What's new

Tax Software (TT vs. TC) (1 Viewer)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Same here with the refund. I've been using TC for about three years now (including this year's return) and would recommend it to first-time users.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Have you guys considered preparing your taxes online? For the last 2-3 years now, I've been preparing and e-filing my taxes online. TaxCut has an online prep and e-filing service. With this route, you don't have to load any software onto your PC.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I've used TaxACT Online for three years now. I believe their is just a regular software version as well. I just login every year and update the previous years info and I'm done. Since the first time using it, I've gotten married, bought a house, started paying off school loans.........it's been painless and easy to file.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I have used TaxCut for the last few years and will probably use it again this year.

The only downside... I have to file partial years in 2 states this year. So with TaxCut Deluxe, I will have 1 state for "free" and will probably have to pay more for the other state... Or is there somewhere where you can do detailed state taxes online for free?

LewB

Screenwriter
Time to revive this chestnut ...
Any NEW reasons not to switch from Turbo Tax to Tax Cut ?
I plan on switching from TT to TC this year because of the changes Intuit has made to Quicken, here's why:
In past years, when buying TT, you would get a rebate from Inutit that would cover the cost of the 'Basic' version of Quicken for the new year.
This year, you get the same rebate (up to $30), but the 'Basic' version of Quicken has ben replace by the 'Starter' version. The Starter version does not allow you to import your data from a previous version of Quicken. If you want this year's version of Quicken to migrate from last year's version, you need to buy the 'Deluxe' version of Quicken for around $60. :thumbsdown:
Now Intuit guarantees that they get at least $30 from it's established users that upgrade to this year's version.
Yeah, I got spoiled by the 'free' upgrades, but I really don't need anything more than the basic Quicken.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

Was this questioned ever answered? Can you e-file multiple returns if you purchase either TT or TC?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You can definitely file multiple returns from TaxCut. I've done that, I don't know about TT.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
You've done multiple e-file returns or regular returns? I suppose it's ok if I only get 1 e-file. I'd just like to know what I'm getting. The TC website doesn't specify how many e-files you get.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone looked into the online version of TaxCut this year? The previous two years, I've used the basic online TaxCut for $9.99 plus e-file to great success. This year, the basic online version is nowhere to be found, replaced by a "Premium + E-file" which is $19.95 but includes the e-file. I'm single, a renter, with one source of income and no investments so I don't need anything fancy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm total confused as to why they're offering a deal on personal finance software that's 3+ years old! :eek:

Oh, this thread is from 2004...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

But I'm interested in the quality of TaxCut (packaged, though, not online). I'm upgrading my personal finance program, and I figure I might as well get tax software to play with as well.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm , i just ought the $40 tt software.
maybe i should have picked up tc.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I used the on-line version of Turbo Tax since I get a corporate discount and my W-2 info can be imported in. Since I'm a first time home buyer I needed the help of a tax prep package. It was nice seeing the refund numbers go up as I started to add the interest, points, property taxes, etc. to my deductions. First time I had enough deductions to itemize. Well worth the $25.00 I spent.

One nice thing about Virginia is that you can do your state return on-line for free through their Department of Taxation's website. Something the feds don't allow due to the power of the tax prep lobby.

LewB

Screenwriter
I found 1 VERY important difference (at least to me) between the 2 programs. Turbo Tax allows you to import info for your brokerage accounts, while I did not see that included with Tax Cut.
I've become used to (lazy) importing my brokerage info when doing my taxes.
I will stay with Turbo Tax even though I'm not crazy about Intuit and the way they support Quicken.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I've used Tax Cut for the past few years and had used Turbo tax before that. They both seem to work just as well as each other as far as I am concerned. Tax Cut has had better deals when I've gone to purchase it. I just got it (Premium Fed +State) plus Veronica Mars S3 (for "free") today. Plus I have a $10 rebate certificate I can send in.

The only unfortunate thing is that I just noticed that they don't support WindowsME any more. So, I need to use a different PC in the house (which has XP). I also really should get a new computer for my nominal home stuff (it is about 7 years old), but I'll address that in another thread.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks