What's new

TCFHE Press Release: Forever Marilyn: The Blu-ray Collection (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection#post_3935920
The individual titles are available for preorder too. One of my favorite Monroe films is The River of No Return. Something about Marilyn in those blue jeans.

Crawdaddy

I think the thing I love most about the film is that you've got this really tense "road" film and a father-son rebuilding story, and they still find time for Marilyn to sing four songs in the movie. I think Mitchum and Marilyn have great, combustible chemistry.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not a bad price either. Even if you only need the five new titles it comes out to $14 per film, which is cheaper than buying them individually. And if you don't already have Some Like It Hot and The Misfits it's a real bargain at $10 per film!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mark-P said:
Not a bad price either. Even if you only need the five new titles it comes out to $14 per film, which is cheaper than buying them individually. And if you don't already have Some Like It Hot and The Misfits it's a real bargain at $10 per film!
Thanks for the updates on the preorder!
Still trying to decide what to do.
: )

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Any word re the Special Features in this set? I for one would have MUCH rather had BUS STOP than the tired and hammy (Merman, Ray,O'Connor) THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS in which Monroe is pretty much a supporting character. She never wished to do the movie and it's one of the worst-scripted, garishly ugly musicals I've ever seen (and I love musicals, especially great Fox ones like THE KING AND I). I thought 'Alexander's Ragtime Band' was indestructible until I saw what they did to it in this movie. BUS STOP made the critics sit up and confess Monroe was more than just a sexpot and she was nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance (and there were rumblings of disgust when she was overlooked at the Oscars that year). Even the great Kim Stanley, who did the role on Broadway, went on record stating her amazement at what Monroe brought to the part. Let's hope the set sells well and Fox release NIAGARA and BUS STOP as individual Blu Ray releases. Joe Caps will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe I have heard that when Fox transferred their 3-strip Technicolor negatives to Eastman color 'safety stock', they junked the original Technicolor ones. This is why Fox Technicolor (which used to be arguably the best use of the process in the '40's+ early '50's thanks to cameramen like Leon Shamroy) can never be restored in the same way that many other Technicolor movies were by Ted Turner (inc. most of the Warner and MGM catalogue). They always look a bit "second generation" and going from Technicolor to Eastman color altered the vibrancy and tone of the colors (especially the red palette). The irony is that they have had to make black + white, three- strip separation negatives in order to preserve these from the ravages of fading . Some times they can still be surprisingly good. I'm hoping Fox will unearth CENTENNIAL SUMMER to see what the best print possible of that classic (overlooked) musical looks like. (That is, IF they give us the Best possible rendition of it!)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I would also rather have had BUS STOP, but instead of SOME LIKE IT HOT or THE MISFITS. I for one have enjoyed THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS, with all it's campy acting, songs and dances. This film and GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDS and HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE to me are the tent poles of the collection. But different people like different things and that is to be respected.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
AHOLLIS I think How to Marry a Millionaire is a great movie. I also love Lauren Bacall in this film! I want more Bacall on BLU. Wish Designing Woman could be released in HD on blu from WB. I think the DVD edition has been OOP for a while.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just assumed that Bus Stop, Niagra, and Let's Make Love (among with some other supporting turns in films) were held back to sell a second set of Monroe titles on Blu-ray maybe in a year's time (if this set sells, that is).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection#post_3952718
I just assumed that Bus Stop, Niagra, and Let's Make Love (among with some other supporting turns in films) were held back to sell a second set of Monroe titles on Blu-ray maybe in a year's time (if this set sells, that is).

That's what I am hoping for also. May it come true.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Blu ray review of The Seven Year Itch.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/7yearitch.htm

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Did Fox send screener discs to HTF? I'd love to read reviews of these. It won't affect my buying decision as I already sold off my SLIH and pre-ordered the box from Amazon when they had it for $69.99

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't around in the mid late 50s to have seen it personally. Nor do I have extensive knowledge of the natural look, stocks and original processing of these films- but was River Of No Return always a symphony of teal leaning blues and orange faces as seen in the DVDBeaver caps?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection/30#post_3953419
Did Fox send screener discs to HTF? I'd love to read reviews of these. It won't affect my buying decision as I already sold off my SLIH and pre-ordered the box from Amazon when they had it for $69.99

If we get them (and I was warned by one of the PR reps that review copies will be in short supply), they likely won't arrive until the week of release.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I picked this up in Australia in-store on special for AUD $48! It's released here like the US version, with the 7 films, all dual-layered discs. Packaging is a bit different - the discs come on two standard-width (ie. UK size, not the skinnier US size) multi-disc BD cases, 4 films in one, 3 in the other. there is a thin slipcase to house the two cases and a rather feeble booklet with photos and a few quotes line from the films here and there.
View here - http://www.sanity.com.au/products/2211877/Forever_Marilyn_Blu-Ray_Collection
I haven't checked them all out yet, but 'Some Like It Hot' and 'The Misfits' appear identical to the existing US discs. 'The Seven Year Itch' looks nice - a little soft in places and perhaps the colours are a bit faded, but overall it seems like a nice natural image.
'Gentleman Prefer Blondes' looks pretty eye-popping although not that sharp. I had to do some very close A/B comparison with the DVD to notice the increased resolution, but it's there. The colours are different from the DVD - more blue in some scenes, while skin tones appear more red/orange.
'How to Marry a Millionaire' looks pretty amazing - the colour is gorgeous even though the picture is fairly soft. I don't have the DVD to compare it with. However, the opening scene with the orchestra is stunning in its clarity and colour.
'There's No Business Like Show Business' looks OK but not brilliant on a quick glance - the colours are perhaps more subdues than the other films and the image is not that sharp. But I guess that's the nature of the film stock...
haven't looked at River of No Return yet. None of the discs I've flicked through seem to have any nasties like excessive DNR.

flixyflox

Auditioning
Real Name
david hare
Bugsy, which chain was it instore?
Online best price is 56.99 or 59.99 from JB.
Thanx

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Hi David,
Yes, it was JB Hifi - they had a one day only by invitation in-store sale with 20% off discs. Still, the standard price of $59.99 is quite good.

flixyflox

Auditioning
Real Name
david hare
Yes it is, also free post.
Sabrina and Funny Face BDs at 15.99 are also a bargain. I paid the equivalet of a a small country's GDP to freight the FF from France.
Menawhile I guess Amazon UK is best option for the Universal Monsters box and Hitchcock box.
Thx for headsup anyhow.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was floored by the price of this standalone Blu-ray

4a11442c_51KgnT1PxcL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Year-Blu-ray-Robert-Strauss/dp/B0089J28C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343677457&sr=8-1&keywords=Seven+Year+Itch+%5BBlu-ray%5D

$8.86 on Amazon. Very cheap for a preorder

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection/30#post_3955813
Was floored by the price of this standalone Blu-ray

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Year-Blu-ray-Robert-Strauss/dp/B0089J28C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343677457&sr=8-1&keywords=Seven+Year+Itch+%5BBlu-ray%5D

$8.86 on Amazon. Very cheap for a preorder
WOW - I agree, just yesterday it was $20.00. I see that the rest of the singles are still at $20.00. Wonder what the reason is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks