1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

TCFHE Press Release: In The Heat of The Night

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]
    In The Heat Of The Night
    While traveling in the Deep South, Virgil Tibbs, a black Philadelphia detective, becomes embroiled in the murder investigation of a prominent businessman when he is first accused of the crime and then asked to solve it in spite of the efforts of the bigoted town sheriff. They're forced to work together in a desperate race against time to discover the shocking truth!
    Special Features ● Commentary with Norman Jewison, Lee Grant, Rod Steiger and Haskell Wexler ● Turning Up the Heat: Movie-Making In the 60's ● The Slap Heard Around The World ● Quincy Jones: Breaking New Sound ● Theatrical Trailer
    In The Heat Of The Night Blu-ray
    Street Date: January 14, 2014 Prebook Date: December 18, 2014 Screen Format: Widescreen 1.85:1 Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1/Spanish 1.0 Mono DD/French 1.0 Mono DTS-HD-MA/Castilian 1.0 Mono DTS-HD-MA/German 2.0 Stereo DTS/Italian 1.0 Mono DTS-HD-MA/Japanese 1.0 Mono DTS-HD-MA/Portuguese (Brazilian) 1.0 Mono DD Subtitles: English/Spanish/French/Castilian/German/Italian/Japanese/Portuguese (Brazilian)/ Portuguese (Iberian)/Greek, Modern U.S. Rating: N/A Total Run Time: 154 minutes Closed Captioned: Yes

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ken_McAlinden likes this.
  2. Richard V

Richard V Screenwriter

Richard
    Ordered, with HTF link.

3. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Wow. About time. Glad to see it.

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I received my copy from FoxConnect earlier and I'm sorry to say the transfer looks rather poor to me. It has a very dated, electronic looking image. It's scrubbed of detail with signs of ringing and aliasing, and digital noise in place of grain. Without any exaggeration, it looks like an early DVD. I didn't expect this film to look great, but I was at least expecting something more natural and film-like for its Blu-ray debut.

5. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I'm going to get this, as I have never owned this title and I'm trying to complete my Best Pictures collection.

6. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    As I have all but two nominees on DVD I'mTrying to get all the NOMINEES on Bluray! Talk about a challenge.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  7. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

I agree. Disappointing transfer.

8. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    Mine is clear and sharp, colors are strong, blacks are strong, detail is improved compared to up-converted 40th anniversary DVD. Right amount of grain for film. I am pleased with it.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I just viewed it from beginning to end and I thought it was pretty good for the most part. There are some optical shots and night scenes that will always look lacking in 1080p, but for the most part I'm please with it. Did any actor ever give three excellent leading role performances in the same year like Poitier in 1967? Furthermore, he didn't even get a nomination that year, probably due to his votes being split among those three films.

10. Michel_Hafner

The criterion by which I judge transfers is accuracy relative to the original source. Pretty or not pretty is irrelevant. Sharp or soft by itself is irrelevant. Clean or dirty by itself is irrelevant. Strong colours or pastel colours by itself is irrelevant. Deep blacks or elevated blacks by itself is irrelevant. They and the rest are all only relevant relative to the source which defines what it should be.
    The stills of this transfers show me a picture that looks digitally manipulated and with electronic noise not part of the original film. It looks dated and typical of transfers done quite some time ago, usually for DVD releases. Not even close to the state of the art for a HD transfer. I can wait for better and will skip this one. There is plenty of better around to buy and enjoy, also concerning classic films from the 60s and before.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    So you haven't view this BD?

12. Michel_Hafner

I don't have to. The stills tell me what I need to know (despite all the claims from still haters that they are meaningless). But if you need an expert opinion of someone who has seen it you can find it here too: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/329127-a-few-words-about%E2%84%A2-in-the-heat-of-the-night-in-blu-ray/ :
    ...Image has more than a bit of an electronic look....
    The rest is up to personal tolerance of an 'electronic look'. Mine is quite low and nice blacks etc. are not making this more palatable to me. Your mileage may vary.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don't need an expert opinion to validate what's satisfactory to my eyes.

TravisR likes this.