What's new

Target employees read (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Can you be fired for one no call no show?
I heard you are allowed 3 before termination.
Is it a write up first?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
sagelike advice, i wasn't sure if she should try it or not.

erin, does target give you any kind of documentation when you get hired, maybe it's in an employee handbook or something.

CJ

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Could it depend on the state? Such states as "right to hire - right to fire" could let you go with no warning for not showing up. Point is, if you're not showing up, one time or one hundred, why would you expect to NOT get fired?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amen to that. Whether they can be fired or not, it's extremely rude, immature, and irresponsible. If the person doesn't want to go to work, call in so the company can at least get someone else to cover the shift.

On the subject of being fired, apparently you can now be fired from Circuit City simply if they feel you are making too much money.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This is a little silly. If you can't make it to work that day, just call in. That's an option that's a gazillion times better than just not showing up.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> On the subject of being fired, apparently you can now be fired from Circuit City simply if they feel you are making too much money.

I don't get that one- obviously a CC employee can't be paid more than CC is willing to pay them, so how does the company decide they are making too much?

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that in most states, a company can fire anyone for any reason at any time, or no reason at all.

Yes, definitely call in rather than not showing up. But from a business viewpoint, I wouldn't fire someone for just one no show like that, since I would just have to replace them with someone else who might be even more unreliable. Good help is hard to find.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
On the subject of being fired, apparently you can now be fired from Circuit City simply if they feel you are making too much money.

Does this policy mean that Circuit City Management is going to fire themselves? ;) After all, if there is any group that is making too much money for what they actually do it is management.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In the article, it implies that upper corporate bigwigs feel that management at the store level has been overly generous when offering salaries/raises.

Neal_C

Second Unit

Its likely that the bonuses were going to be less because there was going to be less profit.

And for the OP, I hate to be harsh, but I would fire you. It is simple enough to call in and take a sick day or whatever. You should never not call (unless it is an emergency, in which case call as soon as you can or have someone call for you...the employer will understand in that regard).

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Sorta related, but I just got a raise today.

My boss complimented me on how good my reliability, work ethic, and overall performance was. I ALWAYS call in if there is a day I can't go. Sure, I'm late sometimes, but it's usually just from traffic (even on a bike, traffic is a problem), my alarm clock, or something else forgivable.

Just to show you, reliability really helps in the long run. If you're gona not show up, call in danget! Why wouldn't you call in? At least pretend your sick if you don't want to go to work (but, it's recommended you DO show up for work, if you feel like it or not).

You just got taught by a 16 yr. old! :D

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator

Usually as a condition of your employment, your first 90 days at Target are considered to be probationary, where Target has the right to fire you for any reason.

You should have received all that information in your employee handbook, or through the kiosks inside the breakrooms.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A teenager with a work ethic? Next you'll be telling me unicorns exist, too. ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i had a great work ethic when i was 16, but there was almost nobody using the internet, i couldn't brag to strangers!

CJ

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> In the article, it implies that upper corporate bigwigs feel that management at the store level has been overly generous when offering salaries/raises.

But wouldn't they have set ranges at the corporate level that dictate what can be paid? I can't imagine store managers having the power to set whatever pay rate they wanted.

> Usually as a condition of your employment, your first 90 days at Target are considered to be probationary, where Target has the right to fire you for any reason.

That's true most at most any employer, and in most states you can drop the part about 90 days.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
oh man, you just zinged me so hard there. now I won't have any time to 'go on forums', I will be too busy crying in the corner. take it easy on me next time.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks