1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sync Issues When Watching Cable

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Marc_Sulinski, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Well-Known Member

Ever since I switched from my old CRT rear projection video unit to a Sharp 60" LCD (LED) unit, I have noticed a sync issue with the sound and video. From what I have read, the likely culprit is the 120Hz processing. I like the effect, so I am hesitant to turn it off.
    My configuration involves an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV, and a coax (or optical, can't remember which) for audio from the cable box to the receiver. The receiver is old (HK AVR7000) so it has no HDMI pass-through, nor does it seem to have a general delay setting to delay the entire input.
    Which is my best option:
    1. Some kind of in-line device for either an optical or coax cable that can introduce a delay (if this even exists)
    2. A new, modern receiver
    3. Tweak the delay for the "Center" setting only on the receiver. It does have this capability. I should be able to get the voices to match, but will this introduce other audio issues, like if someone is talking out of the left/right speaker, or mess with the music syncing up?
    I generally only notice this when watching TV, though it could be an issue with Blu-ray as well, I just don't watch them that often. Does this even make sense? Could it be that the TV can do the processing faster on film-based materials faster than on video-based ones?
    Thanks