What's new

SVS 20-39 mini review (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I know everyone is sick of SVS threads but I had to make this post because it was through the advice on this forum that I made the purchase I did.

I just wanted to say that the sub has lived up to its reputation. I am truly shocked at the improvement I have experienced, especially in music. My old sub boomed too much and I ran my speakers full range for music. While using the 20-39 PC-Plus, music has improved two-fold. I know get way better highs and mids because my receiver has lost the strain of the bass, but obviously the bass is improved as well.

Movies have a much bigger impact now. I can actually feel the bass on some parts. I highly recommend SVS. I was espcially impressed at the help Erik offerred me. They really want you to get the right product and don't direct you to the next model if they don't have to.

I didn't know a sub could make this much difference in my system but it did.

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Elliott,

Welcome to the SVS club! I also didn't think changing subs would have that big of an impact but low and behold WOW what a difference. I got the 25-31PC+ from a member of the forum and its the best money I have ever spent.:D

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I have a 25-31PC+ and most people say movies is where this sub shines. I have to say I enjoy listening to music more with it and blends so well!!!! beautiful! SACD sounds great!!!! it is the best money I have spent also. I hope this puppy is around for lots O' years!!!!! congrats Elliott.

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
RALPH and ELLIOTT,

What speakers and rec are you running with you sub? and what are you using to calibrate them?

Sony da4es
Boston VR12 center
Boston HD5 rears
Pioneer fronts (soon to be Boston VR2)
SVS 25-31PC+

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
You should be calibrating with something like AVIA or DVE with the Ratshack Sound Meter. :)

I have to agree with all your statements, the PC+ 20-39 made a huge difference in my HT. I was listening to some music thing (playing a simple Mp3 through the system) and when I switched the sound from the main speakers to the sub and back and forth, it was amazing the quality difference with the less strain on the receiver.

Glad you enjoy the Sub, only bad thing is you will want to upgrade at some point...hee hee, I already want a PB2+ hee hee.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Onkyo TX-DS494 55wac rms
Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts
Paradigm CC-370 Center
JBL N24II surrounds (eventually Mini Monitors)
SVS 25-31PC+

using AVIA and digital ratshack meter.

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
I have this dvd called
The Ultimate DVD. and the speaker test tones on the disc are real close to the internal test tones but the sub is way different.I have calibrated my system with this disc and so far I see a big improvement in impact! I did see a change of about 3 db between DTS and DD on my sub only is this normal??
Has anyone used or seen this disc (the ultimate dvd)?
is it good enough or should I get something else?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I have that disc and think it is a very good calibration disc. you wont hear of many people using it but I think it is very acurate and even like it better than AVIA. but I use Avia cause of the mass that use it. :)

dont worry the disc is better than reciever test tones. I think its a very good disc. I wouldn't buy another disc. I did(Avia & DVE) and trust me its just as acurate. stick with the DD calibration as thats what most discs use anyway.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I have a Denon 3803
Paradigm CC 370
Paradigm Studio 40s

It's been calibrated with Video Essentials. Erik suggested my listening levels were a little on the high side so I have tried to tone them down. That was something that was even more helpful than buying the sub itself. I don't want to lose my hearing before my time. :D

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Ralph,
Thanks for the words about The Ultimate DVD. When I use that disc it sounds great! I will go with the DD settings Thanks!

Elliott,
Whats your fav. movie to demo so far?

Paradigm! very popular I have never heard them before I may have to check them out. But I do love my Bostons:D

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Also if you are interested in test tones there are a few sites that have 11 to 100Hz tones. I can't remember which sites, hopefully some one here can. If you take a look on the PC Ultra page on SVS they list Autosound2000. having purchased it it is very good and runs about $27.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Phantom Menace and Daredevil have been the most impressive. I honestly haven't done too many movies yet as I have been rediscovering my CD collection. I'll let you know if any movies really standout in the next few days.

Jonathan_E

Agent
Ralph - We have fairly similar systems:

Denon AVR-3803
Paradigm monitor 7's
Paradigm cc-370
cheap sonys for surrounds x4 (will be replaced with mini monitors x4)
And the newest edition as of yesterday: SVS pci 20-39

Calibrated with Avia and analog ratshack meter.

I love it. I listened to music for 8 hours straight today while doing homework, and every now and then I'd have to get up to go give my subwoofer a hug:D . Can't wait for next week when I'll have some time to watch a bunch of movies.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Jon: I wish I had 8 hours to listen to music. but being a stay at home dad with 2 little ones when they goto bed and the wife gets home I only get a hour at the most. but weekends are fun!

we do! do you feel your missing something without good surrounds or do your sonys do the job ? my JBL's are ok but I def feel like something is missing. I guess you are enjoying the SVS eh ? :) that was def the biggest missing piece before I got it, realized that big time after I had it but took some getting use to after the boomy sub I had. now its just music to my ears@ :)

Jonathan_E

Agent
Ralph: I'm content at the moment with the sony's, although they're just some cheap satellites that were in my first HTIB system. I don't feel like I'm missing a ton most of the time since the surrounds are the least used channels, but I do whenever I'm watching a good action film that stresses the surrounds. I definately will replace them eventually, but I would prefer to save up the money for 4 mini monitors so that the system will be timbre matched.

Most of the time I don't get to listen to that much music either between school and work, but yesterday was my catch up / cram day, so I had the music going all day. And I love that sub (other people are also correct in saying it sounds better with the t-shirt;)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I hear ya on HTIB, the JBL's were my 2nd attempt at a real HT after a HTIB. that too was a failure. I think im on the right track now and love my setup. I do feel that Mini Monitors would improve the setup greatly!

I will have to try out the T-shirt thing. been looking for something else to buy. going to order now! :)

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
It would be nice to have a t-shirt with your own SVS model number on it. But SVS could end up selling more t-shirts than subs.

I was going to look for a personalised t-shirt printer in the city. Then sport a nice big SVS 16-46 logo at the big local AV/hifi show!

Designer label clothing for the bass connoisseur! All in the best possible taste! Exclusivity guaranteed! ;)

ChrisBee

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
thats pretty funny!!!!

I could not decide between the sub human or the other. got the sub human. should have bought one when I ordered. would have saved on shipping. but I didnt know that I would be such a fan. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks