What's new

SVS subs (1 Viewer)

Junie

Agent
Hello everyone. I have been thinking of getting a new sub real soon. I know getting a quality sub will make a big difference in my system. I hear so much about the SVS subs (particularly the cube subs). I don't hear much about the cylinder subs anymore. I know many users of the cubed subs are very satisfied. I wanted check and see if the cylinders have been surpassed by their cube counterparts. I have never had the pleasure of auditioning any of the subs to truly hear what I've been missing. I am sure any SVS choice I make will be better than what I have now. I thought about getting a Paradigm Servo 15 but I thought before I fork put that amount of cash to shop around some more. (I did not want to spend over 1000.00 either) I have a decent system to work with located in my family open to the second story. I have a Rotel 1068 pre pro, a Rotel 1075 amp, Paradigm Studio 20's as my fronts, Paradigm CC350 for the center channel, Phase Technology bipole/dipole for the rear and the sub is a Cerwin Vega LW15. I been putting this to gather for some time getting a piece here and there. I do about 70% movies 30% Music. I can't wait to replace the sub and really enjoy my theater. Thankful for any input.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
SVS only makes one "cube" sub, and the reason to get it is the compact size, at a sacrifice in performance. The main benefit of the cylinder subs is the small footprint, but you are limited to one driver in each unit, where you can get 2 drivers in the box subs or a much higher performing driver.

Junie

Agent
Sorry for the miss qoute I ment "Box" subs when I mentioned cube subs. Thanks for the reply.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Shape of a sub doesn't matter. The cylinders have a smaller footprint, are lighter and they require less materials to build. The box subs, especially the ones with wood veneer, have a higher wife approval. For some reason, females choose form over function. But both have output and sound so similar that it would be difficult to tell the difference without measuring equipment.

-Robert

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I too have been thinking about getting a cylinder sub because I'm tired of looking at the box in each corner and want to get a lot more performance than my current JBL PB12 entry-level sub. The PC-Plus line seems to be of interest of me. The price is definitely in my ballpark.

Junie

Agent
Thanks for the response guys. Robert I called SVS and they stated the same thing you did in regards to the performance of the subs. Looking forward to shopping for my new sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What they didn't tell you is that if you are handy with tools and like to build things, that you can match SVS performance for less or better it for the same price. Tom and Ron got their start in the DIY section (now the Projects section) of this very forum. The short write up is here.

-Robert

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I would agree. Very easy to place since they're vertical and take up such a small footprint. Performance for the amount of real-estate used is very favorable.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

That is what's really got me seriously looking at one of these (well that and how EVERYONE seems to love them). The "black box in the corner" thing just ain't cutting it any more. Plus, I would imagine it would look a lot cooler and you sound cooler when people ask, "What is that big tube in the corner?" and you reply, "A subwoofer." :D

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

See, I find the big tube to be much more intrusive. I spec'd one for a video/audio classroom, but I would never put one in my home. To my eye, even if the box is big, it integrates better with the furniture of a living room (a theater room might be different).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
If space is at a premium then I would go with a cylinder sub as they have a smaller foot print. After a while you forget it is even there until someone asks you about it. Just tell them its your new water heater. :)

Give Ron, Tom or Erik a call at SVS and tell them what you are looking to do and what size room you have. They will be able to give you a recommendation that is based on your situation. They don't try to oversell you on anything and their post sales customer service is second to none.

Parker

mayhem13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
anthony
I too have the Cerwin Vega LW-15. I'm going to replace the driver and amp, seal off the ports. A quality 15" driver with a good amp in that box will be very impresive at about half the cost.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I would second Parker's comments above. SVS is great at helping you find the best sub for your situation and their service is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks