What's new

SVS PB2-Ultra Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, MikeKaz! At this price level enthusiasts definitely want to see what they're getting for their hard-earned greenbacks. Sure, it IS an awesome sub, but I figured let's find out why. :emoji_thumbsup:

Frank - JBL Pro Sound has been filling theaters and stadium venues for decades; it's proven stuff. I agree, with some EQ to tame the edge on the horns and get a flat mid-bass response, and the SVS' handling the bottom end, it could be one kick-ass system.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Frank, you may rest assured the "when my wife thinks I have lost it" comment was a compliment....:emoji_thumbsup:

Ed... You make a great point (what makes these subwoofers tick)... I am also taking some time in my travels to listen to some other subwoofers... thus far, the list includes Legacy, Aerial, and Theil.

No Revel dealers around... and it is dismaying that none of these dealers has any of the subs even calibrated properly.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank, you may rest assured the 'when my wife thinks I have lost it' comment was a compliment...."

No problems here, mate, really... :) ...I know that's exactly what you meant all along!... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"The huge $10,000 Genelec is a good example of why NOT to test at 1 meter."

...or my eight 16-46 subs for that matter!... :D

-THTS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"... where objectively it was among the top subwoofers tested. It delivered roughly 115 dB outside... at 20 Hz/one meter... Impressive performance, to say the least."

Indeed! The sort of performance that in my humble estimation is way, way above certain other tested infrabass reproducing wannabes, me thinks... :emoji_thumbsup:

Now, if only Yates were able to test the mega-bucks ($20+K, I believe) Wilson 18" driver-based subs... :wink:

-THTS

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Yes, and the PB2-Ultra pulled nearly 110 dB @ 20 Hz @ 1 meter in my testing, placing it squarely in the hunt. Considering Yates uses a different test method (ramped impulse), it might do even better under his test conditions.

Considering everyone uses different test rigs and methods, obtaining somewhat different results is the rule, not the exception. While SVS doesn't disclose the results of their GP measurements, I'm sure Tom V's 2 meter GP FR/THD results for the PB2-Ultra are somewhat different that mine.

And make no mistake; the B4+ IS the undisputed output champ of the SVS line-up. At most freqencies, it would take two PB2-Ultra's to equal the clean output of the B4+. It wouldn't surprise me if the B4+ pulled 116 dB @ 20 Hz @ 1 meter @ 10% THD (that would be 110 dB at the standard 2 meters) if Yates ever tested it.

Ed

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"And make no mistake; the B4+ IS the undisputed output champ of the SVS line-up. At most freqencies, it would take two PB2-Ultra's to equal the clean output of the B4+. It wouldn't surprise me if the B4+ pulled 116 dB @ 20 Hz @ 1 meter @ 10% THD (that would be 110 dB at the standard 2 meters) if Yates ever tested it."

That would be awfully interesting to see in a national A/V magazine...although I think am already able to tell what it is...what will be when Craig posts his review of the B4+ as well... :)

-THTS

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Frank... How big is your room ? I am trying to picture 16 x 12 inch high output drivers... yikes !

You are going to be really happy with the B4+ ... and what the guys have been talking about regarding the finish on the PB2-Ultra also goes with the B4+ ... just fantastic !

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank... How big is your room?"

Craig,

The HT room is 30 feet long...by 8 feet high...by 16 feet wide (1/3 of the way down the room's length)...narrowing to 13 feet (2/3 to the rear wall).

I know this sounds like weird dimensions, but if you can visualize the 16 foot width being were the subs are located (in a corner, sort of bunched up against the wall, about three feet behind the 12 foot wide scope screen--am also able to project Super-8mm, 35mm, and 70mm film), with a set of French doors located immediately to the left of the screen location (from the viewer's perspective) which are contiguous to a 3 foot wide angled wall (approximately 10 degrees) that's also equipped with an entry door that leads to the storage and rear of electronic components area, straightening the rest of the way to an exit door.
The rear wall not only has the back yard exit door, but also contains a 3 foot wide glass viewing port (high enough so that people' heads doesn't interfere with projection of film sources while in a sited position), which proceeds from a projection booth adjacent to, as well as its attendant entry door.

The room was originally added as a "family room" or den some years after we bought the house.
The den was equipped with a 3 foot deep by 8 foot wide laundry room that have a set of double folding doors (still located along of what's now the narrower wall). There was also a very large opening between it and the kitchen (it made it easier for my ex-wife to feed the kids breakfast or lunch; they usually sat in tall stools in a counter bar that was located on the den side. It too has since long disappeared), while yet another large opening was located right next to that one (it used to be the location for a set of glass sliding doors).

The room was eventually turned into a "HT" venue, and many drastic changes have occurred.
Spite of being large, this room seems less so in its current configuration (which just might change in the future).
But more important is the fact that the room does have its set of nodal modes (a rather obnoxious suck out mid way the room, for one), modes which indeed affect reproduced sound.
Bass reproduction hasn't fared any better, of course, that's why am still looking for ways to cope with the challenge presented by these sonic anomalies.
I hope that with the use of bass traps and EQ'ing things can improve...something which am looking forward to do with a good degree of eager enthusiasm.

Sorry for being so long winded. :b
Anyway...I'll greatly appreciate your input regarding anything related to the above discussed issues and bass repro in particular...

-THTS

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Frank - Your room does not sound like a disaster... In fact, part of the project I am working on (with several people) is room effect and how to work with software to minimize it. More to come...

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Frank,

When you get the B4+s, please take some photos of your room! If you don't have a digital camera, send them to me (I'll PM my address to you) and I will scan and host them at www.robbroy.net. That setup is something I've gotta' see!

Oh, and it's not china in those cases, it's dolls (also known as the price I pay for getting one wall for the HT)!

-Robb

terence

Supporting Actor

We, Robb We have to see! Frank i have seen a lot of and heard a lot of different type set-ups, but yours takes the "I Have The Most Subs In One Room" award.

It's must see HT pictures.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Good thinking guys... not only is this set up fun to talk about... seeing ALL this gear in the same room would be a VERY cool thing...:emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
My wife has finally crossed over to the dark side... last night she mentioned "It is too bad your subwoofer people don't make a smaller sub that could be used as a matching endtable to this one"... So I innocently asked her if something... maybe 28 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 26 inches tall... might work ?

She asked... can they do the same finish ?

And Which SVS subwoofer might fo the job....???

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
My wife has finally crossed over to the dark side... last night she mentioned "It is too bad your subwoofer people don't make a smaller sub that could be used as a matching endtable to this one"... So I innocently asked her if something... maybe 28 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 26 inches tall... might work ?

She asked... can they do the same finish ?

And Which SVS subwoofer might fo the job....???

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Craig,

The force is strong with you, indeed!

That was really geeky, but I couldn't help myself...

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Craig,

The force is strong with you, indeed!

That was really geeky, but I couldn't help myself...

-Robb

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
That was not geeky... no Star Wars reference is...:emoji_thumbsup: It could also make for an interesting intra-company face off... especially if Dr. Hsu does not get his new flagship done soon...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
That was not geeky... no Star Wars reference is...:emoji_thumbsup: It could also make for an interesting intra-company face off... especially if Dr. Hsu does not get his new flagship done soon...

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Way off topic, but speaking of geeky: I just changed my notifications from this forum to go to my gmail account, and gmail automatically associated the notifications from this thread into a single "conversation". Pretty cool stuff.

Sorry about the side note. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks