What's new

SVS of Wine? (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

A humble suggestion, unless you're buying meat that's already been aged:

Take the steak out of the styrofoam/plastic/paper market wrapper and wrap in a kitchen towel. Place in the fridge. Do this 2-3 days before you plan to cook it.

This is a quick and dirty way of "aging" meat prior to cooking. I think it makes a difference in the taste, and you'll waste no time cooking extra liquid off.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Angelo, the ever infomative Alton Brown from the Food Network just had a show about aging beef. He used a tupperware container with holes poked in it for air flow (put the beef on the lid and place the container on it upside down) and put it in the lower back part of the freezer. He did it for 72 hours, but it was for a 10lb standing rib roast - one honkin' cut of meat.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Outstanding values to be had in Australia:

Paringa Cabernet Sauvingon and Shiraz
Wishing Tree Shiraz
Woop Woop Shiraz
The Lucky Country Cabernet/Shiraz blend

The first and last ones are a bit more than 10 ($12 and $15 USD, respectively), but the middle two are about $8-$10 per bottle.

Once you drink any one of these, you'll never touch the yellowtail swill again. Especially the Lucky Country, it will blow your mind.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Another vote for the Wishing Tree Shiraz. Great value for money. I'll have to try the Lucky Country Cab/Shiraz.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

I believe I have seen that technqiue on his show, but haven't tried it myself. I have been happy with the kitchen towel technique.

Let me know if you try either technique.

Also, although I don't usually season steak during cooking beyond salt and pepper, your combination sounds good. Have you tried "Montreal seasoning?"

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Not me, salt and pepper only. Sometimes I will serve it au poivre (sp?) aka "with a shitload of cracked pepper on the outside".

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, sorry, I mean to address that question about the seasoning to Mark! :D

Personally, I agree and I pepare my steaks with my quickie aging technique and only sea salt and pepper. I've tried other seasonings (e.g., Montreal) but, almost always, I think they obscure the flavor of the steak.

I smell a steak thread coming on...

:D

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Maison Nichols....Can get it for 5 bucks a bottle at Sams or 8 bucks at Publix...Great stuff. My wife and I actually fell into it when we bought a bottle at a resturant...for 32 bucks...:angry:

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Holadem,

Do you live in NYC? If so, I like the following shops, they were a lot less stuffy than some of the old standards, and I thought they often had good values:

67th st Wine & Liquor (67th & Columbus)
Gotham Wine and Spirits 2517 Broadway (94th)
Garnet Wines & Liquors 929 Lexington Ave (68th)
There was also a store on 3rd in the low 90's on the east side of the street owned by an Australian who sold me good stuff. I didn't buy a ton of wine from him, but he was still always helpful, friendly and informative when I went in.

Find a salesperson and tell them what you like. For example "dry red $10 a bottle". Drink it, go back and find the same person tell them what you did or didn't like about the bottle and get something new.

Yes, I like it. But it is very salty, and it has a spice (I think Corriander seed) which can be overpowering if you use too much.

And finally, Good Eats "Dry Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus" is on again on 12/16 at 10pm. I may have to tune in.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yellow Tail is good but Rosemont Shiraz is better. It is another Australian Shiraz
About $15 a bottle. Awesome stuff.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If you are looking at $15 bottles, the Francis Coppola Diamond Series Black Label Claret (Cabenet Sauvignon) is very good at that price.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My advice is, rather than focusing on a few specific labels, find a good wine store and ask advice. A good wine store will have a very knowledgeable staff that will be able to recommend wines in your price range and to your preferences.

They won’t be put off that you are not buying Chateau Lafitte—real wine people love to help others learn and love to share their enthusiasm.

A good many offer periodic tastings for free or only a nominal charge. This is another good way to learn what you like (in your price range).

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
A wine "Avia" from Slovenia is very good; it's just about the cheapest thing you can buy in a bottle, too. Eastern European vineyards, some of which are very good indeed, are generally neglected in favour of the trendier South American, South African, or Australian vintners, much to the detriment of the wine-drinking public.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
A little over $10 but still close, I like...

Casa Lapostolle, their Rapel Valley Merlot and Cab are nice.
Villa Mt. Eden Chardonnay
Rodney Strong Merlot
Yalumba Grenache

I also second trying malbec's from Argentina and Chile. There are some nice wine's to be found there.

Have fun!

Alex

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If you mean the stuff made by McCormick, then the answer is yes. IMO it is very tasty. Obviously fresh-ground spices would be better but the Montreal seasoning is good if you want to add some quick flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks