What's new

Symptoms of DLP bulb burning out? (Toshiba 46HM84) (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Hello,

The last few days, no matter what input I'm watching (cable, DVD, or gaming) - all of which don't go through the same switches (so the connections are fine) - it looks to be a very noisy signal on the screen, along with some colors slightly messed up. I guess I liken it to a component input looking worse than an RF input.

Can the bulb already be going? Has anyone else experienced what I'm trying to say? If I continue watching, after a minute or two the colors /noise will disappear and the normal image will be showing. After maybe another 30 mins, the noisy/bad colored image will come back.

Thanks for any assistance,
ELmO

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
On my LCD RP Sony my bulb shattered and everything went very dark. With a new bulb the picture was brighter than before the old one went out. If the DLP is similar I would think that symptoms would be either a dimmer screen or nothing.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
argh not the answer I was hoping for...I guess I'll go back behind my TV and see how the bulb looks, and also play with some connections I guess.. =(

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Here's a much better description. When the TV is fine (I watched about 6 hours of TV yesterday straight and it was fine!) - if I put a picture into natural mode (and it's not HD) - I get GRAY bars on the side.

I just turned it on this AM and after 5 minutes, the problem starting occuring. I put it into natural mode, and they rae PINK/PURPLE bars. The color does not fluctuate, they stay pink/purple. Channel numbers are that same color. Channels are all mixed colors and looks noisy.

It's only been a few weeks since I got it from OC.

The last image somehow doesn't show the noise, you can see it esaily in the second picture in the upper left it looks banded and it's constantly modulating or something so it doesn't even look as good as it does in that picture - lol.

Thanks for any more info,
ELmO

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Not a lamp.

Lamps tend to
a. not strike
b. be dim
c. be odd colors - slowly evolving toward greenish, generally.
d. explode.

If you're getting option A, don't try to force it, because it'll be more likely to D, and that's generally bad. (Not because it'll directly damange anything, but because if you don't get all the glass out, you might get some lodged into one of the fans which would be bad.

This is, from what I'm seeing of your description, a logic problem inside the projector. For some reason, it's not driving a 'green' signal to the DLP chip when the green filter is in position.

If you were brave, you could always try percussive maintenance... or just reboot the display (cycle power) until it works... not really good for the lamp, either...

Leo Kerr

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks Leo. I've just been playing jade Empire on XBOX for about the past 3 hours and it hasn't messed up once. It's very odd. When I first start it, it will mess up a couple times the first 10-20 minutes, then it seems to figure itself out and is fine the next few hours (until I shut it off). Onecall gave me a number to contact a toshiba technician (who hopefully can fix it in my own house) - I am still under warranty...

Thanks,
ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
The past few days I've used it for about 20 hours and no symptoms appeared. I will let you know if it comes around again and then I will call a tech...:D

Just updating to say onecall replaced the set when that was occuring. I just had a similar problem with the same model that I sold to someone (argh! terrible luck). Had the set for almost 2 years with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks