What's new

SW EP II - DVD - not the clearest? (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Call me crazy, but I think it's a bit on the dark side (no pun intended). In many shots I can't see the stars, and this is even after using the "THX Optimode" to double check my settings.

Neil

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sean, you can't get blood from a stone

Episode 2 is shot on low-resolution videotape (a solid notch below 35mm) and blowing it up to 70mm and putting it on a 5 story screen.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'm well aware of that Jeff, it's clear the source is worse off than a 35mm print (or any of the transfers done by Disney to the format. However, It is still odd that parr of Yoda's anatomy would pixelate in the middle of a shot (and it's pretty bad pixellation too, far too large to be artifacts from the source I think, especially since he's a CG character).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Sounds like their degrainer interpreted skin tone as grain
Is that possible? I was under the impression that the IMAX print was made directly from the digital source and not from a 35mm print, so it was all image processing done on the original digital data.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sure, they still need to blow the image up, and part of that process is a degrainer. Since Ep2 basically has no grain (it does have CCD noise) it found something that looks like grain and BAM! They would have transferred the movie to digial before the blowup anyway.

Jeffrey Bane

Agent
This film transfer is 'okay' when projected from the front. Like someone else said earlier in the thread, the CGI looks great, but the actors look 'fuzzy.' There are many films out there with better transfers.

"The emperor is nekkid."

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I went to an a/v shop the other day to browse all the HD equipment I can't come close to affording and they were showing Episode II on a 50" (or so) HDTV. The scene I saw was where Obi Wan goes to that planet (yeah, yeah, I know, how vague can I be?) where he's investigating the clones' existence. He's walking around these white and ice-blue corridors and there are these lanky, pale aliens that run the complex. Watching this scene on the t.v. I was amazed at how quivery the image was. I don't know the specific hardware they were using, but this just looked kind'a blah. I walked out of the store a few minutes ago reminding myself "it didn't look that good; you don't need an HDTV... didn't look that good; you don't need an HDTV... didn't look that good; you don't need an HDTV...)

Anyhoo, that's my two cents and further proof that pennies should be discontinued (see "Other/Off-topic" thread for THAT debate)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks