What's new

TCFHE Press Release: The Great Escape (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I knew this was going to be a wash the moment I saw the low MSRP.. Still, I don't get why people are justifying the low price. Nobody's looking for a bargain - people wanted a high-quality presentation for this important film and don't mind paying for one. This doesn't bode well for future MGM releases. Perhaps they should farm out the great classics to other labels in addition to the B-movies (some of which look great, BTW).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cineMANIAC said:
I knew this was going to be a wash the moment I saw the low MSRP.. Still, I don't get why people are justifying the low price. Nobody's looking for a bargain - people wanted a high-quality presentation for this important film and don't mind paying for one. This doesn't bode well for future MGM releases. Perhaps they should farm out the great classics to other labels in addition to the B-movies (some of which look great, BTW).
Exactly my thought. I cancelled my order when I started to here poor reports. I do not want to support an inferior transfer. The SE DVD will be just fine.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
This is one of those movies from a specific era that I think Robert H. Harris has a real handle on, so I will wait to hear his few words on this release.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I trust Mr. Harris, but more importantly, I do not trust any other site's "reviews" or screen caps and therefore I'm not ready to give up on this release just yet. The last Blu-ray I heard these kinds of reports about was Breakfast at Tiffany's and we know how THAT turned out - rather brilliantly, I thought.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I hate to say it, but I had a chance to look it over the other day, and the negative review is pretty much spot on. It's a very minor step up from the last DVD.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Worth said:
I hate to say it, but I had a chance to look it over the other day, and the negative review is pretty much spot on. It's a very minor step up from the last DVD.
Believe me, if it's true you will not be the only one saying it :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And if anyone wants to know just how specious the review at blu-ray.com is, here is a post made there by the person who is quoted out of context repeatedly in that review so that it seems to corroborate what the reviewer is saying - it's shameless, and you'll read why below:

"[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and share their particular viewpoint. That also goes for the "review" of the Blu-ray of [/font]THE GREAT ESCAPE[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"], which is discussed here. [/font]
[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]Let me be very clear: the viewpoints of Mr Reuben in that piece are entirely his own.[/font]

[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]However, since [/font]my comments[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"] from almost two years ago - an interview I gave to a different person, in a very different context and with regard to a completely non-related master - are part of that "review" and have been used to "drive home" the viewpoints of the writer, reflecting the image of that particular new Blu-ray release mostly in a negative way, I feel it is necessary to publicly say this: [/font]

[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]I have not, at any time, contributed or advised Mr Reuben or anyone else with regard to the new Blu-ray issue of THE GREAT ESCAPE in any way, shape or form - nor was I ever approached or asked in advance for any comments on that Blu-ray issue, its master or related. I also was never asked whether my comments from back then (the old interview) could or should be used in reference or whether this would be appropriate / applicable with regard to that Blu-ray - i.e. whether this would make sense to do, which I do not believe it does.[/font]

[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]I also would never have agreed to it, first and foremost, [/font]because I have not even seen that Blu-ray release yet[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]. Therefore, I cannot comment, and will not comment. To use my old statements in connection with a new release I have never seen, which for the most part have no bearing on that new Blu-ray whatsoever is extremely poor judgment, bad writing, extremely poor craftsmanship in journalism - a field I myself have worked in professionally for more than 20 years - and that would be bad enough one would think. It also misleads the readers in an appalling way. [/font]

[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]But at the same time my comments were placed in such a way to suggest - and "confirm" - the writers sole viewpoint that improper work on the new master was done and that no (proper) restoration was performed. And that is not only quoting out of context, it is misconstruing what I said to make it appear my comments are actual and related to the new release. [/font]

[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]Using my two-year old, unrelated comments as building blocks to "corroborate" the negative view of the author of a new Blu-ray release with a new master I never saw is absolutely unacceptable. Because of the reasons I outlined above, I had asked the author to retract my comments from this column yesterday, which he refuses, claiming he is "entitled". He also, in the same sentence, fully acknowledges that he "was using my comments to "confirm"" his "evaluation that no restoration was performed", something that is, of course, absolutely inappropriate - since I have never seen the release nor was asked now for a comment on that actual Blu-ray release, which I could not have anyway. How he can make this evaluation remains his secret. In the end, it will all reflect on him solely.[/font]

[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]In any case, I have decided that my contributions to the (interview/review etc) content Blu-ray.com will cease with immediate effect. I will post here in the forum to users, if necessary. [/font]

[font="'Trebuchet MS';font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(230"]In closing, let me say this to all "reviewers": If or when I or anybody else has something to say and is being quoted, let it be in reference to something one has actually seen and heard, not something that comes out years later and you don't even know that your comments are used as the bullets to shoot something with. You are entitled to YOUR opinion and to use it, not somebody elses'."[/font]

john a hunter

Screenwriter
haineshisway said:
I trust Mr. Harris, but more importantly, I do not trust any other site's "reviews" or screen caps and therefore I'm not ready to give up on this release just yet. The last Blu-ray I heard these kinds of reports about was Breakfast at Tiffany's and we know how THAT turned out - rather brilliantly, I thought.
But Bruce, it was also heard about " My Far Lady" and I cancelled that and now this.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It was heard about My Fair Lady HERE - from Mr. Harris, who knows that film and his stuff. It wasn't some "reviewer" who knows nothing about film, quotes selectively from an interview that had nothing to do with what he was using it for, to bolster his views. If Mr. Harris tells you The Great Escape is merde, THEN cancel. It may well be terrible - then again, it may not be. I'll know soon enough.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, my copy has arrived at my local UPS facility so I'll be watching this disc on Monday and will formulate my own opinion from that viewing and not some review.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have just had a quick look at this Blu and it looks dark and has lost some of the grain. I saw a 4K in Bradford
last week and that was the best i have ever seen it.

I saw a 2K at Bradford a few years ago and that was nowhere as good as the 4K.

Also the new 4K opens with new Eye MGM Logo as on Skyfall but the BLU and the old 2K open with the old
MGM Logo

Still a great film..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received my BD today and then watched the film in its entirety. It was about what I expected it to be which was less than what it should have been. I'm sure others will make their thoughts known after viewing their BDs.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Robert Crawford said:
I received my BD today and then watched the film in its entirety. It was about what I expected it to be which was less than what it should have been. I'm sure others will make their thoughts known after viewing their BDs.
Thanks for posting, Robert. I've been waiting to hear your thoughts on this title ever since you posted your copy was coming in. Now I hope we also hear from RAH, but it looks like early reports are proving right.

With the Upgrade & Save promotion at Best Buy going on now you can get this title for five bucks. Is it worth that? Does anyone think MGM will ever redo it?

Now that i've watched the whole movie, men this is......not good..
Obviously the print they base this release on is a disaster.
It's the same print i guess that all other home video releases have been made from.
I'm beginning to think that they have really mismanage the OCN.....BIG TIME.
Most of the time a dupe of some sort.
MGM should really be ashamed for releasing this.

Just my 2 cents

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Magnus,

Welcome to HTF. Happy to have you here, even if you aren't bringing
us encouraging news. Hope you stick around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks