What's new

SVS post in Audioreview (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hah, it's like that hot chick that you have no chance with, so you go around saying that she's overrated, and not all that...but still try and get her phone number to ask her for a date when no one's looking... :b

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Actually, I made mention of it back on June 5th. ;) I knew he was trouble from the start. Within the first month he had participated in 4 closed threads. What a waste.

- Dan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
NightRain stated...I am very happy with my Revel that doesn't make a kick drum sound like a constipated elephant passing wind. I will pay closer attention in the future when visiting the zoo or watching Animal Planet :D

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
You guys sure are wound up about a bad post!!!! maybe he doesn't have one or he does and really does hate it, but maybe some people don't have one and are giving it awsome praises because they want one and they figure it should be good so they write are positive review, I don't think we'd hear any complaining. But in any case, any joe blow who can work a keyboard can write anything he or she wants weather its good or bad. Its a good thing the svs minions are on the look out for bad publicity.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
One must realize that often when a sub is touted as being musical, its often another way of saying the sub is incapable of sufficiently high output at low frequencies without appreciable distortion. Of course if you listen to program material that doesn't have this high output or can't deliver it due to the technology it might be a moot point. OTOH, having a sub that can do this and allow a listener to hear things they never heard before some may erroneously interpret as boominess.

I don't own an SVS but to SVS' credit they seem to have taken a rather high road when it comes their product. One finds their products being reviewed by the likes of Tom Nousaine where FR, distortion, SPL are out there for all to see. Because the methodology used is standardized for all the subs he evaluates, one can draw a fairly accurate picture of how the product stacks up to others. SVS hasn't relied on the way too subjective reviews that one finds in positive feedback, enjoythemusic, and a host of others where biases and misinformation run rampant. They have no fear about taking their product to the dyno or dragstrip and letting the chips fall. Measurements and specifications may not tell everything, but what does it tell you when a manufacturer runs away from them?

You won't find SVS talking stupid stuff about fast bass and joining in with some vendors that look to confuse the consumer. They supply useful and practical information that cuts through the haze that so permeates the audio world.
Engineering wise, they build a good product and apply established principles backed up by careful measurements of performance. Try finding that in some of the 'high-end' products while wearing white gloves.
From what I have read their service is exemplary. It goes far beyond what I consider adequate. It goes far beyond what I consider more than adequate. When they have been under no obligation whatsoever to fix a person's unit who'd bought it used, they have done so. Response time is quick and if there's a problem, you won't find a dealer who's telling you, 'well, that's normal...don't worry about it', or having to go through some tortuous chain of command that 'might' fix your problem in 4 months. When you've got a question, you get a direct answer and feedback is notoriously quick.

For all the above reasons and more, SVS should be on a person's short list when considering subs. That seems sensible to me. Cross them off if the size doesn't cut it for you, if the finishes aren't what you want, if the price isn't right, but performance wise almost demands that it bear some consideration.

Tim O...

Stunt Coordinator
Very well said Chu Gai. All of those reasons are why I bought SVS. It doesn't hurt that the overwhelming majority of the reviews and posts about their products are positive, but above all of that, you can just tell they are a no-nonsense company and are all about the customer and performance.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Considering that co-founder and R&D chief Tom Vodhanel has logged over 10,000 hours in the last five years on design/build/test, the phrase "no nonsense" certainly applies.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Chu,

Thanks for that, coming from a non-owner its still appreciated by us.

One thing though; you mentioned "When they have been under no obligation whatsoever to fix a person's unit who'd bought it used, they have done so."

We actually have an official policy of warranty "roll-over" for second, or even third and fourth-hand buyers.

In other words as long as you can validate you HAVE an SVS (via the name of the seller and a serial number) you get the same treatment from SVS as you would if you had bought it direct. In-house we make no distinction when it comes to working a problem with a component. We have gone (I think) above and beyond when it's come to damage to units in private sales that came from shipping, but otherwise I don't see SVS service to used subwoofer buyers as anything extraodinary.

I will say that nearly all the time this is quite easy to administer. A private SVS seller asks us "is my warranty transferrable if I sell it?" (to which we say yes of course) and a few days later we get a "Hi I'm John Smithy, I got a PCi from Joe Blow, just wanted you to be aware in case I ever have a problem".

It's a simple system but it seems to allow for easy sales and good prices for those looking to upgrade... or those looking for an attractive price and solid support after the sale. Folks selling SVS's are typically upgrading to other SVS's after all, so it's good business to take care of folks no matter how many times a sub might have changed hands.

Ron

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Chu - I have the elephant passing gas on SACD... Bass is flat to 12 Hz, but it sounds like SH*T..."

Guys...stop it already...you're killing me!... :laugh:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Because the methodology used is standardized for all the subs he evaluates, one can draw a fairly accurate picture of how the product stacks up to others. SVS hasn't relied on the way too subjective reviews that one finds in positive feedback, enjoy the music, and a host of others where biases and misinformation run rampant. They have no fear about taking their product to the dyno or dragstrip and letting the chips fall. Measurements and specifications may not tell everything, but what does it tell you when a manufacturer runs away from them?

You won't find SVS talking stupid stuff about fast bass and joining in with some vendors that look to confuse the consumer. They supply useful and practical information that cuts through the haze that so permeates the audio world.

For all the above reasons and more, SVS should be on a person's short list when considering subs. That seems sensible to me. Cross them off if the size doesn't cut it for you, if the finishes aren't what you want, if the price isn't right, but performance wise almost demands that it bear some consideration."

I couldn't agree more. That's why among a myriad of commercial bass reproducing equipment manufacturers and zillions of subwoofer options I wound up choosing SVS subbass systems instead. Haven't regret it one bit...

Wise observations, very wise observations, my friend!

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
Tom and Ron - you may find it useful to contact John Meyer of Newform Research. His company once had a similar problem with one dedicated individual trashing them all over the forums, news groups, and pulling down the Audioreview rating under various names. I believe they filed a suit against this individual and eventually settled out of court for cash and a printed apology from said user in all the various forums he had badmouthed them. Not saying you should follow this route, but its best to know what your options are should this escalate further.

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
Tom and Ron - you may find it useful to contact John Meyer of Newform Research. His company once had a similar problem with one dedicated individual trashing them all over the forums, news groups, and pulling down the Audioreview rating under various names. I believe they filed a suit against this individual and eventually settled out of court for cash and a printed apology from said user in all the various forums he had badmouthed them. Not saying you should follow this route, but its best to know what your options are should this escalate further.

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
With regards to sites, such as AudioReview, or any other online review site; I think you have to have many posts to read to recognize trends in the reviews. If you have 50 reviews that give a product an average of say 4 stars out of 5 and you have one or two reviews that give the product 1 or 2 out of 5 than you have to examine why. Maybe the person has posted a bogus review, or the person had a bad experience. Observing trends rather than specific points in amateur online reviews is probably something to keep in mind. If you notice the same trend occurring for the same product in a couple of different review sites, than that trend would probably be true.

If the product is speakers or subs, than you can post the trend in forums such as this one and see what kind of answers you get to confirm your findings....Part of the fun of shopping for products such as electronics....just my 2 cents....

John

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
With regards to sites, such as AudioReview, or any other online review site; I think you have to have many posts to read to recognize trends in the reviews. If you have 50 reviews that give a product an average of say 4 stars out of 5 and you have one or two reviews that give the product 1 or 2 out of 5 than you have to examine why. Maybe the person has posted a bogus review, or the person had a bad experience. Observing trends rather than specific points in amateur online reviews is probably something to keep in mind. If you notice the same trend occurring for the same product in a couple of different review sites, than that trend would probably be true.

If the product is speakers or subs, than you can post the trend in forums such as this one and see what kind of answers you get to confirm your findings....Part of the fun of shopping for products such as electronics....just my 2 cents....

John

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Hi Frank"

Hi, back...my young friend! :)

Btw...just checked yout HT room; is amazingly good looking! Wish mine was as good looking...but have to put up with its utilitarian, proletarian facade for the time being.
Oh, and the B4+ subs...they look every bit as intimidating and imposing in your HT environs as they do in SVS' Website. You must love 'em a bunch... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic.."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks