What's new

Talking Politics isn't allowed on the HTF.... (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
....but is there a site that I can go to that has intelligent discussions on politics - without loudmouths, wackos, agenda-pushers, and bomb-chuckers?

I know that this is probably an impossibility, but I was looking for a sensible site I can go to for politics.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Of course, the catch is, if I mention one, we are suddenly talking politics on the HTF.

"You're crazy! That site is full of whackos!"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
A lot of the major papers have pretty terrible discussions, actually. Most of them just get flooded with flamers (on both sides) who deal exclusively in discussion by screaming rather then reason.

There are some that are OK (forums.sptimes.com) because they've managed to stay small but still veer off into spammers also.

The big sites are all partisan, and therefore reflect the view of that community.

There you go.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Or you can can settle for the thinly veiled political discussions in the Gas Prices, Global Warming and Real ID Act threads :laugh:.

--
H

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

No, probably not. Read a range of wacko, nutjob site and decide which is the most sane for you. One person's reasoned arguement is someone else's manifesto of doom, it would be like me telling you whether you like chocolate or strawberry shakes better.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Depending on what side of the political aisle you sit on, there are a bunch of political blogs out there that have some great discussions. Some of the best discussions I have seen include folks from across the political spectrum.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
From my experience with a few forums that I'm interested in:

SEC football off topic forums lean heavily to one side.
Music newsgroups (Pearl Jam, Springsteen, etc) lean heavily to the other.

Not hard to figure out which way they respectively lean...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I always thought it would be cool to start a forum to specifically talk the "forbidden subjects", set its mission statement to encourage all points of view, and only allow established, trusted, adult HTF members to join.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Don't quite know the answer to Jay's question, however, the ever so slightly tarnished Floyd Landis seems to have brushed up against all three.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Something like this has already been done, but it turned out to be a complete train wreck. It only proved that people like to argue, and when their arguments start failing, they start name calling and acting like total morons. It rarely matters that they can state their case logically and calmly on this forum for the topics that we are discussing here. It also really takes only one flaming jerk to completely derail a discussion.

For these reasons, I doubt that a good public forum for these forbidden topics could be found.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

While I love the idea, the execution would probably fail. Forum information and discussions have some amount of "leakage" into other areas of the board. Human nature :)

Besides, do you really want to know how stupid all of your online buddies are???

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks