What's new

SyFy's Helix Season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have no idea how this all moves ahead, but being totally in the dark seems to be helping this show for me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that the actress who plays the CDC doctor with the tumor is also credited as "guest starring"; is she going to be the next one to be shuffled off this mortal coil?This episode seemed like a lot of wheel spinning, but I perked up when the security guard told Billy Campbell that the army man had killed Doreen (and later stabbed said army man in the abdomen).The show's making the mistake of thinking that the storyline with Dr. Hiroshi Hatake is suspenseful. Suspenseful is when you know everything but the one thing you're desperate to know. We know nothing about Hatake's background, goals or agenda, so it's just boring filler for me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Aaaaaaand I'm done. It's infuriatingly slow and stretched out. It feels like the contents of a 2 hour movie pulled membrane thin over the frame of a 13 episode season. I can't invest any more time into this show because it's mostly walking around in circles. How many scenes of Billy Campbell talking to his bedridden brother do we need? How many more conversations between the same sets of people with nothing to add do we need? How many more episodes of Helix do I need?

Zero.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
frozen screaming artic monkeys,

between hallucinations, tis is a very slow burn, what I am thinking its that I am going to DVR the whole thing and watch in one setting,

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Being sick with an unknown virus this weekend, I marathoned episodes 3-6 of Helix...My favorite line, from the now departed Dr. Boyle, was "Where the hell is my monkey?" I'll miss her meandering accent.Sarah has cancer.What do I know now? They have a cure for every known, natural virus that is 100% in effective in killing the virus and 75% effective in killing the host. It does lose to Norvic B.Peter Farragut (the brother) may or may not have been merely a worker bee, caught up in the machinations of Dr. Hatake and co. Norvic B appears to be a carrier to inject DNA into a human host. As a weapon, it is a bad choice as it makes the target stronger and deadlier. As a means to create a super-warrior, the results are uncontrollable and dangerous to its creators*. Dr Hatake claims the goal is a cure for cancer, and nothing is actually carried by the Norvic virus yet, since it has yet to be made workable. So, he is ignorant of what might be causing the mutations.Dr. Hatake appears to be The Wolverine. He can also stop the Infected with his steely gaze. And perhaps his blood was used to cure Julia and make into a new creation. She flashed silver eyes (reminded by this thread) that Hatake has early on.He keeps a collection of human heads buried in the snow. Also, the frozen monkeys, fleeing from who-knows-what, might not have been dead. Thawed by fire, they were re-animated, which I now understand ties to the next detail: Norvic B, cultured in the lab, grows like bonkers, like spanish moss in timelapse. It is slowed by cold.Maj Balleseros is working at odds of Hatake, despite being employed by the same people.Daniel Aerov, the security guard and like-a-son to Hatake, is likely the kidnapped twin from the local village; one of many grabbed by the outpost.This is a decent show. Its deficiencies in acting and story-telling are made up for in its marvelous moodiness and stylizations. And the CG and makeup for human vectors is impressive. * Read Justin Cronin's "The Passage" for more fun on this theme.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
dana martin said:
frozen screaming artic monkeys,between hallucinations, tis is a very slow burn, what I am thinking its that I am going to DVR the whole thing and watch in one setting,
It's a good for marathon viewing. I only planned to watch one or two episodes.But each one ends with a big shocker (Dr. Boyle crushed), and I had to keep watching.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It has the benefit of a terrific setting. Nice unconventional use of music again with “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies” in last night's episode. I also liked the cryo doctor. Any character who's introduced by way of the Three Stooges has a lot going for him.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I really liked this weeks ep. Now we are slowly pulling back the layers to reveal more of the story. I'm interested in where this goes now that it's becoming apparent that there are those who either are the conversion or were before.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not usually a Jeri Ryan fan, but her character's introduction was just the shot in the arm this show needed. It's nice that her objective is pretty straightforward, even if her tactics and strategy aren't necessarily straightforward.Really wondering what the deal with the silver eyes is.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is this pretty decent? A little backed up on the DVR, so have all the episodes stored up. I trust you guys, so let me know if it's worthwhile.

Thanks

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
It might be worth recording all 13 episodes and then having a marathon, Stan. It's slow going but has terrific atmosphere.
I think I will do that. Thanks for the advice.

Wish I had done the same thing with "Atlantis". Been watching it in mini-marathons of 3-4 episodes. Should have just DVRd the whole thing and watched all at once.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
It might be worth recording all 13 episodes and then having a marathon, Stan. It's slow going but has terrific atmosphere.
That was my plan -- until I heard they were planning on a second season.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
mattCR said:
I think this has a great Twin Peaks type feel. Maybe not for everyone, but I am loving how little I know.
Funny you should mention that, because this past episode I was thinking myself that it felt like the music on this was taken directly from Twin Peaks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Day 7 was excellent! My favorite episode so far. Perfectly time narrative to clarify the story, add some answers, reveal new questions. I realize I'd lost track of Narvic A vs Narvic B. I'm still confused over who is infected by A and who is infected by B, and who's merely dying and who is a vector. It seems all humans are infected by B and become vectors. But it's clarified / reminded that Narvic A is the original outbreak (notionally) that the CDC is called in to fix. B is something else that Hataki's staff was going rogue on. The plan is to have a curable, genocidic virus we understand. To thin the herd. This B: they allude to something deeper by the phrase "The Willis Hypothesis". I presume some are looking for a super-human creating virus. Or perhaps one that creates prefect servants, a subjugated class rather than having to kill off the imperfects. Sutton has the same silver eyes. And now does Julia. For which Hataki was deeply grieved. That was the most wonderfully unexpected and intriguing detail this episode.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Day 7 was excellent! My favorite episode so far. ...Sutton has the same silver eyes. And now does Julia. For which Hataki was deeply grieved. That was the most wonderfully unexpected and intriguing detail this episode.
The silver eyes are quite interesting. Why does it repel the vectors? Was it designed into it?

Did anyone not predict the Sutton/Balleseros interaction in the episode?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
NeilO said:
The silver eyes are quite interesting. Why does it repel the vectors? Was it designed into it?
My best guess for the moment is:
DaveF said:
This B: they allude to something deeper by the phrase "The Willis Hypothesis". I presume some are looking for a super-human creating virus. Or perhaps one that creates perfect servants, a subjugated class rather than having to kill off the imperfects.
The vectors are partially this subservient class. They are programmed genetically to not attack the overlords, with the silver eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks