What's new

T2 Extreme vs. T2 Ultimate comparison screenshots (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Sam: Can you do a comparison of the doctors all walking down the hall at the 14:00 mark (on the special edition UE). This will be the edge enhancement test. :D

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Definitely a significant improvement. This will be even more noticable on my 61" screen.

Thanks for the shots, Sam. You are the first person on the entire Internet (that I can see) to review or show comparisons.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Oh YEAH! Just look at the texture of the grass in the first set of shots. It's not hard to see at all. I even like the colors a little better on this new one.

Yes, I'm still angry as hell at Artisan for the worst looking transfer of Reservoir Dogs possible, but I love T2 so much I won't be cutting off my nose etc. etc...

-Lyle J.P.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Look more closely at the pics, the Extreme has much better, natural colors --- not looking overly dark. Check out the van and tress in the back ground. You can see much more detail.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up my copy from a store that breaks street date on a regular basis, wink wink nudge nudge.

I'll post my comments on it later tonight.

BTW: If you're looking for a packed special edition, this is not it.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Hi Sam Davatchi

I read to use the T2 extreme high def in Europe - you need to set up a US proxy server in the IE settings. Once you have installed the licence you can then disable the proxy server.

When you get it working - can you post some screen grabs.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Great pics, Matthew!! The Extreme Edition is looking more impressive by the minute.

I'm still curious about that shot that I mentioned in my post above.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, the time codes on the DVDs are off. Is it the close-up shot of the doctors walking or the far shot?

And the video transfer might be a BIG step up (the audio sounds exactly the same as the previous 5.1 EX on the UE), but the extras are a GIGANTIC step down.

Gruson

Second Unit
Matthew, check your PM.

Thank you!

So the EE is only the special edition? Damn, I prefer the theatrical.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Matthew, I see that you have resized your captures. It wouldn’t give accurate comparisons since there are different resizing methods and also you are reducing the resolution to 404 instead of 480. Loosing a lot of information. It would be great if you do your captures at the original NTSC size of 720 x 480. That’s the exact size of the real and encoded image on DVD.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Sweet! Is that a docu about the evolution of CG in movies because of T2? Thats awesome

And dammit...the screen caps are about enough to convince me to rebuy this.

Now about that commentary. Is it screen specific this time or assembled from interviews again?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
If you have the ultimate edition DVD you should definitely keep it. It’s the ultimate bible for T2 behind the scenes information. This new extreme DVD is just complementary and has only two featurettes. One 20 and the other 8 mins. The first is directed by Van Ling himself. It’s a beautiful documentary on the evolution of digital effects which brought tears to my eyes for a second! Stan Winston talks of Cameron, Spielberg and Peter Jackson as the important figures who evolved and used correctly the technology. Yes I know, no sight of George Lucas and the Star Wars prequels! He also says something like “I say to people who get worried they are going to loose their job each time that a new technology comes out, don’t worry, art never dies!”. Just paraphrasing. It was actually right there when I got tears!

John Simon

Second Unit
I've got to be honest: I was initially skeptical of this re-re-release, but the more I see of it, the more I think of it as a "Matrix Revisited" DVD. In other words, I think this is a really great oppurtunity to fix the few flaws that existed from the UE. I mean we get a new transfer and a commentary by Cameron, not to mention some new docs and a experimental HD version. For the price it's going on DDD, I really don't know how any Terminator fan can pass this up.

The more I think about it, I just want to create a custom cover for a 4-disc case. When I want to watch the Theatrical version with DTS or watch the definitive documentary, I'll pop in the UE. If I want a new transfer or the first Cameron commentary on one of his blockbusters, I'll pop in the EE. I may hate constant double-dipping, but I think Artisan made up for it with this one.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I read to use the T2 extreme high def in Europe - you need to set up a US proxy server in the IE settings. Once you have installed the licence you can then disable the proxy server.

When you get it working - can you post some screen grabs.
I would be grateful if you be more specific how I can do this.

Ben Rockwell

Agent
Just out of curiosity, anyone know why Artisan didn't make the improvement look this nice on Reservoir Dogs?

On a side note, those screen caps tell a huge difference. I bought the UE about two wks before the EE was announced, so I'm probably gonna skip out on this one. I just don't have enough room for dual releases right now (or the money).

Thanks again for the heads up to the original poster...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks