What's new

Tales of the Gold Monkey in the works ? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I have a multi-region player, and I would ABSOLUTELY buy this set, music replacement or not. God, I loved this show!

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
From what I understand, most, if not all, of the songs would remain the same, but would be rerecorded by performers from whom clearances can be obtained. I don't think it would seriously impact the series, even for diehard fans. Most of the music is just instrumental music playing in the background of scenes. But they'll always be a few purists who will be a tad upset.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I too will buy the region 2 dvd when it comes out. A region free dvd player is such a good investment.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

I too will buy the region 2 dvd when it comes out. A region free dvd player is such a good investment.

I completely agree, and have to thank my good friend Jeff Willis for introducing me to the wonders and advantages of owning a region free player!

Gary "no 6 Million Dollar Man in my library without one" O.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
i just got season 3 of the Bionic Woman from Germany. Great sound and video. And it has the original English track. Great!!!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

...This show was, if remember, trying to cash in on the "Indiana Jones" movie craze at the time. I thought it was well-done for a TV series....
Yes, very well done - ever notice Jake and Corky seem similar to Terry and Hotshot Charlie From the 1950's TV Version of "Terry and The Pirates"? :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

i just got season 3 of the Bionic Woman from Germany. Great sound and video. And it has the original English track. Great!!!
Sounds good. I'm still trying to wait for a UK or Au release but not sure how much longer I can hold out. I've known about that German release but have not wanted to navigate the German Amazon site for it.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I tried waiting myself, but after 5 or 6 months I figured it wasn't coming out. Of course with my luck, they will announce a British release in just a few weeks, now that I bit the bullet and spent the money for the German version. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Sounds good. I'm still trying to wait for a UK or Au release but not sure how much longer I can hold out. I've known about that German release but have not wanted to navigate the German Amazon site for it.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
One of my favorites shows of the 80's!
I had all the episodes recorded from TVLand but I can't find them and I don't have a vcr anymore so I'm waiting too.

Edited by Randy*S - 7/18/2009 at 07:08 am GMT

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ironicly I was just today looking at my collection and noticed that I only had one of the two sets of Talespin, and that got me thinking "Man, I wish Tales of the Gold Monkey was out!"

So yes, I'll buy this show in a hot second!

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
It's finally going to happen!!! I just heard from Richard Walker of Fabulous Films again. The masters were in excellent shape and the music issues have been resolved. So Tales Of The Gold Monkey - The Complete Series [DVD]
ir
is scheduled to be released on October 26. The SRP is £59.99, but Amazon.co.uk has it available for preorder for £43.99.

Planned extras include: episode synopses; series synopsis; cast biographies; stills gallery; a brand new Making Of documentary featuring Stephen Collins, Caitlin O'Heaney, producer Tom Greene and director Harvey Laidman and a 26 page Collectors Booklet. Mr. Walker is going to LA next week to conduct interviews and ask NBC/Universal if they have any outtakes available.

I almost forgot to mention more good news. It seems that Fabulous Films has bought the UK/Australia DVD rights to another short-lived '80s cult show from NBC/Universal:

STREET HAWK!

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
I just received this e-mail from Richard Walker of Fabulous Films:

I need a favor! Any chance you and the fans could come up with some questions for the interviews. I should be doing from the 6th Sept
Stephen CollinsTom GreeneHarvey Laidman
and from Street Hawk - Rex Smith
Anybody have any questions they'd like answered?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to ask to make sure: This release is a UK Region 2 PAL release, right? I wanted to ask for others here as well.

Any news about a possible Region 1 upcoming release?

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
The info above is for the Region 2 set. The Region 4 set will probably come out around the same time. There's still no news about the fate of a Region 1 set. I have no idea if Universal still wants to release it themselves or if they would be willing to sell the US rights.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DVDiva

The info above is for the Region 2 set. The Region 4 set will probably come out around the same time. There's still no news about the fate of a Region 1 set. I have no idea if Universal still wants to release it themselves or if they would be willing to sell the US rights.
Thanks for the info! I'll have to think about this one due to the current exchange rates. At today's rate, £43.99 = $71.58 . I remember the days when the US/UK rate was a lot less than this.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Originally Posted by DVDiva

I just received this e-mail from Richard Walker of Fabulous Films:

Anybody have any questions they'd like answered?
Not neccessarily a question, but it would be nice if Stephen Collins could talk a little about how he met his wife on the set.

I would love to buy this set, but right now don't have a region free DVD player. Also with the exhange rate quoted above, plus shipping, this will be an extremely expensive set.

If the masters are in such great shape, I don't undertsand why Universal can't just release region 1 already?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TV_Fan ">[/url]

Not neccessarily a question, but it would be nice if Stephen Collins could talk a little about how he met his wife on the set.

I would love to buy this set, but right now don't have a region free DVD player. Also with the exhange rate quoted above, plus shipping, this will be an extremely expensive set.

If the masters are in such great shape, I don't undertsand why Universal can't just release region 1 already?
[/QUOTE]Region 1 vs R2: Anyone's guess on why we're not hearing about an R1 release. The clearance/rights issues vary with different regions. Examples are the 70's Bionic shows that have been partially released in R2/4 but nothing in R1.

Regarding an R-free player, you may be able to hack your with a code from your remote unit to enable the R--free funtionality. An online code site is [url=http://www.world-import.com/all-regioncode-free-dvd-players.htm]Here [/url]is an online store site. That's the way I went with my player. Best home ent purchase I've made.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
44 pounds? Yikes - that's something like about 80 bucks (give or take). That's worse than the Doctor Who releases. As much as I'd love to get my hands on the show, I'll have to pass until it hits a much lower price point. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks