What's new

SVS of Wine? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
...as in value for the $$$.

$10/bottle, preferably widely available. I am not looking for exotic stuff really, just wondering if there is anything remotely ressembling a consensus in that price range, even in this obviously subjective affair.

I lean toward the drier side of things, but am open to anything. Whatcha got?

--
H

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Are you looking for a particular type of wine? ... Chard, Cab, Pinot Noir? ....

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nope. I haven't enough experience to know what I want. I am looking to try different stuff over time, and trying to stay away from the garbage :)

I will say that the best wine I've had in recent memory was a Pinot Noir.

--
H

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Chilean or Argentinian malbecs (although the former are starting to lose their "relatively unknown bargain" status as more folks discover them). You can find a number of good NZ wines (Marlborough) in that price range (maybe a tad more), Pinot Noirs and Sauv Blancs in particular. You may try looking towards Spain as well. Unfortunately, a number of wines that were great bargins have become decidedly less so in the past couple of weeks following the WS 100 Top Wines issue. On the list? Great bargain? Immediate 50% mark up.

What wines do you normally like?

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Blackstone Merlot for the money is fantastic. Trader Joes has the ever popular 2 Buck Chuck. Ecco Domani is another great brand. Bulls Blood ( really its a wine ) goes well with steak and Prime Rib.

More later

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Louis Jadot Boujelais-Villages

Chill 1 hr in the fridge, ooooo man, tasty!

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Sorry to thread fart but the thread reminds me of the Friend's episode when Joey is just starting to date Charly.
Joey has this huge jug of wine, takes a swig and says "Who says wine has to cost more than milk?" :D

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Without a doubt, this is the best red wine I have ever tasted for $10 a bottle. Get a case, it'll last you all of two weeks:

http://www.jestred.com

Seriously, this has the feel of a $50 wine, for just $10.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Be sure to check out a bottle of Walnut Crest - cab or merlot. The price should be anywhere from $6-$8 and it's fantastic. We were so impressed that we bought several cases for our wedding reception.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor

Thanks Man. went on IMDB typed in Merlot and BOOM got a couple lines from the movie Good call

Rosemount Estate is a desent bottle of wine. Angus The Bull, ( hey another Bull, I'm a Taurus) Mouton Cadet, Luna De Luna, Three Sisters,

All this talking about wine has made me want to go home tonight Cook up a nice RIB EYE ALA' Sherm, "Yummy"* with a bottle of merlot and some other stuff.

* Here is a sure fire way to make a killer Steak to go along with one of the fine wines that we have been talking about here.

Start out with a Nice Rib Eye or Sirloin. Let it sit out at room temp for about an Hour or so just to get it up to room Temp. One side Note. Have the grill going at least 20-25 minutes ahead of time to make it super hot.

After steak has "aged" poke it a few times with a fork on both sides. The apply a small amount of EVOO on both sides and rub it into the Meat.

Now its fun time.

Sprinkle on in this order. Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, and Fresh Ground Pepper. Place on grill spice side down. As soon as you do apply the sea salt, Galic and Pepper to the top.

depending on the heat you should cook for about 6-7 minute each side for med/rare

If done right the Pepper will make a nice Crust on the steak which will complement a good merlot.

Good luck and happy hunting

SHERM

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
This is simple.

Walk into your local wine store and ask for their finest in a SCREWTOP.

Nothing beats a fine ripple or thunderbird.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You'll find some good wines around the $10/bottle price point from Australia. I like Yellow Tail.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I didn't care for yellowtail chardonay for some reason or another, but there's another I did, I think it's koala crossing or something like that, can't miss it with a yellow label and a koala on it.

oh, and
IF ANYONE ORDERS ANY FUCKING MERLOT I'M LEAVING

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well what do you know, I had this 2 nights ago (Merlot), liked it, but it left me wanting more - not sure how to explain it.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks