What's new

SVS Planning Full Range Speakers (1 Viewer)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Anyone else read about this on their news page? Thoughts?

I am looking forward to this, but I hope it is not implemented in some strange way. For example, I don't really like the way the some full range speakers make you feed them speaker cables AND a seperate line level cable for the bass, plus having to have an outlet for the amp for the subwoofer. I would like to see the speaker have its own amp to power all the drivers (active crossovers) with a balanced XLR input, so you run one cable to each speaker and plug each speaker in.

Also, anyone imagined how a digital amp on the speakers might work out?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
My gut is telling me these will be passive units. Including onboard subs would be eating their own children.

I like the concept of an onboard digital amp to power the speaks, but there are so many existing systems with AVRs and/or external amplification that it would actually be perceived by most as an unneeded expense and hence a negative. Plus this would require a nearby outlet and this doesn't work well with centers, surrounds, and rear surrounds.

I think these will be conventional speaks albeit with SVS pedigree: Form follows function, high quality drivers, xo's, and cabinets, and with objective performance measurements always driving the design criteria.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'd be interested in these, as I will need to upgrade my system in the future. I'd love to be able to demo them.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I don't know, I remember when they put that survey out about a year ago asking questions about full range speakers. I think the only way they were going to go ahead and pursue the idea of making speakers was if they were true full range. This lends itself to more of the amp on board design.

I don't think including onboard subs would hurt their sub sales. If I had full range speakers, I would still want a dedicated sub to handle the LFE.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Depends on how you define "full range". To me, full range is -3 dB to 30 Hz, and that's not that difficult.

Just mains, or an entire 5.1 or 7.1 system? Prices? Direct radiators, bipolars, dipoles, switchables (for surrounds/rears)? If 5.1/7.1, Hopefully not the common (bad) woofer-tweeter-woofer center speaker design that gives you lobing as you go off-axis from the center. (Give me a 2 and a half way center design, or a woofer-(stacked tweeter over midrange)-woofer design! :) ) SVS subs are made here, would SVS speakers too? They are so good at subs, hopefully they wouldn't even think about doing speakers unless they could maintain that level of quality, price, and performance there too. :)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Again, only assumptions, but I would say full range for SVS means +-3db from 20khz to 20hz and they would probably only have one or two designs for this type of speaker. So that would mean having the same speaker in each 5.1 or 7.1 position, except maybe for the center. I see no reason for SVS to suddenly start manufacturing overseas, and I definitely see no reason for the quality and price performance SVS has established itself with as far as subs would not continue on into speakers.

Personally, I would like a full range tower speaker that I could use in all 5 or 7 positions. It would eliminate the need for amps and a lot of the problems associated with crossing over at 80hz. All you would need to do is run an XLR cable in the walls to each position and have an outlet nearby for each.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
What the heck, I'll jump in. This would be a good start:

Nice big center (30hz-20khz +/- 3db)
Smaller center that doubles as a bookshelf (50-20k
Full range towers (30-20k)
Bipole/Dipole (50-20k)

Made in USA
Black poly finish

Shall I bend low and, in a bondman’s key, With bated breath and whisp’ring humbleness, Say this ...kick ass”.

William Shakespeare and me ;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would also hope for at least two models at each spot. Main L & R, center, and surrounds/rears. Choice is always a good thing. Some people like bookshelf speakers, some like floorstanders, some want to spend more on a center (can carry up to 70% of a movie soundtrack), some less (people who listen to more 2 ch music than movies), etc.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Longtime member, occasional poster chiming in here.

"Still further into 2005 (assuming things all work out as we'd like)? Just what's probably THE most eagerly awaited thing since the SV Subwoofer: an SV Speaker. Specifically, a line of "full range" speakers which will perfectly mate to one of our subwoofers. As a package. Something you can array around your room and know it'll match your need for accurate, powerful and natural sound, without breaking the bank. Of course you know we'll avoid silly "solutions looking for problems" when it comes to features, but you know, too, that since these will be SVSs they'll trounce far more expensive speakers, look simple and elegant, and be offered in an array of finishes."

After reading the above and knowing how Tom feels about "full range" speakers I am sure that he is having some fun with how the information above is being phrased - that's why full range is in quotes, also he means that they will be full range when mated to one of the company's subs. Also, it isn't all that easy to take towers and "array them around your room" as is stated above. They will almost certainly be bookshelf monitors.

Over the years, there have MANY discussions about full range towers and powered sub towers and TV has always said that is NOT the way to do bass in his opinion. He is a FIRM believer in setting the speaker to small (even if it's a tower) and redirecting all bass to sub/s.

There was a guy named Bob a few years ago who used to own Def Tech powered towers and would always argue w/ Tom about this topic. Tom was always clear on how he feels.

Rich B.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
"They will almost certainly be bookshelf monitors."

If that is the case, I hope they're BIG bookshelfs. What I like about my SVS sub is that sound quality is job #1, cabinet size is job #2.

The speakers comprising my front soundstage (Polk RTi) have the same amount and type of driver, and receive the same power from the same amp, and are crossed at the same hz level (80). However, while playing music, the center sounds thin and "small" in comparison to the towers. The only difference is cabinet size.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Eric:

The different cabinet size would affect the sonics of your center speaker, but the largest contributor to its "different" sound is probably acoustic-related. The center speaker's horizontal layout, as well as its placement (on or near TV) usually has greatest affect on how it sounds.

Rich B.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,

Good point. I suppose the center should be placed vertically, on a stand, in front of the tv, for a fair comparison. I'll try it this weekend.

Eric.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I like Richard's take on the announcment and I hope he's right. I would definitly consider a set. I hope they plan on offering wood finishes right off the bat. Speakers aren't usually hidden in a corner like subs are...

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
All,

We sure appreciate your comments. SVS has a major "Come-to-(insert deity of choice here)-meeting" in January to hash out much what's already accomplished in this task, and the far longer list of things not yet completed.

I promise all your input will help us make final choices and move ahead. There are some firm ideas already in place, and reams of planning and research results underway as I write this. The world's best instrumentation has warmed up and we're adding more, so we can do more, in the weeks and months ahead.

In some ways, designing full range speakers (a broad term refereing to a range of sizes of course), makes producing world-class subwoofers look like walk in the park. We will not chose to do this because it's easy, rather, because it IS hard. We know other OEMs work hard, we are working harder, and smarter. There's no choice if it's going to be an SVS. It will be better than what was/is or we won't sell it. Old stuff if you have followed us long.

And if you read our News Page update, it's not like we're taking a rest in the subwoofer world either. The competition only THINKS they have it hard now, trying to keep up.

One note given some hand-wringing we've seen of late: We're not expanding our product lines to gain sympathy, we're not suffering (working 100hrs/week doesn't count... we love it, really) and we're not poor... though this is the wrong business to get rich in. We're expanding because we can, and believe deeply that to prosper in the future we have to provide more and better products for customers. Continuously. Simple to say of course. We have still better products coming precisely as a way of giving more back to the people that made us the hottest audio brand on the Web. There's no charity here, making the best possible stuff for customers is a business decision.

And we're not happy with "just a bit better". We strive to make things better by every objective, design and material aspect known, at every given price point. We're building our stuff in the USA... hell, we're exporting to China (our most recent Ohio factory employee was working for minimum wage at Wal-Mart when we recruited him) and it's impossible not to have a sense of pride in that. We can't be sure we'll always build everything here, but you can bet that's always our first inclination, even if it means we make less money (actually it always means this). We know this is a bit old-fashioned, and many don't care about it at all, but it fits this recap of where were going.

2005 promises to be an exciting year at SVS. Again, thanks for the input. We didn't start this thread of course, but you can be sure we're all reading it ;^) To the maelstrom of activity churning at our two Ohio facilities and offices elsewhere you can be sure what's said here and elsewhere will be dropped in, gestated, and sure to come out in ways that will seem familiar, yet we hope, surprise some too.

All the best this holiday season from everyone at SVS.

Ron Stimpson

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say is do lots of research on crossover designs and networks and really do your homework on this part of the design. One cool concept which tends to keep most of the phase issues in check is what is refered to as an eliptical crossover which is basically what M&K has in their speakers. Good luck and I hope to someday demo some of your full range speakers, if they are anything like your subs I am sure they will be incredible.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I am the only person bummed out by this news. I did not think was going to happen and went out and purchased a Polk Lsi setup. Not that there is anything wrong with these, they are very nice speakers at their price point. I just believe SVS will raise the bar which will tempt me to buy these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks