What's new

Taking stock of M.I.A. Paramount Blu-rays... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dear Paramount, Criterion, Olive, Warner Bros. and whoever else might be licensing titles from Paramount:The list to follow is just a sampling of the Paramount library I own on DVD which I am especially hoping will emerge on Blu-ray soon (I am not a young man). Warner Bros, you own the bulk of these for a few years, but other than the announced STALAG 17, you seem to be sitting on these... you won't be getting your money's worth at this rate! (What happened to the promising Warner/Paramount double-features you were turning out some months back?)ATLANTIC CITYBAD NEWS BEARSBRIDGES AT TOKO RIBRINGING OUT THE DEADCATCH-22CHANGING LANESCIVIL ACTION, ACONFORMIST, THECONQUEST OF SPACECOURT JESTER, THEDEAD ZONE, THEDESPERATE HOURS (1955)DETECTIVE STORY, THEDISORDERLY ORDERLY, THEDON'T LOOK NOWDOWNHILL RACERDRAGONSLAYERFIVE PENNIES, THEFRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLEFUNNY FACEGALLIPOLIGOODBYE COLUMBUSGREATEST SHOW ON EARTHHATARI!HOUSEBOATHUDI MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACELADY SINGS THE BLUESLAST TRAIN TO GUN HILLLIL ABNERLITTLE PRINCE, THELONGEST YARD, THEMAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, THEMARATHON MANMOLLY MAGUIRES, THEMURPHY'S WARNAKED JUNGLE, THENAKED PREY, THENASHVILLENEVADA SMITHNOBODY'S FOOLNORTH DALLAS FORTYNO WAY TO TREAT A LADYNUN'S STORY, ANUTTY PROFESSOR (1963)ORDINARY PEOPLEPAPA'S DELICATE CONDITIONPAPER MOONPARALLAX VIEW, THEPHASE IVPLACE IN THE SUN, APLAY IT AGAIN, SAMPRESIDENT'S ANALYSTPRETTY BABYRAGTIMERED TENT, THEROMAN HOLIDAYROMEO AND JULIET (1968)SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHERSERPICOSIMPLE PLAN, ATARGETSTERMS OF ENDEARMENTTIN STAR, THEWAR OF THE WORLDSWHEN WORLDS COLLIDEWILL PENNYWITNESSYOU CAN COUNT ON MEI'm sure this will be added to, but those are titles I would buy day one.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I buy here for FOUL PLAY, L'IL ABNER, FUNNY FACE, HATARI, and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. I would also like to add IN HARM'S WAY, DONAVAN'S REEF, and GREASE 2.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
ORDINARY PEOPLE---WITNESS----RAGTIME----ANGELAS ASHES ---CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD.. How much longer are you guys going to make us wait???????

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You know what I want? More consumers like us that will buy so many units of these catalog titles that it would force the studios to take notice of this very profitable revenue stream. Sadly, except for a vocal minority on boards like HTF, there just isn't enough of us to entice them to increase their BD output for catalog titles. It's the reason why I have both my Oppo players region-free modified and why I'm streaming-ready with Roku, Apple, Amazon and other sources of such stream material. I had to adapt my purchasing ways to fit the current market for catalog titles. Yes, we can blame it on the studios as that always helps us relieve some of our frustrations. They're so easy targets anyway for a number of reasons. However, it's not as simple as that, as the current retailing business, technology advances, mass market buying tastes/habits and the economy plays a major part as to why we're not getting the number of catalog titles we crave on BD.

I just wish there were a lot more of us to force changes in the marketing place so we can feed our thirst for more classic films on BD.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I would add THE APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ, BLACK SUNDAY, HUSTLE, and THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY to the list.

I believe a Warner rep indicated in an interview I read that SERPICO is forthcoming on Blu-ray, possibly paired with DOG DAY AFTERNOON.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I do think Warners are waiting for burn-on-demand blu-ray to reduce the cost of pressed discs and their distribution. Also, for non-collectors, streaming may be sufficient for viewing films. I will shortly be buying a multi-region player to play Criterion and Olive (now that they are region A coded).

I am sure like most others I am buying far fewer blu-rays than DVDs simply because the number of (classic) titles being released is much lower. It is a shame about Warners because they control well over half of my most wanted titles.I think the best we can hope for is that over time most of the titles we want will be slowly released by different distributors worldwide.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are Paramount using new masters or old masters with some baked in issues for these Warner bros releases. ?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Desperate House? :lol: I know what you meant!
Also The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Funny Face are already available region-free in Europe.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Like others, I certainly wish that more catalog titles were being released on BD and I would agree with Robert that other means such as streaming and imports play a role for enthusiasts who wish to see older films in the best available manner.

I remember when a lot of the titles in this thread had not yet been released on DVD (I didn't do a comprehensive check to see if they are all were released on DVD). The point is that eventually a number of the titles were released and I hope the patience of the fans is ultimately rewarded with more catalog releases on Bd.

In addition to a number of the titles mentioned...

The Keep - Not even a DVD release yet. Will this ever see the light of day? It seems doubtful, but I can hope.
American Gigolo - More Paul Schrader on Bd please.
Don't Look Now
Bang the Drum Slowly - Haven't seen this in ages but really liked it back in the day.
Danger: Diabolik - I would like to see the production design (if nothing else) in HD.

Seconds is available for pre-order from Criterion in August, otherwise it would also be in the list.

- Walter.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Three I'd really love:

L'il Abner

The President's Analyst

In Harm's Way

& I hope there's some way that One-Eyed Jacks can be released.

Edit. And of course not forgetting Samson & Delilah!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks