What's new

SVS PC13-Ultra DSP (1 Viewer)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Anybody own one? I'm looking at getting a sub for my Yamaha RX-Z11 receiver. This may be overkill though. I have in-ceiling speakers which I plan on replacing with some Paradigm in-ceiling ones. Any general thoughts on SVS's cylinder subs?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't have a cylinder sub, but I do have an SVS PB12 Ultra/2 (the PC13 is the direct replacement). I LOVE IT!!!

I would never call it overkill. Headroom is the word I like.

Any reason you need ceiling speakers?

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
The room was designed as a media room and came with 5 in-ceiling speakers which run back to my comm room where I have my receiver, blu-ray player, etc. I use an IR repeater to control everything. The ceiling speakers aren't very good so I need to change them. At the rear of the room is my subwoofer RCA jack which also runs back to the comm room. I actually wanted a box subwoofer but it's just too big for my room, hence the cylinder.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope you know our opinion of ceiling speakers in general. Even the great ones aren't that good compared to "real" speakers. But it is all about your goals. But by going with one of the best subs on the market, you are really jumping head and shoulders above the quality of your speakers now.

You want to save space? Have you ever considered an infinite baffle sub?

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Sure, I do. I already own Paradigm Studio 40s with a CC570 center channel however they won't work in this case. I am looking at Paradigm's AMS series which hopefully will sound great in this application.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does the media room share a wall with the control room? Maybe you could install an IB sub like this guy - http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/IB/IB-gallery.htm . That is a little over the top but it is a great example of the manifold installation. The media room would have a pair of grills on one wall. The control room would have the manifold and the subs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Mark Romero

Anybody own one? I'm looking at getting a sub for my Yamaha RX-Z11 receiver. This may be overkill though. I have in-ceiling speakers which I plan on replacing with some Paradigm in-ceiling ones. Any general thoughts on SVS's cylinder subs?

I have the sub one step down, PC-12, and it's great. I considered the -13 Ultra, but price and size kept me away. For my needs, the -12 is more than sufficient.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by DaveF

I have the sub one step down, PC-12, and it's great. I considered the -13 Ultra, but price and size kept me away. For my needs, the -12 is more than sufficient.

[/QUOTE]
+1

I have the PC-12 also, for the same reasons. It's more than enough sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have used and still use drivers designed by the engineer that is now at SVS. If I wasn't a DIY guy, I'd go with SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks