What's new

Talked to a Salesman @ a local specialty HT ctr. today, is he accurate? (1 Viewer)

Duke72

Agent
Real Name
Brian Aucoin
I told him I was getting the Panasonic AX100U projector, he told me it was junk. He said 2000 lumens were low and that I would be changing bulbs once a year or so. Is this accurate? am I going to cheap on a projector? I heard that you get a lot of bang for your buck w/ this one. My room will be very dark does the lumens matter as much in a dark room?

For Audio he recommended the following:

Receiver Denon AVR2307C
DVD Denon 1930C
Filter Panamax M-5100E
Speakers Boston Accoustics DSI-460
Flush mount in wall
Center Boston Acc. VRC
Sub Boston Acc. XB-6

How does that sound "Literally"

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Double post.. you also posted in basics area but here it is again...

Check the review at projector central
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ax100.htm

I don't see a UPS (uninturpted power supply) in his "list"

I would suggest putting that into the mix. If you have a sudden power loss you don't want the projector to power off before cooling down or you will have a short bulb life.

Duke72

Agent
Real Name
Brian Aucoin

Thanks Steve, I have something like that for my computer, it keeps power 30 minutes after power interruption. Is that the same thing?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes at least that gives you enough time to power down the projector properly until your power is back on.

Hope you had time to read the reviews on projector central.

I see no problem with that projector other than the salesman wanting to upsell you.

The Panamax might be a little overkill. A good Surge protector is always recommended. We use panamax but there are lower levels that will offer you surge protection for you needs.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I also answered you in the other section. Duke, this belongs in the TV/Projectors section. That salesman is either lying, or he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. But the Pan. AX100 is overpriced, and you don't need a bright projector like that for your dark room(You'd be paying extra for high lumens you don't need). The Sanyo Z5 would be about $500 cheaper, 3 year warranty, and bright enough for your room. Are you considering a DLP projector? I prefer a DLP projector, but you need to decide which type you prefer.

buggs

Grip
Real Name
Scott
I just purchased the Sanyo Z5 on ebay for 1,499 and it includes a $200 manufacturers rebate. If you have controlled ambient light it is a great deal. Your dealer is out of his mind - the Panasonic is considered a "light cannon" and really shines (pun intended) in applications where you do not have control of your ambient light. Both the Sanyo and the Panasonic have really taken care of many of the LCD downsides...

You can pay more, but for most applications - I would say you are wasting your money. I know that the decrease in price and accesability of high quality projectors is frustrating for some media professionals but don't be fooled.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Real crazy question, what if your projector is mounted in the ceiling.
What about someone who is using ceiling tiles?
Has anyone used a ups in which your projector is ceiling mounted?
If so, where is the ups in relation to the projector?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Well if it's a drop ceiling then it just goes above the ceiling. If it's a drywalled ceiling then the electrician needs to be involved so the UPS is accessable before the projector plug. The UPS could be on it's own circut directly from the Circut Breaker box for that matter. You could just have the electrician wire a plug at the projector to another input plug either at equipment or werever your ups would be. Then just plug the ups into power and into the projector input plug that leads to the projector.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Yes, you don't need that many lumens, especially if your room is dedicated and/or 100% of the walls are black. My old Sanyo has less than 1000 and it looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks