on the show was Dick Grayson. Dick Grayson goes on to become Nightwing. That is the continuity of Dick Grayson, whether it be in the comics or any other various continuity (unless they choose not to follow it of course). And having MR voice Kid Flash isn't a link either, because it's a 4th wall situation. Most likely done out of convenience. I mean Rosenbaum is Flash on Justice league, but he's Lex Luthor on Smallville, does that mean that those two shows are in continuity and that The Flash is in fact Lex Luthor? Of course not, all that matters is the character being portrayed, not the actor portraying them. Even if it did matter, Robin isn't voiced by his BTAS counterpart, so that cancels it out according to playground rules. I think the show actively tried to avoid continuity glitches with the rest of the DC shows, so that those fans who would like to see them as one, can. Which is a perfectly valid way to see it. Officially the producers have said a number of times (because they get asked a lot) that the show isn't in the same world as the BTAS family. Which makes sense as nothing in Teen Titans has ever affected that of the other shows in question (or vice versa), which is essentially what continuity is.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Zack, you and I will have to agree to disagree.

Tim, stay tuned. The LOSH first appeared in Superman:TAS, and will return this season on JLU. (If you're in the UK you'll get to see their JLU episode before us Yanks, but it will eventually air on Cartoon Network in the States.)

Anyway, the upcoming JLU episode will feature Supergirl
choosing to stay in the 31st Century, mirroring events in an upcoming LOSH comic issue. This JLU episode, "Far From Home," IIRC, will spin off into a LOSH series currently in (pre?)production.

Alls I know is, it better have Matter-Eater Lad.

In darkest night,

CS

P.S. Zack, you'll get to see Rosenbaum play Luthor on the animated series soon enough. So neener. :p)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Really, is it going to be on JL? I thought that WB asked them to stop including individual character villians, such as the Joker? And will this be the same Luthor that Clancy Brown portrayed, or a younger/alternate version? I'm not complaining, but it seems like such an odd thing to do.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
I was under the impression that the Titans Animated Kid Flash was Bart Allen (not Wally West or Barry Allen), despite being voiced by Michael Rosenbaum. To me, that casting was more of a "tip of the hat" to Justice League fans. And Bart has been wearing the Kid Flash uniform in the Teen Titans comic for awhile now.

Still, it's cool to think of TT as a prequel, and I can totally see how it all fits together. It would also explain why, despite the world-threatening events the Titans face, the JLA has never shown up to help. They just don't exist yet.

All that said, when it comes to DVD-sets, I've already got the individual Season 1 discs, and don't plan on buying the complete Season 1 set when it's released. It would be nice, but there are so many other boxed sets that I want and can't yet afford, that I can't justify replacing what I already own. unfortunately, I fear that this point-of-view will be shared by enough TT fans that the complete S1 will sell low, and we'll never see a complete S2.

-Frank P.

Bill_Nolan

Agent
Well, since I'm watching Teen Titans season 1 right now, and it says "Producer Bruce Timm" at the beginning of the episodes, I like to think that it's at least "almost" in continuity. It can work, so why not, I say. It's a loose, fun kind of continuity, but it still kinda works. Better than the Superman: TAS vs. the JLU continuity, regarding the Lois-Superman relationship, unless that new movie coming out takes place in the past.

- Bill

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

If there are no on-screen inconsistencies, I don't think there's anything wrong with beliving all these shows exist in the same continuity.

I'd even go so far as to say that a reasonable amount of inconsistency should be allowed, without breaking continuity. In the first season of Star Trek, Spock was a "Vulcanian" and the Enterprise was a "UESPA" (United Earth Space Probe Agency) vessel. :)

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
I'm a bit nervous about the Teen Titans sets. Matt Wilson once said on Toon Zone that Teen Titans airs in widescreen on Cartoon Network High-Def. Does this mean the DVDs are cropped?

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
I'm Probably going to hold out until WHV Comes out with the 5th Season of Teen Titans,as may favorite episode (bunny Raven) would be on it.

Also, If/When that Second Chat with WHV is scheduled (the one supposedly supposed to include animation), the issue with the classic CN shows needs to be brought up, because its irritating that Animaniacs, The Batman, Pinky and the Brain, and Teen Titans get all this wonderful DVD treatment, but not Dexter or the Powerpuff Girls?

BrandonJF

Second Unit

But, there are. That Wikipedia definition of "continuity" is the perfect proof that TT is not within the Dini continuity.

The TT Robin is a completely different character than the BTAS Dick Grayson Robin character. Watch an episode of BTAS with Dick Grayson in it, then watch an episode of TT. They aren't even close to being the same character.

There is also a complete tonal difference between TT and every Dini animated show. BTAS, Batman Beyond, JL, and Static Shock all share a consistent tone. Teen Titans is nowhere near any of them and I'm not referring to the animation style. There is a "real world" sense in the Dini animated shows. In Teen Titans, we have presumably underage kids living on their own, driving vehicles, and never attending school. That would never happen in any of the other shows, but is easily acceptable in TT.

Putting it in continuity, here's what has to happen:

Robin leaves Gotham and Batman and moves off to a new city, builds a new team, then fights crime for x number of years. He decides to leave the mask and costume on 24/7.

Robin has a complete personality change and decides to move back to Gotham, enroll in college, and fight alongside Batman with apparently no hard feelings (which there obviously are in the TT series). He also rediscovers all the casual-wear he left in his closet at Wayne Manor.

The only thing these shows share are DC Comics characters. That shouldn't automatically equate to continuity or else we have a whole slew of animated product that is now in continuity. And, yes, Krytpo the Superdog is one of them. :)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Brandon,

Going back to the comics, John Byrne's, Jeph Loeb's, and Mark Waid's versions of Superman exhibit major personality differences, yet they are all part of "post-Crisis" DC continuity.

Keith Giffen's JUSTICE LEAGUE exhibits a complete tonal difference from Grant Morrison's JLA, as well as every other DC comic ever published, but it too is within the same continuity.

And Krypto is back in the comics, as well. :D

Likewise, pre-war, wartime, and post-war Superman can almost be considered 3 separate characters (see the excellent SUPERMAN IN THE FORTIES graphic novel) yet they are all part of the golden age "Earth 2" continuity. The silly 50s Batman, Julius Schwartz's 1964 version, and the TV-era "campy" Batman are likewise all part of the same silver age, "Earth 1" Batman continuity.

Besides, continuity is overrated. First of all, it exists solely in the mind of the fan -- in any shared universe, dozens of writers and editors are creating stories, and they can't be expected to be familiar with everything that has come before. More importantly, superhero stories are like folk takes -- they change with each retelling. Among my favorite versions of Superman are the Siegel/Shuster original, the Fleischer cartoons, the Richard Donner films, the John Byrne comics, and Mark Waid's new origin story. However, I would never claim that any version is less real or less legitimate because it violates the continuity of the versions that I prefer (none of which are in the same continuity, by the way).

I find it amusing that comic book and superhero fans are so generous with their suspension of disbelief -- we will accept any sci-fi (or pseudo-sci-fi) explanation for anything, whether or not it is actually based on real scientific principles. We will accept any fantasy explanation for anything, as long as it is more-or-less internally consistent (with a great deal of leeway given in this area). But what we WILL NOT TOLERATE is the most trivial factual inconsistency. Marvel Comics used to parody this mindset by offering a "No Prize" to clever readers who could explain away such inconsistencies in their letter columns.

Myself, I refuse to accept that any Spider-Man stores between Todd McFarlane's departure and J. Michael Straczinsky's arrival ever occurred. That means (to me at least) that there was never any "Obscene Clone Fall" or whatever it was called. :)

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
That's right. We don't speak of Ben Reilly.

Brandon,

It's established early in the fourth season of BTAS that Dick and Bruce had a major falling out, and Dick left Bruce's care and ceased being Robin, changing his name to Nightwing.

In this "Elseworlds," let us suppose that he tried the split once before (at ~16?), but it just didn't take. Who knows, if they do another season of TT, perhaps they'll finally tie it all together with a threat so big the Titans (incl. Kid Flash and Speedy) need to call some grownups for help, and Flash (Barry Allen, voiced by Charlie Schlatter), a beardless Green Arrow, and Batman come to San Francisco to bail their young apprentices out of trouble. The episode could end with Robin leaving Titans tower, putting Cyborg in charge.

We could flash forward to an older Robin in Gotham, just before the events of his first BTAS episode, "Christmas With The Joker." Perhaps he'd even be voiced by returning voiceover actor Loren Lester.

Would that make you happy, Brandon?

Ever a continuity whore,

CS

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Not to steer this back onto topic or anything ;) but is anyone else having a hard time finding this series in Canada?

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Any word on the Season 5 (and final) release? They have been coming out about every 7-8 months which would put the next release in June or July.

June release dates are pretty common now, so I would hope we will hear something in the next few weeks (also for the next "The Batman" release).

Or perhaps I missed it (in which case I wouldn't mind at all being wrong).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Forget that, I'm still waiting for Warner to release the series in its original aspect ratio ... widescreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks