What's new

SVS PB2 Ultra a beautiful addition to any room (1 Viewer)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Really can't take a few minutes for a photo for all your buddies here that helped you though the rough waiting times and reassured you it would be alright and you were doing the definante right thing here. Come on and give back one litle photo..................

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
(sigh.....)

OK, here's a low res 640x480 shot of the PB2-Ultra. Nice match to the distressed pine floor, eh? :emoji_thumbsup:

I'll get a few high res pics over to KevinYee later. And no, showing the hint of a grey-stone PB1-ISD in the corner was not an oversight on my part. ;)

Ed

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
A few questions for you guys:

1. Why do the PB1+ and PB2 Ultra weigh so much more than their equivalents with lesser drivers? The PB1+ weighs nearly as much as a PB2 and PB2+! Is it made entirely out of solid wood rather than MDF?

2. What does the bass plate do exactly? Does it limit the effect of placing the sub on a less than solid floor (floating floor, up stairs etc)? I've always favoured front firing subs in the past as I don't perceive them to have this potential problem.

3. Whenever I've seen Tom post (I'm sure I've missed a few) about the differences between the standard, plus and ultra drivers he seems to indicate that they all sound the same and simply have more headroom, yet people like Ed talk about sonic signatures and seem to think that the better drivers add more than headroom. No offense to you Ed but I'm inclined to believe Tom. :)

Thanks

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Ed

That is the ugliest thing I ever seen. Sent me a PM and I will be right over to dispose of IT. You should be ashamed of yourself. Sir you have bad taste and I am willing to free you of it. Nobody should have to look at that in your house, they need to look at it in mine. Ed my truck is warming up waiting for your address.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...5&o=31&fpart=1

You might also want to email Paul Carleton over at SPOT and ask his opinion; he has owned original Ultras (with the gen 1 driver), dual CS-Ultra (with the current generation TV-12), and also currently owns dual SS. While the difference between the gen 1 Ultra driver and the TV-12 supposedly only amounted to 1.5 dB, Paul was rather pleasantly surprised at the SQ differences between the two drivers, even at lower volumes. He had an extensive thread about the gen 1 driver upgrade to his Ultra's, but it is long archived.

Regards,

Ed

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Roger that, Scott. C'mon right over with your pick-up truck.

Like Heston's musket..."you can pry it from my cold dead hands"...

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
Ed, thanks a lot for the detailed response.

With regard to the driver differences, do they become apparent at lower volume levels? Although I like to have headroom and playing at reference level is cool to demo to friends, most of the time I wouldn't exceed about 90 dB (i.e. 15 dB below reference). My system is used about 70% for 2 channel music so it is most important that the sub performs well in 2.1 with music.

I've been pondering on an SVS for a while now and can't make up my mind. I was all set to go for a PC+ 20-39 but now I'm considering the PB2, PB2+ and PC Ultra! I find the PBs a bit on the large side but in terms of output per $ they seem to be a better deal. The other thing is I am upgrading my speakers and moving house so I don't even know what it is going to be paired with or the environment!

To keep me going I bought a one-off custom sub (see DIY forum) to replace my Velodyne CHT-10. I'm trying to arrange a visit to a UK SVS owner's house to see what the fuss is about.

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Great looking subs J. Redcay and Ed.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

One thing I aesthetically like about the down firing subs versus front firing is not seeing the speaker or it's grill.

Look how nice both J. Redcay and Ed's sub's look in their rooms. Now imagine either a black mesh grill or exposed driver covering the front rather than the beautiful wood finish that you paid extra for. To me, a mesh grill diminishes the look of the sub if the goal is to have the sub look more like furniture and less like a speaker.

ScottCarr

Second Unit

I believe that is my quote, And as I indicated the sound is a little different in many ways. I have been thinking about how better to describe it. Having Klipsh Reference speakers I starter off with the RF3s. Great sounding speaker and fit in my room perfectly. Then when Tweeter closeout the Klipsch line I picked up the RF7s. Bigger cabinet and components. The RF7 creates a larger more prominent sound stage left to right and outward.

Now with SVS here is a company that has quality up and down its line. As you move up the line one can only expect the delivery of sound to increase as well. So there is the TV12 driver that weighs in at nearly twice the db12. The result is a slighly different sound, bolder if you will.

SVS is the type of company to fit the right product to the customers needs. They need not oversell you. They are honest and helpful.

My honest opinion is the PB2+ was more woof than I needed. It never let me down and always impressed me. The Ultra goes one step further. I have been through 7 SVS subs in under 2 years. Never ever have I been disappointed. Having experienced the Ultra the name is very fitting.

If you can buy the subs with the TV12, do it. But do not think for a second that just because you didn't get the Ultra you are getting short changed. SVS told me the + line is the best bang for the buck. No doubt. The Ultra is great but the buyer needs to be willing to pay the premium.

Ed still waiting on your address to come pick up that ugliness.....

J. Redcay

Agent
Zack,

You have touched upon a very valid point. Without the mesh grill the PB2 Ultra's look is that of a furniture piece as opposed to an audio piece. To stretch a point you could put a false knob on the front of the Ultra and it would look like a door opening to a cabinet inside. In my house I also have a custom made subwoofer (there are pics I can direct you to) that is not that much smaller than the PB2 Ultra yet that sub does indeed look like a loudspeaker. There is no right or wrong look here, simply one of preference. And in my case the furniture look is more desirable than the audio look. I have more than enough "audio" look in my room!! Oh yeah, although
I can't give you facts and figures the PB2 Ultra has a wonderful authortative voice that is indeed its own signature, at least among the subs that I have owned.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I agree 100%. My glowing review of the PB2+ was not an exaggeration; hundreds of owners since have confirmed that, and nothing can touch it in the $1,200 class.

At double the price of the PB2+, the PB2-Ultra represents a case of diminishing returns; it is much further up the "cost is no object" end of the spectrum, and is the very best SVS offers in terms of technology, craftsmanship, and sound quality - but you'll pay a premium, as Scott said.

Well, I have an 11.2 MB studio grade photo of the PB2+ in TIF format that I will try to email to KevinYee. I also have FTP capability and if the email fails, we can try that later.

Regards,

Ed

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Ed,

Have you thought about picking up some oak stock and trying to stain the front 2 legs to match the sub? IMO tht would make the PB2Ultra perfect.

Scott

PS Contrats to all those that have opt for the PB2U. beautiful subs. I hope they come out with a PB1U.

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to side track the thread too much but as you guys have been so helpful can you recommend which sub I should go for?

I would guess the room it will be used in will be 2500 to 3500 cubic feet. Fronts will probably be something like B&W 703 or JM Lab Electra 926. I would like something that will be flat to 20Hz so I'm guessing the PC+ / Ultra 20-39 or the PB2 / + with one port plugged. I'm afraid my budget won't be able to strech to the PB2 Ultra. Of the 4 subs there are two at similar price levels PB2/PC+ and PB2+/PC Ultra. I just don't know if I need the raw power of the PBs or the extra refinement of the PC range (I don't mean that the cylinder subs are more refined, just that at both price points the PC sub has the better driver, just 1 instead of 2).

Also, should I go for the Art EQ that SVS have on their site? The intension was to pick up a BFD.

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
These look great! I've just got WAF for an upgrade,
much easier to talk her into the Ultra than the PB2+ that
I presently own.

Ed, what color did you choose? I'm thinking about the
american antique or the natural blonde....

so much for my plasma upgrade:D
Keith

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't pick up either until you plotted the actual in-room FR and then made the best use of the existing tuning controls like the continuously variable 0-180 phase, the single band PEQ, and low pass filter (I have added this control to my "tuning tool box" even if though I am doing BM at the pre-pro).

Regards,

Ed

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
Ed, the problem is I haven't moved yet and I don't know where I'm going, hence just a guess at room size and no further details. I will do my best to get the sub in a corner.

Listening is about 70% stereo music, 10% multichannel music, 20% movie. I listen to and watch all sorts of music and films. I don't tend to run the sub hot at all for music, maybe 1-2dB for movies. Max volume I ever use is -10RL.

The PB2+ is looking very tempting, but then there are extra features with the PC Ultra and of course the better driver. I don't want to replace this sub for a long time, say 5 years, so I'm afraid to get the PC Ultra in case I do move to a bigger place and run out of oomph. I can't see the room being bigger than 3500cf though within that time.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Robb: Ooh Ooh! I see VRM-90's or 80's. God I love those speakers. They look sexy with the ultra. I bet that is an awsome setup. :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I can't see a PC-Ultra running out of oomph in a 3500 ft3 room at -10RL or lower. Please verify this with SVS. Feel free to start a separate thread so we can avoid a further hi-jack of this one (guilty as charged, but repentant). :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks