What's new

TDB: Fox/MGM prepping several catalog titles (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
While I agree that the talk of Fox prices and stripped down releases can get repetitive, this is clearly a problem that is no different from consistently bad transfers or non-anamorphic releases, or any other problem that we discuss here.

I think as long as Fox is shooting themselves in the foot, you'll see people here talking about it.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The X-men discs are among the highest caliber sds ever put out (a/v wise)...they can also routinely be found in under $10 promotions/bins, and have been repackaged several times using various gimmicks like 'steelbooks' and trilogy& 2 part comps. Patton was released in an improved edition 2 or 3 years ago. Sand Pebbles was released in a 'deluxe' sd edition last year as was Young Frankenstein, as was Butch Cassidy and Pota before them.
In other words, people who wanted 'improved' versions of all these titles have already had ample opportunity to purchase them and replace an earlier, less extravegant, comprehensive, or technically inferior edition. And these new edtions play on their current gear, don't require a new $400 player, are all currently in print and easily available at a fraction of the price the Bds will be. Hmmm. I wonder why catalog titles are such a hard sell on Hd? Let's all wish Fox good luck with these (snicker*giggle)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
snicker*giggle?

More veiled BD doom-mongering? *yawn* Can't we keep this kind of crap in the designated threads? Seriously.

Ya know I once had sympathy for the bitterness exhibited by some on this board, now it's to the point of being comical.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Done correctly, Fox won't need any "luck." Done piss poorly, no amount of luck is going to save them.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
But if the price is too high, it's not "period", unless you're talking about the tiny number of people who shelled out big bucks for laserdiscs without batting an eye.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

How many of the Deluxe Editions of X3 were sold at a $34.99 price point? Granted, we're talking completely different dynamics with high def media than we were with standard DVD. But if the product is not on the shelf, the consumer can not buy it. And this is one of the titles people will want to buy.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Wow. Unbelievable.

For the record, I do not agree with Fox's catalog pricing structure, and there are only a handful of titles they've released that I would consider paying their full retail price for (Robocop, Predator, etc). However, doesn't The Home Theater Forum have any contacts within Fox where the membership here can voice our displeasure with their catalog pricing structure? It would seem to be a more constructive way to approach the problem. Generally, if I have a concern of this nature that I wish to make the studios aware of, I will request that Bill Hunt or someone who has the studio's ear make it known. At that point, I feel I've at least acted proactively and done what I can. Then, in situations such as this one, I would vote with my wallet and let the market bear it out.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I would definitely call Batman: The Movie a camp classic. And it was very influential causing producers of just about every other TV show on the air to change the nature of their shows for good or bad.

You can see the Batman effect on the 3rd season of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. The 2nd season of Lost in Space. The 3rd season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The 2nd season of The Wild Wild West among others. Even the 3rd season of Star Trek started to show a little of the Batman effect.

All of these shows started out as straight adventure shows, but after Batman was a huge hit, each was changed to to become campy parodies of themselves. I would go as far as to say that Batman is the reason that most of these shows didn't make it out of the 1960s.

This was my favorite show when I was about 5. I will say however that at $39.98, I won't be buying it.

Doug

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I never thought of it that way, Douglas, but I see what you're saying. I have a hard time understanding the thought processes of studios sometimes.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I agree. Batman: The Movie would not be among my first choices for release from the Fox library.

I'm quite happy to see Planet of the Apes, which is a title that I am willing to pay more for. But I'll keep my eyes open for a sale on it.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
My point (which I thought I had been clear with, guess not) was that NO studio -let alone one that charges $40 per title- is going to move catalog on any HD format in mass quantities EVER until certain mindsets **even beyond price** change DRASTICALLY. The people here may think "1080p" is a clarion call but outside of the 5% enthusiast community, people are not hung up on that spec- and that spec doesn't trump the satisfaction they continue to have with a product that THEY HAVE ALREADY DOUBLE OR TRIPLE DIPPED ON IN SD (usually within the last couple of years) OR ALREADY OWN A VERSION THAT UPSCALES EXTRAORDINARILY WELL. Masses are not going to be motivated to buy "the version with the a/v quality that goes all the way to 11" when they already have "the deluxe remastered anamorphic CE" at home ***or can pick it up AT WILL*** for a fraction of the cost of the HDM...(not too mention not having to worry that there may be some new spec/tech consideration to trip them up). Don't you guys get what I'm saying? There is little motivation to re-buy catalog that is perpetually in print and easily and cheaply available. When a new "remastered collectors edition " comes out on sd, the previous edtion is usually taken out of print in advance. In contrast, in HDM land, not only is the new sd CE left available, it has also been marked down to impulse purchase levels- all while a slighty better version(to many peoples eyes and gear needs) comes out in HD at several multiples of that price.
You want to see Patton or POTA on Bd become attractive and motivate more of the 'mass' consumers to pick the up? Then they need to be put on a permanent moritorium on sd for at least a few years first. Or, at the very least, institute a window for the Bd version of 6 to 12 months. The Bd needs to be postioned by the studios as an attractive, *special* purchase that entails benefits beyond 'enhanced a/v' or a token gimmicky interactive feature.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
one other thing- it is interesting that so many people took a post that was -by specific example- mocking/criticizing a mindset prevelant across most studios in regards to their treatment and view of catalog product on the HD formats and warped it into seeing what they wanted to see- a swipe or dig at [cue the heavenly choir] Blu-ray [/heavenly choir]. Since these peoples fondest wishes have come true, and Blu-ray is now the only HD game in town, it seems quite tedious to have to continue to use the generic PC phrase "HDM" whenever I want to indicate the HD disc alternative to sd dvd.
It does explain quite a lot though- that some people would sieze upon any opportunity to 'be offended'. Blu-ray is the face of HD on disc now- any criticism of one is a criticism of the other. This is what some of you were pining for so ardently- and this is what you got. I would suggest getting used to it because there is likely to still be plenty to criticize in the future.

My apologies for all the 'shouting' in the previous post, but as I mentioned elesewhere, I'm typing these posts out on my phone and formating options are very difficult to access. Hard to emphasize certain words or phrases beyond just capping them.

Goko

Agent
Real Name
Joe E
Interesting post and speaks to the dilemma that I'm facing: Is it worth spending all that money (new HD player and software titles) just to see the same old titles now residing in my DVD library. Anyway, the consensus of opinion seem to be to wait til Christmas for sales. I can wait. But if something better comes along in the meantime....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Well, moratorium (for the DVD) would probably help a lot. But then again, the studios are in this to make $$$, not just to promote BD. They will do it whichever way they believe work best for their bottomline regardless of what you and I may think.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks