What's new

SVS speakers as good as SVS Subs? (1 Viewer)

Dan Burch

Agent
After much good advice, I went to purchase an SVS sub. I didn't know they also made speakers which was going to be my next component to research.
I'm looking 5, SCS-01s @ $875 plus 5 pair of $75 brackets and the Sub, about $2000 plus shipping. The MBS-01s look good but out of my budget.
How do the SVS speakers rate at this price compared to other speakers?
I have read nothing on them, but would almost purchase them on the reputation of their Subs. I'd like to hear some expert audiophile advice.
Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the speakers sound pretty good for the price. They are extremely well built for the price. I'm not sure it is worth getting SCS all the way around though. You might gain a bit fuller sound, as well as slightly higher max output and sensitivity, but you might go for the SCS only for the center and SBS everywhere else. They are easier to mount, don't require double brackets and can be angled more freely. The SCS is a big speaker to have mounted to the wall.

Which sub were you going to get? The money you save on the SCS may be better used on a better sub.

Dan Burch

Agent
John,
I thought I might gain alittle more. The SBS01s would fit better, I'd have to mount all 5 SCS horrizontally due to one hanging by a door. They have B-stock of SCS @ $129, $645 for all five. 4 SBS + 1 SCS $600 + only 3 pair brackets Save $200. Probably worth it? WhatdaU think?
I have a 11 X 12 room. Looking at PB12NSD ($599) wondering if it's too big. I don't really listen that loud. PD10NSD ($429) be big enough?
I want to make this a one time purchase, don't want to cheap out too much, but I don't want ot over buy either.
I love saving the $,
Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
When I reviewed the SBS set with SCS center, I found that the SCS in its usual center-channel orientation (i.e. horizontal) had excellent horizontal dispersion, but not-so-great vertical dispersion. That's perfectly fine for center channel use, but it indicates to me that the SCS might be problematic in a main-channel vertical orientation (unless SVS made some modifications). See the review in my signature for more info.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dan, I was thinking horizontal placement of the MTM design all around might be a bit problematic, as Wayne pointed out. Having dealt with both models personally, I also don't like the idea of wall mounting the SCS. I think it would look very clumsy in most applications.

I really see no reason to get CSC surrounds. In fact, due to their limited angling capability, I would even find them to be a negative. Having them across the front wouldn't be bad, but I would prefer being able to mount the L/R vertically. So, maybe if you can put them on stands or a shelf vertically, You might do that.

One thing I would do is upgrade the sub. If going 1 SCS and 4 SBS lets you do that, I think it is a good trade. I would lean more toward the 25-31 PCi or Plus.

Dan Burch

Agent
Wayne, awesome reviews... most of it was over my head, but I got the jest. Great speakers. I'll get the 4 SBS + 1 SCS. I have to hang them due to space constraints.
You threw me a curve ball with the suggestion of a cylinder. Earlier I read the SVS site that they are less expensive, for equal performance. Is that why you suggest cylinder or is there another reason. With the savings I could get the 25-31 PC-plus. The PB12 NSD/2 is $50 more. Would that be the closest box comparison? I'm buying tomorrow.
I appreciate everything!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should talk to SVS about the benefits between the NSD/2 and the 25-31 Plus. One major factor will be the significantly different footprint and weight.

And yes, cylinder subs typically give more bang for the buck, since they are cheaper to manufacture. They also have a much smaller footprint. The NSD/2 is a physically large animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks