What's new

Symphonic Metal - Dutch (1 Viewer)

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
The US DVD/CD combo is basically a watered down hybrid of the European DVD release and the double CD. The Euro DVD has two discs: the concert itself which includes a few extras (this is what is in the US release) and a second DVD of other extras, including an older concert. This second DVD is also the second disc in the Blu-Ray release. It's a region free PAL DVD.
Being the sick bastard I am, I bought the US hybrid release, the Euro double DVD, the Euro double CD set, and the Blu-Ray. I'm afraid to do the Euro-to-dollar conversion to see how much money I needlessly blew. Oh, what I do to get my fill of Sharon.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Being the sick bastard I am, I bought the US hybrid release, the Euro double DVD, the Euro double CD set, and the Blu-Ray. I'm afraid to do the Euro-to-dollar conversion to see how much money I needlessly blew. Oh, what I do to get my fill of Sharon.
I did almost the same thing: I bought the US hybrid, but was bummed by the single CD, so I bought the dual DVD/dual CD import collection (4-disc set), just because I wanted the whole concert on CD. I could have saved $$ with the CD-only release until I found out about all the extras on the second DVD, not knowing if it would play on my DVD player (it does). Then I read that the region-free BD would play on my PS3, so I HAD to have it.
Bottom line: Buy the BD. It's worth it because Sharon's worth it...
(Man, that Little Dutch Girl owes us BIG time...)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Package one just arrived from The Other's Laser Edge:

Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall

Sirenia - Sirenia Shores

Sirenia - An Elixer for Existence

Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens

Can't listen to them at work and I won't get home until late tonight so my initial impressions will be brief, but hopefully good!

Very impressed by the turn around time with Laser's Edge.

Hopefully Amazon and my screw up on the German import ($70 - ouch!!!) will get here soon as well.

Be back tomorrow pm with a review.

Jason

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Thanks Jason. I just listened to a few songs off that latest album and do not like the new singers voice at all, very weak and lifeless compared to Tarja's.
While I like Tarja's voice better, I think "Dark Passion Play" is a near-masterpiece. It doesn't GET more "full-blown symphonic" than "The Poet and the Pendulum," and "Amaranth" is a wonderful single. My only fear is Anette singing the older stuff, but I can't imagine Tarja singing ANYTHING off "Dark..," either. Tuomas is writing songs that fit Anette's natural singing voice.
But I still think that Simone Simons fronting Nightwish would have been almost otherworldly in it's awesomeness...

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Quick impressions as I didn't really get a good chance to listen to these new CDs as much I'd like to.

Sirenia - Nine Destinies and a Downfall - not bad. Some songs were okay and others were really good. I can't remember the songs off hand, but I'm sure I'll get into it more this weekend. Sounded more popish than Sixes and Sevens.

Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens - good stuff. Sounds a lot like Tristania's World of Glass. Cookie monster growls much more predominant in this album than Nine Destinies. Come to think of it, I don't remember any cookie monster growls in Nine Destinies. I like it better than Nine Destinies, but this is only after listening to these two albums for about 40 minutes.

The other CDs I didn't get a chance to listen to. Haven't even read the CD liner notes.

Will update once I get more time to actually listen to these CDs - hopefully this weekend.

Jason

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I guess that means there's going to be a delay between the release of the new CD and the inevitable tour.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
According to their website, they had no intention of touring this year, anyway. I don't know if she's been pregnant as long as that post, but they ARE recording a new album this year...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just picked up a sealed copy of Epica's Consign To Oblivion off ebay, fantastic. It just arrived today and it's been playing none stop. Some seriously great music.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I was totally surprised by Consign to Oblivion. I didn't think I would like it as much as Divine Conspiracy, but it just as good to me. I think at this point, anything with Simone singing is bound to impress me.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

While browsing the LaserCD website, I stumbled across Silentium and took a chance, ordering their last two CDs. Overall I like them, although I am not sure what to think about the lead singer. Her voice is fairly weak, but sounds quite nice at times. Instrumentally though they are very very good. It's not as aggressive as say Nightwish, but there are some great sounding arrangements, particularly with the slower songs.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I ordered a bunch of Leaves' Eyes stuff back on the 26th, and I haven't got it yet. I've been ACHING for this stuff since I heard the track "Senses Capture" off Pandora.com a few weeks back. Yeah, I'm interested in Silentium, but I'm enjoying Amberian Dawn in the meantime...
I can't believe this thread has gone on for two pages already...

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Did a bunch of listening to Sirenia over the weekend. All in all, it's pretty good. Some of their earlier work reminds me a lot of Tristania's World of Glass (that's good) and some of the stuff sounds like Therion's Secret of the Rune's (again, that's good).

Some of the songs are really good, and some are just sort of okay. I'll try to give a more indepth review later on this week (I'm listening to After Forever right now).

Jason

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Amazon's been putting Leaves' Eyes discs on my personal Gold Box page for days now. Maybe I should check 'em out.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Just picked up Sirenia's newest CD. Cost $80 plus $10 shipping. Ouch! Next time I must remember to read the fine print for the North America release.

Have not listened to it yet. Will do so tonight and give an update.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Jason, that's RIDICULOUS. Send it back and suck up the shipping charges! $90 for a CD is INSANE! Even Sharon isn't worth that much for a single CD! ;)
EDIT: My Leaves' Eyes CDs came today. I can't get over the song "Senses Capture" off the Elegy EP. SO damn CATCHY...
Ignore the Final Fantasy video and just enjoy the song...it's INFECTIOUS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOu2Y...x=0&playnext=1
But, you know what? The "homemade" video is pretty damn cool!

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Jason Kirkpatri said:
Just picked up Sirenia's newest CD. Cost $80 plus $10 shipping. Ouch! Next time I must remember to read the fine print for the North America release.
Have not listened to it yet. Will do so tonight and give an update.
Dang man, you got ripped off. Why was it so expensive?? Next time, if you can't find a CD for a reasonable price, just ask around here. I'm sure the other fans posting in this thread can suggest places to buy stuff at a more reasonable price. Amazon.com marketplace sellers have it for less than $20. There is one seller called Caiman who I buy from all the time and their prices are usually really reasonable.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
James Lee said:
Dang man, you got ripped off. Why was it so expensive?? Next time, if you can't find a CD for a reasonable price, just ask around here. I'm sure the other fans posting in this thread can suggest places to buy stuff at a more reasonable price. Amazon.com marketplace sellers have it for less than $20. There is one seller called Caiman who I buy from all the time and their prices are usually really reasonable.
Unfortunately, I ordered from Germany. The North America release isn't until April, but I didn't see that when I was on Sirenia's website. I know...a lot of money...I'll never live it down.

Fortunately, this is Sirenia's best album so far. It's really that good. It's heavier than their previous stuff and the vocals, although limiting in range, are spot on. There's a few tracks that are so-so, but the tracks that really cook (track 1, 4, 7, and 8 EDIT: and 9, must not forget track 9!)
It's somewhat hard to describe, but roughly, heavy guitar riffs combined with monophonic backups with some nice violen work as well. It works very nicely as a complete package.
Back to work.
Jason

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Well at $90 total, I think it's safe to say you are a Sirenia UBER-fan.

I just ordered the new Lunatica, Mind Odyssey, and Autumn from Laser's Edge (lasercd.com). Whoever it was that recommended that place deserves a big thanks. The prices are great and they ship stuff very quickly.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
James Lee said:
Well at $90 total, I think it's safe to say you are a Sirenia UBER-fan.

I just ordered the new Lunatica, Mind Odyssey, and Autumn from Laser's Edge (lasercd.com). Whoever it was that recommended that place deserves a big thanks. The prices are great and they ship stuff very quickly.
Agreed on the lasercd.com site. I ordered from there and I had my CDs within the week. Big thumbs up from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks