What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Robe (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I'll try this again. He had gone throught a LOT of papaerwork at Fox that told how the two films were made. This was original papaerwork from 1853 and 1954.

Also, Since The Robe roginally started shooting flat only (it didn't cfhange to double shooting till later) it would be odd for Fox to use Eastman for this as everything else in color that year used three strip neg (gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Call Me Madam etc). It would be odd if Fox biggest film of the year was planned as eastman only.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

So what? THE ROBE was a Frank Ross production-- the only one he produced that year. How does that compare with all of the other production companies? Technicolor had a 3-strip 3-D rig-- why did they elect to shoot INFERNO in Eastman color?

As I said, the OCN was at Cineric and was most definitely Eastman, but the proof is in the pudding. Faded opticals, lack of red halos = no 3-strip.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Jack, you certainly know that I meant to type 1953 !!! Glad I could give you a cheap shot !!!

Too bad Fox papaerwork was all incorrect. Another question to ask Shawn Belston next week.
While The Robe was a brak ross productin, it was still a FOX FILM. NOt an independent film distributed by Fox.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Apparently one reason Zanuck left Fox to become an independent producer (with his films distributed by Fox) was because he was shocked by the obscene amount of money Ross made on The Robe after shopping it between RKO and later Fox.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

That wasn't my point. From producer to producer, terms are totally different. One unit might have been contractually obligated to use the three-strip camera, and another might not have. Technicolor's bread and butter was in their printing, not the camera rentals (and by that point, the writing was on the wall with Eastman and Ansco Color).

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Jack but NONE of these producers are independent producers releasing at Fox.

Fox did some twenty other films in color that year and NONE are eastman - all are in Technicolor. But Zanuck would have the Robe begin filming in Eastman - Fox biggest and most expensive film of that year?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I'm not too familiar with Ross's years at Fox, but while he was at RKO, Ross WAS an independent producer. As Simon mentioned above, he shopped THE ROBE to RKO, his old distributor, which I didn't know.

Likewise, Edward Alperson distributed INVADERS FROM MARS through Fox (although he shot the film at Republic) the same year. That was shot on Eastman color stock and printed by Cinecolor (so were THE SWORD OF MONTE CRISTO and ROSE OF CIMARRON, from the previous two years). So it's clear that not all independent producers were contractually obligated to any terms that Technicolor set forth.

As I said, don't take my word for it, check out your old dub of it. The proof is in the proverbial pudding.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Simon, Koster must be a bit off on time. Prince of Foxes finished filming in 1949. I think Power backed off because he did not want to do nay more costume films for Fox at the time.

Jack T - I wrote to martin Hart at widescreen museum about the Robe Flat Eastman Color deal and he said he did not know but would get back to me. today he has. He says he checked with Bob Harris who told him the Flat Robe was definitely Eastman Neg.
Very much surprised here.

Joe C

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Interesting reading. Don't know why, when Jack Theakston says he saw the negative, there was still disbelief and quite vocal disbelief, and why it took more corroboration to finally understand the truth. There's no more story when someone who is knowledgeable says he saw the original camera negative. Glad the mystery's been solved. I'm really looking forward to seeing the DVD next week.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Should we work on a list of questions for The Robe chat?

Twentieth Century Fox and Home Theater Forum Invite You To A Special Evening

Some ideas:

Was there consideration given to releasing the non-CinemaScope version of The Robe as well, as part of a 2 disc set? I've never seen the non-CinemaScope version, and think it would make an interesting comparison.

How long did it take to do the restoration from the very start to the release of the Blu-ray and DVD?

Why did the original DVD of The Robe look so poor compared to some of the fantastic looking DVDs of other early CinemaScope films Fox has produced?

Has The Robe always been a big seller on various home video formats?

How many different film elements were used for the restoration?

What resolution were the elements scanned at?

What was the master format resolution?

Were there any particular shots or scenes that were so damaged they were extremely hard to seamlessly incorporate into the film, without them standing out?

How was the audio restored for this release? Does it come from an original print? Or does Fox still have the music, dialogue, sound effects audio masters?

Are there any other early CinemaScope films undergoing similar intensive restoration?

Were there any technical details about the original production of this film that you only learned of during the restoration process?

Has any consideration been given by Fox for a large "CinemaScope at Fox" themed box, similar to "Ford at Fox" and "Murnau / Borzage at Fox", that could include a lot of lesser known currently unreleased Fox CinemaScope films (e.g. On The Threshold of Space, Blue Denim etc), CinemaScope demonstration reels, short films, cartoons and a book featuring reproductions of materials used to promote the format to audiences, cinema owners, and other studios?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
simon, all good questions. I wish I could bew in on it tomorrow night.

One question can already be answeder. Fox a a fox classics website and almost a year ago, in the coming attractions section, it mentions The Robe speical edition includes flat and scope version.
as we now know, that is a lie. After waiting for this a long time, am very upset that most of the speical features are only on the BD version.

Question - will the flat version be released later. also, the stereo track for the flat version was found in the early 90s. Does Fox still have it?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Can someone ask Fox why they've stopped releasing catalogue releases in England. Is it Rupert Murdoch, does he hate us?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
We're only meant to talk about The Robe. Btu anyway, I think decisions of that sort are made by the local subsidiary.

Most catalogue titles Fox releases in Australia now are just reissues / repackaging of discs they had previously released.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm dissapointed that the Blu-ray got so many extra features, but that's the way of the world now it seems.

Maybe they will release the flat version next Easter? :D But I think it would've made more sense to release them together, like what Warner did for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The questions during the chat will be limited to only questions about The Robe and it's restoration.

Crawdaddy

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
go to foxclassics.com
hit coming attratctions
it says
The Robe special edition includes both scope and flat versions - but in reality, it doesn't - sounds like a lie to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks