What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Man With No Name Trilogy (Blu-ray) (Re-Release) (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steen DK said:
One can only hope that those caps are off 'cause they look dreadful. Did someone soak the film in urine?
They look like they are returning to the original colours, it seems to match the first two films and unlike the Italian release there is no edge enhancement that i can see but bags more fine detail is visible, i'll buy this when it's sold separately.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
They look like they are returning to the original colours, it seems to match the first two films and unlike the Italian release there is no edge enhancement that i can see but bags more fine detail is visible, i'll buy this when it's sold separately.
Ha, what "original colours"? I think I'd remember if I saw a film looking like that in the sixties, but it is sharper, so of course a must buy (not!)...& it is sold separately in the UK, & (for now) that includes Scotland.Not looking good for Giu La Testa.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billy Batson said:
Ha, what "original colours"? I think I'd remember if I saw a film looking like that in the sixties, but it is sharper, so of course a must buy (not!)...& it is sold separately in the UK, & (for now) that includes Scotland.Not looking good for Giu La Testa.
You might be right but it matches the look of the first two releases, the Italian version has the same look as this one but also has edge enhancement, it's a case of making choices and taking your poison, the old release is atrocious, i think this is it for this movie, being a fan of it i need to buy it, i doubt there will be another version that comes out looking different.

I'll have to check Amazon out, i didn't know we were getting a separate release.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EddieLarkin said:
The Italian disc isn't anywhere near as yellow Foxy:

http://i.imgbox.com/pUjpCl1O.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/egpmoIX9.jpg
Yeah i can see what Billy meant looking at those caps.

Would they have anything available to them to get the colours looking correct, some frame of reference. ?

I would be interested in knowing how the other two look in this new set, all three should look alike.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Well apparently they used a couple of dye transfer technicolor prints as reference, along with advice from the assistant cameraman. It still looks unusual to me.

Bruce always has something to say about the colour on new Leone discs, so I look forward to hearing what he thinks.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'll wait until I get them, as I don't know anything about the caps and who posted them. IF the color is as it is in the caps, then no, the dye transfer 35mm print I owned looked nothing like that - it had BLUE skies and very detailed color, as did all of Leone's films.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steen DK said:
Just had a look at a, hrm, "preview copy" - and it looks exactly like those caps. Not a blue sky to be found. :(
Didn't they make a fuss about getting things right for the extended edition with blue skies a few years back, probably back in the DVD days, seems strange they would then muck it up, i mean gorgeous detail in the new edition but screwed up colours, whereas the old edition presumably had the colours right but DNR meant the detail was gone, the consumer can't win.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ronald Epstein said:
This re-issue is a total waste for many of us.

I know Fox reads this forum. I hope they realize that they aren't doing any
of us any favors by making us have to repurchase the same set over again
just to get the re-mastered version of TGTB&TU.

They tried doing the same thing with the recent ROCKY collection. Thankfully,
at the last minute, they released a single Blu-ray release of the re-mastered first film.

At the moment, that doesn't appear to be the case here. Of course, we all know
that within the next 6 months or so, the remastered TGTB&TU will suddenly be
available as a single Blu-ray release.

I generally love everything Fox does, but I just wish the studio would stop playing
this game of placing remastered titles into large sets that people already own instead
of making them available as singles. Is it really necessary to milk consumers this way?
I sold the previous set as I knew this one was coming. At this point I am still tempted to cancel my order though for many of the reasons you mention. I have TGTBTU on SE DVD.
Its a shame that this set was not done properly. In addition if there are already 4K scans done for theatrical viewings of the other 2 films, then why not release them in this set as well?

I guess MGM and Fox want to hold out on us until the next set in a year or so. Either on blu ray or 4K UHD blu ray?

At any rate, I'm on the fence about cancelling my order.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have cancelled my order for the set. I'll wait until Fox and MGM can get it right. I am very disappointed and I hope Fox and MGM pull the set until they can get it right. All of the films should be remastered from the new 4K scans.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
At this point, it definitely looks like I'm just going to wait until they release the full set properly restored. I already have the original trilogy release on Blu-ray, I can wait. There's no way I want to watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in yellow-vision.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, I'll likely cancel my preorder before the release date. Holding out a slim hope that it won't include the "yellow remaster" but if that's what's being included, there's no way I'm paying for this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have cancelled my order for the set. I'll wait until Fox and MGM can get it right. I am very disappointed and I hope Fox and MGM pull the set until they can get it right. All of the films should be remastered from the new 4K scans.
I am going to wait for actual reviews before even considering buying this set.

To hear that another one of the films just got a new 4K scan and isn't even included
as such in this set is alarming.

At most, perhaps I'll just buy the Italian import version.
Holding out a slim hope that it won't include the "yellow remaster"
Joe, that is the biggest concern right now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Caps-a-holic have a comparison up and it shows the same dreadful colour scheme (and their caps are, in my experience, always 100% correct). :angry:
Yuk! You can see how yellow kills blue in those caps. They'll be a few thousand words posted on the net about this. Ah, if only the Italian release had an English soundtrack. A lot of people will buy & love it because with the 4K scan it's sharper & you can see the grain. Ironically, Leone couldn't have seen that extra fine detail, as there was no way to look at the original negative & see a pos. image then, & he wouldn't have seen any grain, & would have complained if he had!

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Steen DK said:
Caps-a-holic have a comparison up and it shows the same dreadful colour scheme (and their caps are, in my experience, always 100% correct). :angry:
Yes, this all but confirms the yellow issue until someone gets their hands on the actual disc. A simple comparison of the pre- and post-restoration screenshots shows that there's so much more detail and natural grain texture, all wasted because of a yellow wash.

Here's a good example:

Pre-restoration Blu-ray:

Remastered Blu-ray:

Just look at that sky! I don't remember TGTBTU being a remake of this film:

kJdQhdx.jpg

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I am smiling quietly to myself.

When the dollars trilogy first appeared, in the UK we had to buy all 3 in a box - if we wanted individual releases we had to import.

Now the boot's on the other foot. :P

I have the various imported/German versions of the first two, so I'll be buyingthe UK TGTBATU as a standalone, and waiting to get new German imports of any new restorations of the first two.

Is RAH aware that one or two of us (possibly three, but I want to be careful not to exagerate) are awaiting his 'few words' on this one?

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks