What's new

SVS's mid-line MTS-01's announced (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Has anyone seen the news yet on SVS's news page seen here. These pictures look like renderings, but I'm not so sure I like the looks of them. I mean, I'm sure they sound great and are probably worthy of their price point, but I don't see them as aesthetically pleasing. There is too much roundness to them, and the wood grain mixed in, I'm not too sure I like that. Maybe my opinion would change seeing them first hand. Anyone else want to chime in?

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Those were my exact thoughts too when I first saw those pictures. Maybe they look nicer in person.

Pete Austin

Agent
I’m a proud SVS owner myself and as much as I was anticipating their first foray into larger speakers, the renderings posted definitely had me scratching my head. I have to say that I’ve seen the “blister” look (wood sides) done in various applications and I’ve never seen it executed well. The aesthetic of it is just plain awkward looking. SVS has always had the WAF attached to its products because of size. Now it’s size and appearance. I’m right with you in hoping that production photos look better. Ridiculously great components for the price though.

Larry_C250

Auditioning

Really - no offense, but lets say I'm from Missouri. SHOW ME . Have you heard the components? Have you seen the actual price of these components?

Hey, I'm just playing devils advocate here. Tell you what though - those speakers better sound a lot better than they look if they hope to sell a lot of them.

Though there's another ID company out there that makes gorgeous looking speakers - I've heard a couple of them. They sound like these SVS's look - HORRIBLE. So my guess is these speakers from SVS will be good - but that's just a guess. Only time and real reviews from real people will tell the tail (i.e. customers who buy them vs. people who are paid to review them).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
A lot of organically-shaped equipment (including cars) with flowing lines like these speakers include don't always look great in 2 dimensional i.e. photo form. So IMO seeing them in person will be the best way to judge them.

So just guessing here, but I think these will look pretty nice and will blend smoothly into the average living room.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

At this point, I own a SVS PCi sub, and the lower end speakers (SBS-01's) they offer. Truly great values all around. I know they did a lot of R&D for these mid line speakers. based on my prior dealings with SVS and the products they currently offer, I have no doubt that these speakers will sound terrific and are likely worthy of the price point. All I'm saying, is that I'm not so sure on the aesthetics of the speakers in the pictures posted so far.

Also, I don't think SVS pays companies to review their speakers, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they send their product to be reviewed to only a few internet websites and niche reviewers. They mostly rely on word of mouth. Which on this forum, is overwhelmingly positive.

Not to get too far off topic or hijack the thread, but, when I ordered my speakers from them I filled out a small questionnaire as to what products Id like to see them manufacture. I suggested bass transducers (shakers). I think they would make a killer one. Unless you buy a Tactile transducer, most shakers only go down to about 20hz, not only that, but there aren't a whole lot of affordable bass shakers out anymore. This product would also go well with their current offerings. I hope they take my suggestion seriously.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
It will be interesting to see if SVS can sell flat black with "cheeks" at that price point. Ascend Acoustics when it moved into this price range with the Sierra 1 didn't try the flat black that is on the other Ascend models.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Wow, I guess I’m the only one who thinks they look pretty cool. Except for those protruding feet the towers have anyway...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Those feet do look a little funny. I'm also not sure about the rounded top. Might take some getting used to. I'm betting that they will (except for those feet!).

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker

Actually if you look around other forums and do some searches they ARE fairly high end components...and for a phenominal price
Its fine to play devils advocate but at least back it up. What ID comapny are you talking about? In your opinion what sounds good? Everyones opinion is just that and opinion and everyone has one.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Make that two people. I think they look great and straddle the line between geek chic and WAF very well.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I was immediately impressed with the look of these...very cool. They don't look very traditional, perhaps, which might be off-putting.

If they're voiced like the SBS but are even better, these will be fantastic. Great components it seems. And coming from SVS, the actual design/engineering will be sound, which is not the always the case ( I doubt they'll be sending out revised crossover parts, etc., to customers). As always, SVS stuff will inspire lots of anonymous ankle-biting from a small, dedicated crew, but that mostly serves to bump threads to the top.

Love to hear these!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like the look of them. I have no idea what people are complaining about.

I'd like to audition and review the towers. Maybe see how they compare to my Thiels. What do you say Ron? ;)

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Back in late May I had a business trip take me to Pittsburgh, so I took the opportunity to drive up and see the guys at SVS. There I was fortunate enough to get a glimpse of these speakers. The 3D renderings do not do them justice. They were gorgeous! These will be my next speakers, and I'd always figured you would have to pull my Bostons from my cold, dead hands.

-Robb

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yeah my first impression is I thought they looked very nice! I don't know what I was expecting, but looks wise, they exceed my expectations. Since many feet only serve as an estedict on carpet, I strongly suspect the feet are more inspired for functionality?? Anyway hats off to SVS for moving away from the traditional (although imo would look great in a traditional setting) and coming up with speakers that I'm sure pics don't do justice as Robb mentioned.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
I love the rounded top - no one will try to put anything on there!

I think they look pretty good - I don't need new speakers, but I would check these out if I was in the market

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's also a structural, and audio benefit to the rounded top.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks