What's new

TCFHE Press Release: Forever Marilyn: The Blu-ray Collection (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
haineshisway said:
Thank you for the history lesson, but I've been a film collector for almost forty years and in the business longer. My expectations are that the film look like the film should look. As I said, I owned a dye transfer scope print of Itch so I know exactly what the color should look like. I'm sure that you have seen several Blu-ray transfers from that era shot on exactly the same Eastman stock that look incredible. Watch Bigger than Life. And there are many other examples where the color is correct - Itch is not one of them. It's too soft (and I am not talking about the problem with the mumps) and it's too brown. The sound on Itch is great, but the image should also be great and it's not. I have only one expectation when watching a film I know well - it needs to look like the film I know well.
I'm sorry Bruce, but I just can't get all worked up into the debates of what color is correct. "It's too brown" "Warner's releases are all too yellow" "Fellowship of the Ring is too green" It's all so subjective and people have these distinct memories of how something should look, even though color timings vary each time new prints are struck.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There's nothing subjective about color - it's either right or it isn't. People never seem to get worked up about color because, as you kind of suggest, they have no point of reference. I have no distant memories of anything. I owned a dye transfer print and I know exactly what it looked like. It's not conjecture. This is not a properly timed transfer - it's from a faded element (and not the camera negative, that I can pretty much assure you of) with no attempt to fix those problems which, BTW, are easily fixable. If it were a sound problem, everyone would get real worked up about. If it was a ratio problem, everyone would get real worked up about it. But color? Nope. That gets a pass. Not from me, I'm afraid. One need only look to The Searchers and the raves that sorry transfer, color-wise, got. It's not what Mr. Hoch shot, but it's sharp so raves it gets.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Marilyn's Bus Stop and Niagara will receive separate Blu-ray releases, despite speculation they'd only be included in an upcoming second boxed set. They're both listed as being released on BD on 30 July 2013 on Amazon Canada:

Bus Stop
Niagara

I can only assume/hope that this means they'll be out on Amazon.com shortly as well.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Persianimmortal said:
Marilyn's Bus Stop and Niagara will receive separate Blu-ray releases, despite speculation they'd only be included in an upcoming second boxed set. They're both listed as being released on BD on 30 July 2013 on Amazon Canada:

Bus Stop
Niagara

I can only assume/hope that this means they'll be out on Amazon.com shortly as well.
Hmm... I want them, but I'm tempted to wait to see if we get another boxset. I'm not in a rush.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I would love a second boxed set, containing Bus Stop, Niagara, Monkey Business, Don't Bother to Knock and Let's Make Love.

But with Fox releasing Niagara and Bus Stop separately, it seems to indicate that such a set is unlikely. After all, those two movies would be the biggest draws in such a boxed set, so why release them separately first? If I recall correctly, Don't Bother to Knock and Let's Make Love did poorly in the lengthy Fox poll we had a little while back. Monkey Business is also an underrated and less popular movie.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and there is a second set out soon, but as I say, this is a bizarre release pattern by Fox if that is the case.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As much as I love Marilyn, I didn't vote for Let's Make Love a single time during the polling. It's my least favorite film of her star period. I guess it's mostly to do with her leading man who is simply terrible when he plays the romantic lead in English-language films. But the score isn't great, Tony Randall is a pill, and Marilyn is overweight and apart from "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" not at her best either.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Persianimmortal said:

Bus Stop
Niagara

Very cool! I have never seen either film, but plan on picking up both of them. I'll be looking for Costco or Wal Mart to have both titles for a decent price as was the case last time with the other MM films on blu ray. Good stuff.

Both titles are available for preorder on Amazon.com in the US as well...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Wasn't sure whether to start a thread, but this seemed like a good place to post.

I noticed that Don't Bother To Knock (along with several other MM films) is available to stream via Amazon on Demand.

Essentially, does this indicate that more of the MM films are coming to blu ray in the near future then?

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Bother-Knock-Richard-Widmark/dp/B002D40WRC/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396724153&sr=1-1&keywords=knock+marilyn+monroe

I just finished watching Niagara for the first time ever and I thought it looked amazing on blu ray. Great film!!

Thanks!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am sure we will see more. I just want to have Something's Got TO Give the restoration in blu-ray and the other two Don't Bother To Knock Let's Make Love. Then MOD Marilyn 1963 with Rock Hudson as host.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mark Collins said:
I am sure we will see more. I just want to have Something's Got TO Give the restoration in blu-ray and the other two Don't Bother To Knock Let's Make Love. Then MOD Marilyn 1963 with Rock Hudson as host.
Thanks for the post. Has anyone rented or seen some of the other MM films not on blu ray in HD? Are these the same transfers that will eventually end up on blu ray?

Just curious.

More MM on blu ray sounds great too. I still have 3 to watch, but I have enjoyed all of her films that I have watched thus far.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would like this new that airs on HBO and the other 1980 film is not bad. The best is Marilyn herself in Clash By Night

Marilyn: The Untold Story (1980)
Love, Marilyn (2012)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Marilyn still makes money for Fox and that is why I firmly believe we will get perhaps all the titles I mentioned except Clash By Night which she was great in. I believe that may be a Sony title. Marilyn 1963 would be a great MOD title.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Mark Collins said:
Marilyn still makes money for Fox and that is why I firmly believe we will get perhaps all the titles I mentioned except Clash By Night which she was great in. I believe that may be a Sony title. Marilyn 1963 would be a great MOD title.
I think Warners has "Clash By Night".

Attachments

• 4474616.jpg
    4474616.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 40

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Warners also has "Prince and the Showgirl", which went OOP for a while before they reissued it to coincide with the release of "My Week with Marilyn".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks