What's new

Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I was looking through Amazon's list of upcoming releases and noticed that Dead or Alive is slated to be released on May 27. There will be an R-rated version and an unedited director's cut. As I recall, Amazon didn't have a lot of details on the discs. Still, this is a title I have heard a lot about and would like to check out. I really enjoyed Audition though I had heard good things about Ichi the Killer and was underwhelmed by that one.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Is Ichi on DVD?

I only recently discovered Miike, and I haven't been this excited by a new director in some time (maybe he's not so new?).

My first experience was "City of Lost Souls", which I'd like to see again now that I'm more familiar with his work. I liked it quite a bit, but wasn't bowled over.

Audition? That one bowled me over. It was a perfect experience for me... I rented it on a recommendation, got the disc from Netflix (no cover or spoiler-ridden blurb) and watched it "straight". At first, I thought "hey... it's like an updated Ozu family melodrama!" And then... well, you know... to say I was extremely rattled would be the understatement of the year. By the end of the film, I'd managed to wedge myself well under the couch.

Since then I saw "The Happiness of the Katakuris", which had me literally rolling on the floor! When Grampa said "SUUUU-IIII-CIDE" and Junior struck the Elvis pose, I almost needed oxygen. And when Fuji erupts and Poochie is saved? I passed out from lack of same!

So, now I've got "Visitor Q" on the way. Unlike "Audition", I do know a bit about what to expect. I saved it for last for a reason, and I'm not sure I'll be able to quite take it... but it is Miike, after all!

Any other Miike on DVD?

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I ordered Ichi on VCD from dddhouse.com. It was like under $5 plus shipping or something like that. I believe they have Happiness of the Katakuris as well, which I may pick up sooner or later. Though I have only had limited exposure to Miike - Audition and Ichi - I'd have to say that I prefer his more stylistic approach with Audition to his...outrageousness with Ichi. I hope I'm not spoiling anything, but what is with this guy and severing feet? :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think Dead Or Alive: Final is making its way around the art-houses via Kino; hopefully it'll play the Brattle here in Cambridge (since both Audition and Katakuris did pretty well there).

And I'm with Rich where Miike is concerned - I've only seen three of his movies, but all of them have astounded me in some way: Dead Or Alive for the filmmaking tour-de-force it opens with and its insane ending; Audition for how it turns from a really good romantic comedy to... well, you know; and Katakuris for being absolutely insane comic brilliance. I'm looking at what Amazon has right now, and I'm filled with a kind of fear and excitement: I know some of these will be repulsive, but that there will be brilliance, too.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Are all the items Amazon shows legitimate releases? I'm at work so I haven't had the time to really check into it myself. I did notice that some of those were items Amazon themselves were selling (which I assume are legit) and others are available via Amazon users (which may or may not be, right?).

EDIT - Nevermind, I looked a little more closely and see that Amazon does indeed offer those titles. Kind of strange that some of these have been released and I haven't seen them anywhere.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"DEAD OR ALIVE" on 5/27!

Which is the preferred DVD for "City of Lost Souls"? Is it the Tai Seng version?

And I've got "Visitor Q" on the way from Netflix. I expect to be completely appalled, and likely as impressed as I've been with any of his work. I've saved it for last on purpose (though I see that "Fudoh" is on DVD--not quite as interested in that title and not available at Netflix), and I wonder if I'll like it even more than "Audition"?

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't seen DEAD OR ALIVE, you're in for a treat. One of the best openings and closings of any movie ever !

Kino just recently released DEAD OR ALIVE 3 theatrically (but did not for DOA) and I understand that all three films will be coming from Kino this year.

ICHI THE KILLER is out on a (severely cut) R3 DVD and a 2-disc R2 Dutch disc. Media Blasters will be releasing the film theatrically in the States, followed by a DVD release, I'm guessing, by the end of the year. ICHI is wonderful in its own right but is not for the faint of heart.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The 2 disc Dutch release of Ichi is excellent. HKL will also be releasing it in R2 this summer.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately although the HKL version will have some good extras (Bey Logan is the king of commentary), Ichi will be cut by about 3 minutes due to UK censorship.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks