What's new

SVS 20-39PCi Who's got one (1 Viewer)

Shaun

Second Unit
I also have one of the older 20-39PC subs, non-upgraded, bought in 2001 and still sounds awesome. I have it nestled in the corner and at half volume the thing is powerful, clean and gets the job done. I just upgraded the rest of my system and the only remaining component of my older system is the SVS, which I would like to upgrade to the 20-39PC Ultra, maybe next year. First I have to get all the other stuff paid off though. After SVS, nothing else compares. They are the only subwoofer company I will ever buy from.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Blaine_M,

Just a follow up!

You should NEVER miss this link!!!!!

My SVS subwooder experience

smile.gif

Neil

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure it's a 20-39PCi. It's the lowest it can go based from NCH tone generator test I did. A little slower too when it gets air.
smile.gif

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Question, with my current sub, should I hook it up through the regular sub input, or can I bypass the crossover stuff and hook it up through the EQ input since my stereo is already filtering the sub out?

David K.

Second Unit
I currently have 2 sony sawm-40's, how will 1 SVS 20-39 pci compare to my 2 sonys in regards to spl output?

I want to upgrade my sub, but Im wondering how much of an upgrade is 1 svs pci versus 2 sony sawm40's?

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
hi david k,

since you live in california, go to the "hardware for sale forum" and check out the PB2+ i'm selling.

the pci is good, but the PB2+ is a true world class performer.

best,

eric

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
David K, I currently have one Sony SAWM-40 and I have heard a couple SVS subs. I can tell you that replacing your two Sony's with one SVS will be a phenomenal improvement. The SVS will go much lower and not be so 'hot' at the upper end like the Sony can be. The extension is much, much deeper. For the price the Sony isn't bad, but for the price the SVS is outstanding.

David K.

Second Unit
ya i got my subs on clearance, for about $100 each,

one sub wasnt enough, then i got a second sub and they hit 115 dB from the listening position on the Darla glass tap scene! Same dB readouts on Haunting DTS-ES DVD

My room is very live, Im just afraid my room may swallow up one SVS pci sub. I was planning on getting the pc+ 20-39 but there doesnt seem to be much difference aside from more head room between the + and pci, and even then the head room is only a couple dB's.

If I were to spend that much on a Pc+ I might as well go with the pb12-ISD which will be a lot more spl then the pc+ 20-39 for practically the same price.

But I want to keep it $700 < below

Maybe in the future I can get two PCI's which will outperform the pb12 isd?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
quote:My room is very live, Im just afraid my room may swallow up one SVS pci sub. I was planning on getting the pc+ 20-39 but there doesnt seem to be much difference aside from more head room between the + and pci, and even then the head room is only a couple dB's.

The TC-Sounds dB-12 is a more capable woofer than the Improved Standard Driver (ISD) used in the PCi. Expect a PC+ to outperform a PCi by about 5 dB below 30 Hz. Above 30 Hz, the advantage is less, about 2-3 dB.

Twin 20-39PCi cylinders co-located will have the edge over a single 20-39PC+. From about 17-25 Hz it would be close with the edge still going to the duals, and in the >25 Hz region, the advantage of the duals will grow to the 3-4 dB range. So if you can live with the larger footprint of dual PCi cylinders, they will slightly outperform a single PC+.

The Plus cylinders are still VERY potent performers for the money (I should know, I lived with a 20-39PC+ for over a year) and a single cylinder can be moved around easier and placed into a smaller spot.

You would have to push either of the above options to the limit to exploit the performance differences between them. Either of them will provide superb bass (clean, loud, flat, deep and low in distortion) in that size room.

quote:If I were to spend that much on a Pc+ I might as well go with the pb12-ISD which will be a lot more spl then the pc+ 20-39 for practically the same price.

In the stock 25 Hz tune, the PB12-ISD will have a considerable output advantage over a single 20-39PC+ in the >23 Hz region.

Below about 22-23 Hz, the high-pass/infrasonic filter in the PB12-ISD/2 will start to ramp down the response to protect the woofers from over-excursion, and the 20-39PC+ will gain an output advantage in the 18-22 Hz region.

The 20-39PC+ has a stock tune point of 20 Hz with all ports open, the resonators are functioning optimally in the 18-22 Hz range, and the 20-39PC+ really shines in this region.

If you tune the PB12-ISD/2 to 20 Hz, the two models will be very closely matched in the 18-22 Hz region. The PB12-ISD/2 will have less port area than the 20-39PC+, but it will retain the advantage of two driver radiating surfaces.

Above 23 Hz, the 20 Hz-tuned PB12-ISD/2 will still hold an advantage (albeit less than with all ports open) over a single 20-39PC+.

Regards,

Ed

David K.

Second Unit
so what your saying no matter what the case If I spend 800-900 dollars, the performances of dual pci, single pc+, and pb12-isd will all show little differences in performance at the same price points? so what it comes down to mainly is footprint?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks