What's new

TCM/Columbia Film Noir Classics IV-Improperly Authored Discs (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'd like to see THE BURGLARS (71), also a Columbia release, in a quality R1 presentation. It's a loose remake.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Richard Gallagher said:
I'm going to let the dust settle before ordering this set. I'm hoping that this is just a case of some people getting a bad pressing.

For the next Noir collection I'm hoping that Sony will include The Burglar and Joseph Losey's American remake of M.
As I understand it, Sony no longer controls the Losey M.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Dan McW said:
As I understand it, Sony no longer controls the Losey M.
That could be. I was going by the production credits listed in The Encyclopedia of Film Noir, but I see now that Columbia was just the theatrical distributor. Apparently a VHS tape was released in 2005 by a company called Darker Images Video. I didn't realize that anyone was releasing VHS tapes as late as 2005.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I also noticed the wrong bonus feature on WALK A CROOKED MILE. TCM wanted to exchange it, and it took awhile to explain to them why an exchange wouldnt matter since this was an authoring problem that would be in every set.

Also noticed the aliasing (interlaced look) and telecine judder. The judder isnt always as bad, but intruded alot on WALK EAST ON BEACON. I thought it was just me being sensitive to it....I remember thinking it was so bad on the GALLANT HOURS MGM mod that it was defective, but didnt see any customer review complaints. I resolved that problem by inverse-telecining, re-encoding and burning a new copy, which looked much better. I dont think I (or we) should have to redo retail dvds, but that might be the only option.
Watching on 32 inch Sony HDTV, LG bluray player. Previewed these thru analog cables to double check.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
without my request, TCM emailed they are shipping a replacement set. Seems like a waste unless they fixed a multitude of issues overnight.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im also have the same motion (sickness lol) issues as others...it starts out really bad but by the end it seems a little better or Im just used to it
Im considering a return and maybe the next pressing will be better.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
When TCM does organize full replacements (as opposed to a damaged item), they usually send either a notice or the fixed disc roughly a month after the item had been released. They sent me a replacement disc for a minor defect on one disc of the Universal Westerns collection this spring out of the blue and sent a new error-free sleeve for Columbia Noir Collection vol 3 a year before.

So if these issues are indeed on a large scale (which they appear to be), I think we'll see replacement discs sooner or later.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Glad I saw this since I was going to pull the trigger on this title and pre-order the Ford and Scott sets. I'll wait to see how you all fair with the replacement discs and hope that after they arrive that the new sets are corrected.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I must be blind . I watched all five movies on a 42" screen and didn't notice any motion issues . Not sure if I got an ok set or if I'm completely missing it .

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Russell G said:
Glad I saw this since I was going to pull the trigger on this title and pre-order the Ford and Scott sets. I'll wait to see how you all fair with the replacement discs and hope that after they arrive that the new sets are corrected.
by pre-order, so you mean there are some Ford (Glenn or John?) and Scott(?) sets that are not released yet?

I sent a 2nd email mentioning the telecine judder. I got a response to that next day about the replacement package:
"We would like to assure you that the issue has been corrected and you have a reshipment in route."
I suspect they were referring to the wrong bonus feature problem, rather than the video picture problem.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
davidHartzog said:
I too have watched all of them by now and saw no problems.
I got the replacement set which has the same wrong bonus feature and same judder. There's nothing worse (in this situation) than being told everything is fixed and nothing was.

So David, after credits on WALK EAST ON BEACON, there's a a car moving from right to left which displays judder (a slight hesitancy as it moves) on my HDTV - you dont see that?

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Richard Gallagher said:
There is a 4-movie Randolph Scott set being released on December 2.

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=454237&SESSID=2485830867947f038ced3d4bd152a1fe
thanks. Was the other set the Glenn Ford set actually released earlier?

Btw, one day, sitewide TCM 20% sale (promo code: cyber20) which can be used on this NOIR set. Might be worth buying now, and exchanging later for the corrected bonus feature.
Looks like the sale code works for that Randolph Scott pre-order, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks