What's new

SVS PB1-ISD Positioning Question.... (1 Viewer)

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I took the plunge and bought an SVS off of several recommendations from this forum. I'm very excited and am now trying to determine the best place for it. I already have a place in mind that I would LIKE to put it, but am not sure if it will sound good there. My HT room is a small 12x13 (perfect rectangle) with one opening on the right 13-foot wall of about 8 feet. I was hoping to place the SVS on the left side of my couch against the solid 13-foot wall (no openings). This placement will hide the sub. I have my couch along one 12-foot wall and the TV on the opposite. I currently have a crappy old subwoofer from a older HTIB system and was playing with positioning this weekend. I just got in my Canare cables for the sub and placed the sub in several locations. The place it seemed to sound the best (which was still horrible) was at the front next to one of the L or R Main speakers. Because my current receiver doesn't do 5.1, I could never effectiviely remove the bass from the other speakers so I could never really distinguish if I was hearing the sub or the others. Also, when I did hear the sub working, it was VERY easy to tell which direction the bass was coming from. Will the SVS stop this? I thought bass was supposed to be non-directional. I expect my HK AVR230 in tomorrow and the SVS on Friday so I am going to just wait to decide where I should drill holes for the cabling. However, I am asking you all to see if there is a "general rule of thumb" where these subs, or subs in general usually perform best in a room like mine. Thanks! Below is my setup (DLP soon to be!!) if it helps...

Samsung 46" DLP
Samsung SIR-TS160 HD Receiver
Harman Kardon AVR-230
Pioneer DV563A DVD Player
Xbox (Woohoo!)
JBL S-Center II
JBL S-38II's (Fronts)
JBL S36II's (Surrounds)
SVS PB1-ISD
Cables are a combo of Canare, Dayton & Monster

WayneO

Supporting Actor
In a corner is the most desriable spot to try first, my PB2+ works great in between my RPTV and RF speaker, but your gonna have to experiment. I wouldn't think of doing any hole drilling for cables until it's in your home and you've tested to see where it'll be permanantly. Bass under 120hz or so is supposed to be non-directional, it could be that the Xover on the reciever is set higher and sending these signals to your current "sub" and that's why you can localize it. Just wait to get your new equipment, then the setup begins..........have fun.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,

the quickest way to find the best position in any room is the seating-placement trick.

Get long enough cables to place the Sub at your standard listening position (e.g. on the couch). Then give some good bassy Music on to it.
Now, walk trough the room and check all possible places for the best bass sound. Finally install the Sub at that place, where you feel comfortable with the bass.

Done. Foolproof. I did it too :D

Regards,
Axel

TimLP

Auditioning
I recently received my PB1-ISD. My room is very similar in size and I also have one whole side that is open to the dining room. Based on my furniture layout and WAF I really only have two possible positions for the sub. The one the really works well is in the front right corner next to the RF speaker. I really haven't calibrated yet but the bass so far is very clean and non directional, volume on the sub is at about 40% and at high volumes the windows rattle (in more than just the theater room). So far I am very impressed and have been re-watching a lot of my movies just to hear what good clean bass sounds like. By the way I am
also using an HK325 as my receiver. Have fun.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my PB1-ISD (tan-granite, very nice looking and high on the SAF scale) for about 2 weeks now, and it took quite a while to dial it in. I have only one position I can place it - left and slightly behind the main listening position next to my couch. It is in a corner across from my mains, room 13 x 18 x 8.

At first I was not blown away by what I heard but I only had enough time to adjust it by ear (mistake). I later used the Rat Shack meter with my receiver test tones on all my speakers and the sub. It got better. Then I used a single 80Hz tone to adjust the phase, and re-did the test tones. It got much better, but it still seemed to my ear that there was not enough low end.

Further reading on this forum lead me to believe that the test tones in some receivers are not accurate, so I used the THX Optimixer test tones that are on the Monsters Inc DVD. The SPL meter with these tones showed the sub to be 8db under the rest of the system! Once I boosted it accordingly I was into the "wow" response. Clean, full and impressive. Put in the Phantom Menace Pod race and "felt" it for the first time. I have the Avia disc on order to try and get it even better.

I now understand why SVS owners talk about their subs they way they do.

Also read that moving the sub a few inches this way or that can make a difference, and it did with mine. You might try this as well.

It took me some time but it was more than worth it. Keep playing.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Chris A H,

Everything you said sounds like my scenario. The place I want to put it is on the left end of my couch, slightly behind the primary seating positions. I also have the tan branite PB1-ISD coming and it should be here Friday. I bought a Radio Shack Analog meter the other day and will definitely use it for calibration. I also have the Avia disc and will use it too. Thansk for the tip on the Monster, Inc. disc as my kids have that movie already. Well, now I'm ecited and it would work out perfectly if the sub will sound good in my pre-picked ideal location. Thanks!

~ If I run into any probs, mind if I ask you a few questions being our setups seem to be quite similar?

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the Avia disc then the test tones there are similar/better to the THX Optimizer ones, you shouldn't need to do both.

Sure, you can ask questions, but I am far from being an expert in this stuff. I have learned a great deal from all the knowledge offered on this forum, so I'm sure there is someone out there who can answer your questions!

If you haven't already, read the Quick Overview of Home Theater Calibration in the FAQ section.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Ok the SVS arrived today and that thing is HUGE!! It's 6 inches shy of being as tall as my end tables....ceeeez. I sure hope the sound matches the size, but from what I read it will. Great link Chris AH, I am still reading it. I can't hook this baby up until the AM cuz the kiddies and wife are snoozing. Late!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks