What's new

SVS PB2-Plus Test and Review - Long (1 Viewer)

Chip E

Screenwriter
Ed,

Do you have to recalibrate every time you plug/unplug a port for a certain movie? Hopeing you say no, not necessary.. I like to run my 20-39PC fairly hot. I'd imagine the PB2+ would be a different animal, all on it's own. Who knows where i'll like it.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Do you have to recalibrate every time you plug/unplug a port for a certain movie?
Chip:

You do lose a bit of output when you plug a port. If you want to keep the level of impact consistent while digging deeper into the subsonic range, I advise upping the sub level 1.5 to 2.0 dB after you plug a port.

On my AVR, upping the sub level is a piece of cake. I just toggle through the various speaker levels until I reach the sub and I bump it up two clicks. It takes about 5 seconds.

Or you can simply plug a port and leave it that way. I believe Tom V runs his PB2+ with a port plugged all the time. Whether you like the sound quality with a port plugged or all ports open is largely a matter of personal preference. The two states of tune sound far more alike than different. I'm sure you'll arrive at a state of tune you like the best.

Regards,

Ed

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Edward:

So my cereal box digi camera photos of the dogs just didn't cut it for ya? Here's a few more low res pics of the sub.
So, when you crank up Will Smiths' song from Men In Black 2, do they actually nod their heads? :D

I acutally have a new digicam, so the pictures will be a bit better (at least noise-quality-wise) :)

As for animals... Well, I'll try to stick a gerbil up a port hole and roll the THX Cavalcade trailer... Now *that* will look awesome... :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Ed, what kind of speakers you have?
Arthur:

Polk Audio - check the review for details.

Rudi:

I think we are all on a journey to better sound. The more high end equipment we can hear and experience, the more discriminating our tastes become. While we all wish for unlimited funds, it ain't gonna happen so we get smarter in our purchases.

We all started somewhere, usually with that so-so $250-$300 name brand subwoofer from a big retail chain. I think it is human nature to defend what we purchase as being worth the money and a good performer. No one wants to look like an idiot and publicly admit they spent their hard earned cash on a lemon. Audioreview takes the cake in this respect - it seems there is nary a bad review in the bunch.

Regardless, when it came time to upgrade, I scoured the forums for what was impressing everyone the most, and then embarked on several trips to the smaller privately owned hi-fi shops in the area and extensively demoed most of the better known upscale subwoofer lines. I learned much, and needless to say, it was a real eye opener. It eventually led me to my first SVS purchase - the 20-39PC+.

That gerbil comment.......I won't even go there. :b

In any event, looking forward to your decidedly subjective review. :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
Dummy/rookie question... I know I MUST keep the sub away at least 2 feet from my 40 inch Sony tube due to interferance issues, but will pb2-plus interfere with rockets 750s? I see many people put subwoofers next to their speakers, and I believe both have magnets in them..
thanks

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,

In any event, looking forward to your decidedly subjective review.
I'm thinking about it more right now... I now somehow feel obliged to post my opinions about the new toy here just because I found about it right here!

And I've been playing with a crazy thought for a while now... I'd love to just grab the SVS and grab it to that before-mentioned hi-fi shop and show them how a ~$1000 subwoofer should look like! Or just to check if a PB2+ can play alongside Avantgarde Trios (horn speakers; 109dB/W/m; they are currently using 6 subwoofers (!!!))... :)

Ok, I'll stop babbling now. I'll be hopefully back in a month with some opinions about PB2+! :)

(And don't worry about the gerbil... He would be bite my hand off if I would do something like that... Or scream "Let's do *THAT* again" :))

Rudi

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think it is human nature to defend what we purchase as being worth the money and a good performer. No one wants to look like an idiot and publicly admit they spent their hard earned cash on a lemon. Audioreview takes the cake in this respect - it seems there is nary a bad review in the bunch.
While AR is the worst, this practice is prevalent here, also. I, however, revel in looking like an idiot, as is evidenced by my frequent (and successful) attempts at such.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dummy/rookie question... I know I MUST keep the sub away at least 2 feet from my 40 inch Sony tube due to interferance issues, but will pb2-plus interfere with rockets 750s? I see many people put subwoofers next to their speakers, and I believe both have magnets in them..
thanks
Those are completely different issues. With a TV, the magnetic field from a speaker will redirect the path of the beam in the tube, not the same problem with speakers. I suppose if you somehow got the drivers in your speakers an inch away from the driver in the sub, it might cause a problem, but in the real world, not a problem.

Also, I have always aimed a 3 ft. minimum between unshielded speakers and a TV, particularly when you are talking a high capacity driver like in the PB2+.

Chip E

Screenwriter

Ed,

Piece of cake on my Ref 50 as well, via the MX-700 remote... couple button toggles to the sub level. Gotcha.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Chip,

Thanks for the idea! I think I'll try to set up a couple of macros for adjusting speaker and sub setting for music and movies. I love my MX-700!

Alex

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
John(Rice) - thanks, I wish I could quote (but I cant seem to figure it out with this board).. U mean 3 feet away from TV for speakers or SUB? Rite now I think to have Rockets about 2-3 feet away from TV and svs pb2-plus next to left rs750 speaker with sub being in the corner...

John Said:
Also, I have always aimed a 3 ft. minimum between unshielded speakers and a TV, particularly when you are talking a high capacity driver like in the PB2+.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Arthur, I'm not familiar with your speakers. I really don't keep up with hardware. For all I know, your speakers could be shielded and safe at any distance. The SVS subs are not shielded, and I expect a 3 ft. minimum is a good guideline. Maybe Ron or Tom V will jump in. If an unshielded speaker gets too close, it usually causes an oval or round area of greenish blue color at the edge of the picture nearest the speaker.

FWIW, non of my speakers are shielded. My center is right on top of the RPTV, which places it about 3.5 ft. from the guns. My mains (Thiel CS 3.6s) are about 4.5-5 ft. from the guns and the sub is at least 5 ft.

To quote, start with "quote" surrounded by [] and end with "/quote" surrounded by []. Don't use the quotation marks though.

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
My speakers gonna be Rockets... pretty sure the 750s are not shielded..
I guess I will have rockets closer to TV (not to close and Sub in the corner.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think you may have sold another PB2 for SVS. I have a Large HT Room, 25'x27'10' (Peak) giving me >6000Cubic Ft. and two open areas (Stairs, and kitchen) To fill this I had gotten a 20-39 PC+ with the intention of getting another later. Well, I ended having to get rid of the 20-39 a few months ago, and I'm missing it greatly. I was on SVS's site looking at a replacement when I saw the PB2 After reading this review, and some others, I think it will fit the bill nicely. And eventually, I think I'll get two of these monsters instead :)

Murdock

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I ended having to get rid of the 20-39 a few months ago, and I'm missing it greatly.
Well, this was your first mistake. ;) May I ask why you got rid of the PC+?

6000 ft3 is a HUGE room. I agree, dual Plus cylinders or a PB2-Plus would fill the bill nicely. Dual PB2-Plus would give you near Dolby reference level playback capability.

Regards,

Ed

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
what is the dolby reference playback level? Is it like 85 decibel at a certain volume level?
Arthur:

Dolby reference level is defined as 105 dB bass peaks from any surround channel, and 115 dB bass peaks from the LFE channel. If the surround speakers are set to "small", the subwoofer is required to handle both low passed surround channel bass and the LFE channel. In the event of a simultaneous bass peak in both a surround channel and the LFE channel, the subwoofer would be required to deliver a 121 dB bass peak.

When you calibrate your system with a DVD like Avia, or VE, or S&V, it requires you to set the Master Volume and speaker levels so that you are getting 75 dB or 85 dB (depending on the disc) on the test tones.

These test tones are mastered at 30 dB or 20 dB BELOW (depending on the disc) the typical mastering level on a movie DVD. So at the same Master Volume level at which you calibrated your system with a calibration DVD, you can expect a MUCH higher playback volume with a movie DVD - on the order of 120+ dB bass peaks if your speaks are set to small and your sub is running on the hot side.

This is too loud for most everyone, so we all end up playing around -10 to -15 for normally loud DVD movie playback.

The reason we all calibrate to the same standard is so we can compare notes and know how loud our systems will be at the same Master Volume level.

For a report like mine, indicating the calibration method, how hot the sub is running, and the Master Volume level for playback generates the kind of solid data enthusiasts can hang their hat on.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks