What's new

SVS PB2-Ultra Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You're most welcome, David. I'd be glad to review the new SVS 10" model. And Geoff makes an excellent point; I can give you objective data, and my listening impressions, but the ultimate judge are your ears.

If you are still on the fence after reading the reviews, user comments, and talking to supporters of both products, it never hurts to buy both and return one; that's why Hsu offers a 30 day trial, and SVS makes it 45 days. You really need to live with a sub for a while to make sure it's the right one for you. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Some benchmarking struck me while reading the latest WSR:

Thiel has a new 2x12" sub, the SS3. *Manufacturer* numbers are 109 dB at 20 Hz and 116 dB at 30 Hz (no distortion numbers). $6900.

They reviewed a set of Verity speakers. Includes the Rocco sub. 2x12". No measurements data except for the manufacturer's Max Linear Ouput: 120 dB SPL @ 1" THD (no freq given). $9995.

;)

Alex Striganov

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
One of the best reviews I even read ... thanks, Ed!
And thanks to Ron and SVS for creating of such subwoofer ... in Hollywwod I felt the air on my hairs from the helicopter's propeller ...
Ed, I would recomment to try the free RMAA software, they have version 5.4 now.
The system doesn't allow me to post the link, just use RMAA as a keyword in google.
"In acoustics testing mode, we have added: separate measurement of 2-nd and 3-rd harmonics; normalization of distortion level to the input signal level; a new THD-vs-frequency test using a set of fading-in harmonics with different frequencies."

We are waiting for a new review of PB10-ISD :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the compliment, Alex. I manually calculate distortion because some of the less expensive software modules on the market are prone to error in this regard. Manual calculation is essentially error proof (provided the data is valid), if you have a thorough understanding of how to manipulate log10 values and how THD is calculated. I also apply a Blackman-Harris weighting window to each distortion harmonic. Typically I'll count all distortion harmonics that rise above the noise floor (which hovers around 35-40 dB in my rig), out to the 10th order.

I'll take a look at that RMAA, though - thanks for the tip. :)

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to revive this thread so late after the fact but I have a question.

When measuring with limited THD, @ 30Hz the highest output we get is:

30 Hz: 110.4 dB (3.9% THD amp limited)

So how was:

119 dB @ 30Hz achieved in the previous test? Both tests using a 25 Hz tune and ground plane measured at 2m

If THD was the limiting factor I could understand, but it only hits 3.9% THD and is amp limited at just 110.4 dB.

I'm sure it's something obvious but I just can't see what I'm missing.

Thanks Ed.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The frequency response was measured with TrueRTA "QuickSweep". This digitally generated log sine sweep only takes about 500-750 ms. Accordingly, it is easy to "beat the limiter" when using QS since the amp and sub spend so little time at each frequency. This contrasted against continuous sine waves, where the amp limiter will kick in and start motorboating within about 1 second if the input gain is too high at the test frequency.

So it is easy to generate some very high SPL figures with QS. Ilkka noticed the same thing while testing some of his subwoofers with QS.

While QS might be considered a gauge of dynamic output capability, I think the 45 second slow reverse sine sweep I now use is a better indicator of overall uncompressed output capability of a subwoofer.

One of these days I'll retest the PB12-Ultra/2 with this new method. For now I would suggest using Illka's or AVTalk's compression test data on the PC-Ultra or the PB12-Ultra (both native 20 Hz tunes) and add about 3-4 dB to those maximum sweep levels for the PB12-Ultra/2 in the 20 Hz tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks