What's new

SWAT season 2? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I received my S2 set today and watched the terror ship and few other episodes. The S2 set quality is very good in terms of its sound/picture. However, the two episodes i watched were different in a way on how SWAT was being portrayed, especially appearing on doing more investigation into the crimes. I did not think the role of SWAT was to investigate the crime, but support police in particular situation, i.e. hostage taking, bomb threats, terrorist actions, etc.
S1, which was short appears to stay to its roots to what SWAT was expected to do in their mid 1970s.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have been watching SWAT S2 this week and have thoroughly enjoy this show. I did notice some interest things about the show intro. The sniper (James Coleman) grabs the sniper rifle and enter the van with the sniper rife, but when he exits the fan he is carrying the m16.
Hondo was a married man with kids in S1, but S2 it appears he is single and there is no mention of his family.
Mark Shera's character is a bit of playboy and that makes it interesting with his colleague James Coleman, who tends to be shy. Robert Ulrich doe not play much of lady's man, which is far cry from his character on Vega$.
Rod Perry does an amazing job as the 2nd in command, especially providing leadership to shera, coleman and ulrich's SWAT character.
SWAT is amazing show, it is too bad it was only on for two season. The techniques of SWAT are very similar with today's police officer training. I would think like Adam-12 that SWAT would provide good training for future SWAT officers!

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
younger1968 said:
I received my S2 set today and watched the terror ship and few other episodes. The S2 set quality is very good in terms of its sound/picture. However, the two episodes i watched were different in a way on how SWAT was being portrayed, especially appearing on doing more investigation into the crimes. I did not think the role of SWAT was to investigate the crime, but support police in particular situation, i.e. hostage taking, bomb threats, terrorist actions, etc.
S1, which was short appears to stay to its roots to what SWAT was expected to do in their mid 1970s.
Actually in season 1 there were several episodes where they investigated the crime, the two that come to mind are "Coven of Killers and Death Carrier" but I am sure there are others. I think it was in the first episode that the Hondo character stated that S.W.A.T. would help out the regular police when needed. I am sure the show had to be embellished to make it interesting since it would be boring for them to just sit around until they were needed.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
younger1968 said:
I have been watching SWAT S2 this week and have thoroughly enjoy this show. I did notice some interest things about the show intro. The sniper (James Coleman) grabs the sniper rifle and enter the van with the sniper rife, but when he exits the fan he is carrying the m16.
Hondo was a married man with kids in S1, but S2 it appears he is single and there is no mention of his family.
Mark Shera's character is a bit of playboy and that makes it interesting with his colleague James Coleman, who tends to be shy. Robert Ulrich doe not play much of lady's man, which is far cry from his character on Vega$.
Rod Perry does an amazing job as the 2nd in command, especially providing leadership to shera, coleman and ulrich's SWAT character.
SWAT is amazing show, it is too bad it was only on for two season. The techniques of SWAT are very similar with today's police officer training. I would think like Adam-12 that SWAT would provide good training for future SWAT officers!
Some other things that are different is that in season one the T.J. character was engaged. In the final season he was single which made it easier for him to get the upper hand on the Luca character in a few episodes when it came to dating.
In both the first season and final season they used stock footage so no matter what order they came out of the weapons room and headed out the door once they show them coming up the stairs to get into the van they are in the same order as the opening credits. Also in the episode "Murder by Fire", T.J. is in the hospital but when they get in the van he is there with them since they used stock footage.
Lots of things like that but it is still one of my favorite shows!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
peggy said:
Some other things that are different is that in season one the T.J. character was engaged. In the final season he was single which made it easier for him to get the upper hand on the Luca character in a few episodes when it came to dating.
In both the first season and final season they used stock footage so no matter what order they came out of the weapons room and headed out the door once they show them coming up the stairs to get into the van they are in the same order as the opening credits. Also in the episode "Murder by Fire", T.J. is in the hospital but when they get in the van he is there with them since they used stock footage.
Lots of things like that but it is still one of my favorite shows!
Hi Peggy,
Thanks for the posting!
The interesting thing about S2 is that Hondo's character does not talk about his family In S1 Hondo's family was very prevalent and there was an episode where Hondo talked about being foster family. Deacon was was also a family man and does talk about family life in S2, especially the courtroom episode when Deacon gives advice to Street about marriage.
I have watch many episodes and notice the quality is very good. The story lines in S2 are equal and in some cases better than S1.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
younger1968 said:
Hi Peggy,
Thanks for the posting!
The interesting thing about S2 is that Hondo's character does not talk about his family In S1 Hondo's family was very prevalent and there was an episode where Hondo talked about being foster family. Deacon was was also a family man and does talk about family life in S2, especially the courtroom episode when Deacon gives advice to Street about marriage.
I have watch many episodes and notice the quality is very good. The story lines in S2 are equal and in some cases better than S1.
I would have to say that in the final season (S2) they just wrote out Hondo's family like they never existed. Hondo has a few romantic encounters in the final season. I have always joked that Steve Forrest wanted to be more like the younger actors on the show instead of being tied down. Ha Ha!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sounds like they sent Betty Harrelson to the same place Chuck Cunningham went to! :)

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I have been unable to locate this at any major retail outlet. I assume it is only being sold online?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have given up on releases at walmart, best buy, future shop, etc as the shelf space in non-existence. I strictly order online through amazon as they have the sets and are little bit cheaper if you pre-order.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Season 2 has certainly seen a dramatic change from the standard stories in Season 1. So much so that it almost has an entirely different vibe. I will say I miss not seeing the family aspect integrated with those characters. I think that made them more accessible, rather than being single Playboys. But overall the stories are much better and certainly carry a little more flare for violence than the first season. Certainly an eye opener, but good stories nonetheless.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Classic44 said:
Season 2 has certainly seen a dramatic change from the standard stories in Season 1. So much so that it almost has an entirely different vibe. I will say I miss not seeing the family aspect integrated with those characters. I think that made them more accessible, rather than being single Playboys. But overall the stories are much better and certainly carry a little more flare for violence than the first season. Certainly an eye opener, but good stories nonetheless.
SWAT episodes in S2 were very good. I have watch the set and love S2. I like the last episode with Luca must die, especially on how people changed their stories.
Deacon's character was like the father figure in S2 as compare to S1 which had Hondo and Deacon both discussion their family life. Robert Urich's character seem to take a lesser role in S2 as compare S1. I am still fan of Robert Urich and have Vega$ on DVD and look forward to S3/V2 coming out in August!!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Enjoying S1 very much at the moment and looking forward to starting on S2, if I have to be honest though I think The Rookies is probably the more interesting show storywise with SWAT quite obviously not given a tremendous network budget to work with. It's still a lot of fun in that old simplistic shoot 'em up fashion we're sadly not seeing on television anymore, how fun would it be to see something colorful and innocent in TV action again. The best or at at least better Steve Forrest show for me is still the underrated mid-60s gem The Baron, have you seen that one Paul? It's highly recommended and expertly done, ITC's first color series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
Enjoying S1 very much at the moment and looking forward to starting on S2, if I have to be honest though I think The Rookies is probably the more interesting show storywise with SWAT quite obviously not given a tremendous network budget to work with. It's still a lot of fun in that old simplistic shoot 'em up fashion we're sadly not seeing on television anymore, how fun would it be to see something colorful and innocent in TV action again. The best or at at least better Steve Forrest show for me is still the underrated mid-60s gem The Baron, have you seen that one Paul? It's highly recommended and expertly done, ITC's first color series.
Thanks for the info about the Baron! I do have the Baron on dvd. The baron was a great show, even though it was only on for 1 season. I have seen Steve Forrest in Dallas where he was playing a ranch hand that later claimed to Jock Ewing.
I believe the actor that played Luca ended up with a role on Barnaby Jones.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Mark Shera, yes. It's interesting to see how some of the young actors back then, like Urich for example, would shape and clearly benefit from more acting classes between this and Vega$ where he's pretty damn good actually. Or even someone like Michael Douglas, would become excellent as a movie actor later on while he's a little bland and faceless early in his career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks