What's new

svs or hsu subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a daily occurance (give or take a few) so no, I didn't have to say that.

As far as how happy *we* are with our subs? I live in a condo, so I can't listen at that level - ever.

At my girlfriend's house I could, but she doesn't care for such high SPLs. When alone in her house, I have to be careful about *damages* :D

On another note, I have 2 ASW1203s in my car driven by a JL 500/1. I get my "fix" in my car that hometheaters can't match. :D

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Wow ... So THIS is what happens when one goes to bed at 11 ... Peter Marcks, The Hsu forum has become a MUCH better place since you showed up.... :) ... And yes, the VTF-3.2 stacks up VERY well against SVS ... In fact, it actually WON the DBT with a 25-31 pc+ in our original shootout.

Tdekany ... Yes, the Hsu forum is to promote Hsu products. Why ? Because Hsu PAYS for it ... SVS is a primary sponsor of this forum, and yes, SVS gets more "play" than Hsu does here. They PAY for it... But some of the claims of bribes, and "He is on SVS's payroll" were mean-spirited AND untrue. MOST of the guys on the Hsu forum BTW, are wonderful. I have also come to look forward to YOUR posts, especially on AVS. Two months ago, I would not have said that ... but you have changed for the better, a good thing ... :)

Regarding performance ... Both companies make nice products, and there are certain "fans" of EACH company who are a bit TOO "over the top" when talking about the subwoofer he owns.

The FUNNIEST quote was sent to me via AVS's PM system ... The gent referred to this whole subwoofer war as guys measuring their "e-penis" ... and now SVS and Hsu guys are talking about who can give a woman more "O's" ... gotta LOVE it ... :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Svs and Hsu owners rejoice, you all bought a really good product.... :emoji_thumbsup:

I am off on a 2 day biz trip, so If I angered anyone, please accept my apologies now ... :)

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
OK, Please forgive me if I am interupting and I am not trying to Hijack But was just looking for an answer to the thread topic...

I am just a little guy... I just started researching subs a week or so ago.. I am looking to upgrade my little KSW-10 that only hits to 29hz... And I am looking for A full range SUB for a good price..

Axu R

Agent
I'm not into this sub-war, we have our own on a finnish forum. LOL They have a hard time believing that a 550€ sub can beat twice as pricy Velos (in numbers) for example.

I can't really say anything about Hsu's, that was just a quote from the shootout. They don't ship here, so we'll just have to cope with one quality brand and that's SVS. I don't really know about Hsu's quality, and I don't "care" because this is enough for me. Hope others could think so too.

"it hurts when others are trying to survive from a tsunami or a war, and we are debating on a couple of db's.."

Eric C D

Second Unit

Good luck filtering everything Lyle. IMO, If you don't have the opportunity to a head-to-head where you get to form an opinion about which one *you* prefer, you'd never regret any of your options from either of the companies mentioned. Therefore, if I were you, I'd start looking at whether there are some other features that make a diff *to you.*

First (to me) would be that in a small room, it is very likely you'll want to eq the sub to get a flat response all the way down. Otherwise, the room mode is likely to totally swamp the rest of the low frequencies. So IMO either budget some of your money for a separate eq or get one of the subs with an eq function built-in. For your budget in a small room, I'd much rather have one of either company's 10" sub and an eq than an 12" sub with an upgraded driver without an eq.

And second would be appearance - whether one of the offerings just goes with your room better. Maybe one size fits better than another. Maybe it's that one has the right color or finish. And maybe it's that an industrial finish would put up with you forgetting to put a coaster down before you put your beer on top of the sub :).

good luck,

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Wow-

I really miss alot when I work a double shift and only have a few min. to catch up each day.

I just want to encourage those looking for a new sub to LISTEN before they buy. I don't want to beat up on anyone for the choice they made or the lack of choice they made.

This forum should be a place for open discussion, which it seems as if this thread is slowly becoming one:D

I am still waiting for comments about my hearing;)

Dave

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
"I had to part with it due to a divorce and have been without an SVS for several months now..."

Dude, she took your subwoofer too?? :laugh:

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

lol, believe me, she was a huge SVS fan and one of the great things about our marriage was that I had a wife who loved bass as much as me :)

I took it upon myself to find my beloved SVS a new daddy.....The good news is that I get to order a new SVS here very shortly :)

You know, I hope that Tom and Ron don't get mad at me for saying this, but I thought I'd give a quick example of just how awesome these guys are.....

I was on the pre-order waiting list for a PB12-plus/2. About two weeks before they were to begin shipping, my wife decided she needed to up and leave and go find herself. Naturally, the dissolution of my marriage was on my mind more than my home theater set-up, but I was still pretty bummed about having to cancel my order. My wife and I agreed to a temporary separation, and at the time divorce was not an option. I emailed Tom and Ron and asked for a recommendation in the $500 range since this was now all I could afford due to the unforseen circumstances. They emailed me back with what I thought was going to be a suggestion to go with the 25-31PCi, but much to my surprise they said they had another idea. They said they felt bad that I wasn't going to be able to grab the PB12-plus/2 when it came out, but they had a similar sub with two ISD drivers (essentially it was a test model of what is now the PB12-ISD/2)that would get me much closer to the model I was missing out on than a single PCi would. It was a unit that they had been using to play around with and do some comparison testing on, and it's only real flaw was a slight nick on the cabinet. Guess what else? They even covered it with the same warranty as if it were a brand new model.

Now honestly, the fact that they even gave a sh*t about my circumstances was impressive enough. The fact that they took the time to go out of their way to figure out a way I could still get close to the bass I was hoping for with the pre-order blew me away. They didn't have to do any of that. They could have just sold me a PCi and have been done with it.

Some of you non-SVS guys wonder why we are so vocal about this company and their products.....well, it's in large part because of examples like this. Time and time again these guys go out of their way to make sure that their customers are satisfied. Mine is just one example of the type of personal attention they extend to us. The ironic thing is that they don't really have to do any of it; they'd probably still sell plenty of subwoofers. But they do it anyway.

It's been two years since this occurred, so hopefully Tom and Ron are okay with me sharing my experience on this forum......but this is the type of thing you rarely see from companies today and I wanted you guys to know about it.

When the STF line was coming out around Xmas time in 2003 I also preordered but I had them put me down for a B stock thinking that they must have a few coming in. Well, they sent out a *perfect* one because that was all that was available but still honorned the discount price. :)

Hsu Research also has a top notch customer service.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator

Craig that sounds bad, but I been winged here many times for saying I like my Hsu. In the time I have been a member I have seen some pretty hot under the collar subwoofer exchanges [on this forum], followed closely by the mods deleting the whole/part thread. I have not seen that on the Hsu forum, although admittedly I think it would be a strange move for any Svs fan to post on that forum. I don't read every thread on the Hsu site either so I must have missed the aggravation. Most of the time any Hsu question is answered pretty quick and with a detailed response.

Perhaps Peter may answer but I doubt its designed to be a free for all public debating forum like the HTF.

I also think Hsu should show some goodwill and advertise on this forum just like they do on other forums (AVS/HTS) so that members and visitors will know this forum is not anti any brand.

PC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

They have offered to pay for advertising in the last couple of months, but were told that due to contractural agreements with other sponsors, HTF could not accept.

note: it was actually a suggestion I made to Hsu/Sasha a long time ago as well.

martyTeboe

Grip
I've been reading these thread with much amusement. It seems kinda like some of the music forums I belong to where guys argue over who is the better guitar player. It's an argument that just can't be won, it seems.
I'm grateful that we live in a time when we have affordable options like these!

Anyway, I'm trying to make my decision based upon what I read here, and over at the AVS Forum.
As you can see by my equipment list, I'm an entry level enthusiast, still learning a lot about what it is I'm doing. I totally enjoy this little hobby, and love reading what you cats have to say.

I have a budget of $1000 for my Sub, but if I can get by paying less, that'd be even better.
I don't really want to bother shipping and reshipping these brutes back and forth to the manufacturer, preferring to make a decision, be happy, and move on to my next upgrade.

I've narrowed my decisions down to 5 different models:

HSU Research:
TN-1220 w/250w amp
VTF-3 MkII

SVS:
PB12-isd
16-46pci
Or, if it's that much an improvement over the lower priced models, the PB12-Plus

75% of my listening is with movies. Although I do enjoy music, of course, and have found many DVD-A and SACD discs which sound great.

I'm not asking which is better, with the understanding that that question leads to silly arguments. However, if anyone here has had the opportunity to hear most or all of these subs in person, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

By the way, I'm in an apartment, with my listening area being an approximately square room, about 20"x20", with the screen and speakers in a corner position.

Fire away!!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Marty:

On the SVS list you have, if you are 75% HT, I'd probably go with the 25-31 PCi and ask the SVS guys to tune it to 22hz for you (no additional charge). That was my first SVS and it kicked some serious ass with both movies and music. If you can go either box or cylinder, consider that the cylinder has a smaller footprint, which you may prefer for an apartment. Just my $.02

Maybe if these Hsu guys on here can take a break from talking about their penis size or their denial of the fact that their girlfriends fake orgasms (*joke alert*), maybe they can offer you some feedback on your other list.

Good luck, bro!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Hey...the 25-31PCi was is not on his list. :D

Marty...on the Hsu side of things, I think I would go with the VTF-3MK2 (I love the no cost maple finish). You can set if for 20hz or 25hz tune....whichever sounds best for you in your environment.

On the SVS side, the PB12-isd would be fine, but the PB12-Plus in wood looks VERY nice(again, the blonde finish unit I had was gorgeous).

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Marty-

I agree with Curtis. Check on this forum and see if there is someone in your area that have some SVS subs and/or some Hsu subs and take a listen.

Both subs look great and you will not be disapointed in the amount of performance you can get for under $1K.

Dave

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Curtis on this one.:) If you go the SVS rout, I would go with the dB+ driver in that size room even though you don't listen at high levels. 25-31PC+ or the PB12-Plus.

If you go the HSU rout, I would go with the VTF-3 MkII. Thanks for letting me spend your $$:emoji_thumbsup:

Axu R

Agent
What about PB12-ISD/2? That is a big room after all..

Although, if 1000$ is the budget, I'd stretch and get the ultimate PCU (the best driver, med-size cylinder). Heck, 150$ ain't much. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks