What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Sound of Music 45th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Glad to see that Fox is releasing this in a tchotchke-less edition as well. That'll be the version I get.

Me too!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the documentary from the original 5 star DVD isn't included here?

I hope that. Isn't true. Either I'm still buying it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm wondering if the original documentary may be included in its entirety in the "interactive backlot tour", or carved up to fill portions of that tour, a la the U-Control version of "Terror Takes Shape" found on The Thing Blu-Ray.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
So does anyone know the restoration specs? Frankly, I wouldn't buy anything less than a resto of the 65mm neg (or separation masters) at 8K.

And on a related note, that boxset has to be the frilliest one I've ever seen! I'd be embarassed to buy that in a store! :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the sound track CD will be any different from the various previous versions released such as the 2 disc 35th anniversary version.

Including a clip from Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall, their first special together, is a neat extra I think the clip is about the Pratt Family Singers, Jullie is the mother, Carol one of the kids. Would prefer of course that the whole program be included. It is in black and white .

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

**EXCLUSIVE**

A ONE-TIME ONLY “OPRAH” SHOW EVENT

“THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW” REUNITES THE CAST

OF “THE SOUND OF MUSIC” ON OCTOBER 29, 2010

CHICAGO, IL – For the first time in 45 years, the entire cast of “The Sound of Music” will gather for a once-in-a-lifetime reunion on the “Oprah” show stage on Friday, October 29, 2010. Stars Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, along with fellow cast members Charmian Carr (“Liesl”), Nicholas Hammond (“Friedrich”), Heather Menzies-Urich (“Louisa”), Duane Chase (“Kurt”), Angela Cartwright (“Brigitta”), Debbie Turner (“Marta”) and Kym Karath (“Gretl”) will reunite and reveal the stories behind one of the world’s most beloved movie musicals. Together for the first time in nearly half a century, the cast shares secrets from the set, reminiscences about their time together and what their lives have been like in the years since the movie was released. Finally, the von Trapp Children – a singing group featuring members of the real von Trapp family – pay their own special tribute to the film that made their family name known throughout the world.

Considered by many to be the most successful movie musical in history*, “The Sound of Music” took home five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, in 1965. Its first release lasted over 4 ½ years. It is shown annually on network television; has been released for home entertainment on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD and has recently been digitally remastered and restored for its high definition Blu-ray Disc debut November 2; unites new fans and old through the amazing SINGALONG SOUND OF MUSIC events nationwide; and the soundtrack CD is one of the best selling soundtracks of all time, having gone Platinum more than 12 times. Its landmark score includes some of the most beloved songs in the American songbook including “My Favorite Things,” “Edelweiss,” “Climb Ev’ry Mountain,” “Do Re Mi,” “Sixteen Going on Seventeen,” and the title song.

Furthermore, for the first time since 1973, “The Sound of Music” twirls back into theaters nationwide in stunning high definition to commemorate the beloved musical’s 45th anniversary. This special event will be broadcast to nearly 500 select movie theaters for a two-night-only engagement on Tuesday, October 19 and Tuesday, October 26 at 6:30 p.m. local time. The Sound of Music Sing-Along Event includes the sing-along version of the fully restored feature with classic songs that have delighted fans for decades, such as “Do-Re-Mi,” “My Favorite Things,” “The Sound of Music,” “Edelweiss,” and “Climb Ev’ry Mountain.”

Tickets to The Sound of Music Sing-Along Event are available at participating box offices and online at www.FathomEvents.com

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I assume since it is a Fathom Event, the movie theater showing will be similar to the Wizard of Oz event last year. I didn't see it but there were complaints on this board about how the Oz film looked in theaters. While it is true that Oprah will have the first complete reunion, on the 40th anniversary Julie and the children were together again. Christopher Plummer is the only addition. Too bad the didn't get the actor who played Rolf, the boyfriend ( Sixteen going on Seventeen)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've seen the Sound of Music twice in theatrical runs in the last five years in a sing-a-long format. This is the first nationwide rollout, but it has been done and booked by Fox.

And let me say, the Sing A Long is a BLAST. This is great stuff for kids. I admit, I will probably buy the whole hog, as this is one of a few movies I want most everything possible on

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Of all the surviving cast members, Eleanor Parker seems to have been the least conspicuous. She retired, and disappeared off the face of the earth, not participating in any of the laserdisc or DVD supplements.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
While I don't know how extensive a re-release it was, there was a significant theatrical exhibition of MUSIC around 1990 (probably for it's 25th anniversary). Maybe it wasn't national, but it garnered a full-page ad in the New York Times and played as a first-run film in a flagship theater in Manhattan (where I saw it three times). This was well before the sing-a-long nonsense.

Hopefully for its 50th, there will be another open-ended theatrical release... sans sing-a-long.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I saw the film in 1990 in NY (on the upper east side) it looked good, but if they do a re-release they should go with the 70MM print - that looked even better in it's LA screenings over the past ten years

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

I saw the film in 1990 in NY (on the upper east side) it looked good, but if they do a re-release they should go with the 70MM print - that looked even better in it's LA screenings over the past ten years

Unfortunately the release is being handled by NCM (National Cinema Media) and will be a digital download through their equipment, which are the projectors used for the pre-show at certain theatre circuits, not the 2000K projectors that show the feature films. Warner's did this with The Wizard Of Oz a few years ago and it meet with limited success. Hopefully the problems have been worked out. Warner's is also going to try this again with The Exorcist early next month. If the companies really wanted to do it right they would be send the hard drive or download to a hard drive to the theatres and allow it to be shown only on digital screens (2k up to 4k). This is what Paramount did for the Grease Sing-A-Long this summer. We would then get a fairly good idea how the blu-ray will look, because the NCM presentation will not be in that league.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by ahollis

Unfortunately the release is being handled by NCM (National Cinema Media) and will be a digital download through their equipment, which are the projectors used for the pre-show at certain theatre circuits, not the 2000K projectors that show the feature films. Warner's did this with The Wizard Of Oz a few years ago and it meet with limited success. Hopefully the problems have been worked out. Warner's is also going to try this again with The Exorcist early next month. If the companies really wanted to do it right they would be send the hard drive or download to a hard drive to the theatres and allow it to be shown only on digital screens (2k up to 4k). This is what Paramount did for the Grease Sing-A-Long this summer. We would then get a fairly good idea how the blu-ray will look, because the NCM presentation will not be in that league.

If that's what they were to do, I'd be all over this event. But the way it stands now (unless I hear anything to the contrary) I'll give it a pass. Sad, because I love this film on the big screen. The Oprah show should be fun.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Eleanor Parker was interviewed by Dick Dinman at DVD Classics Corner not too long ago. Via telephone it sounded like.

Originally Posted by MatthewA

Of all the surviving cast members, Eleanor Parker seems to have been the least conspicuous. She retired, and disappeared off the face of the earth, not participating in any of the laserdisc or DVD supplements.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I've always been curious as to how she felt about the success of "The Sound of Music" and the film in general. Here she was a leading lady from about 1945 through about 1960 making films such as "Between Two Worlds," "Caged," "The Man with the Golden Arm" and "Interrupted Melody" and most people today remember her for a relatively small supporting role in a movie in which Julie Andrews' screen presence made everyone else seem superfluous. On top of that, she gave an incredibly nuanced performance which was overlooked by the Academy in favor of Peggy Wood's admittedly fine, but far less challenging role. And when people talk about the film, she's seldom ever mentioned. Case in point: the announcement that Julie, Chris and the seven children would be appearing on Oprah was phrased with the words "the entire cast."

I wish she'd talk more about her experiences in making the film, her reaction to its reception and its place in her body of work. I assume she had a good working relationship with Mr. Wise as they had worked together years before and she came on board at the last minute when other actresses proved unavailable. But I've never heard her thoughts about the film in general.

I've always felt she was seriously overlooked as an actress and her work in this film deserves better recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks