What's new

Survivor - Samoa (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mylan ) that the name of the show is Survivor. My wife said the same thing.

I sure got reminded of that as I was thinking about how absolutely miserable it must've been dealing with all that cold rain like they were. Brrr. That was the most interesting part of the episode (outside of Russell's emergency)--coping with the rain.

I certainly thought it added to the dynamic of the Foa Foa "situation" that they were denied the piza...since they were so close to winning the challenge when Russell went down.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was disappointed to see Russell go. He was a strong
leader and a very competitive player. He did push himself
more than anyone else, and unfortunately, paid the price.

I also think it was admirable, under the circumstances, not
to hold tribal council. I mean, nobody even got to eat pizza.

I think Monica is going to be the next to go in the Galu tribe
and Liz in Foa Foa.

mylan

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ) that the name of the show is Survivor. My wife said the same thing.

Not only that but she also thought both tribes should have been issued tarps due to probably the worst weather I think ever on any season but you are correct, the name of the game is Survivor after all.

Ron, hopefully they'll spare Monica and Liz, the eye candy quotient was small to begin with and getting smaller.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

I read that both tribes did get pizza afterward, we just didn't see it.
Hmmmm. Well Probst doesn't mention it in his blog...in fact, he reiterates that "We don't give them food. We don't give them water. We don't help them start their fire..."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really hope that they weren't given food off camera
without the viewing audience knowing. The setup
is that these are survivors and if they are secretly
being fed then the show is fake. I don't mind if they
were given pizza, but let us know.

You know, I really love to pick this show apart as
far as how much of it is real and how much isn't.

I think the situations are all real. It's the reactions
that usually aren't. For instance, a shot of one
Survivor napping in a hammock while another looks
in a tree for the idol probably didn't happen at the
same time. Liz talking in secret about Russell to
another contestant while Russell has this ominous
look on his face probably happened at different times.
It's all about telling a story and most of the reaction
shots probably have nothing to do with the action itself.

Another thing I noticed...

At tribal council Jeff Probst knows EVERYTHING
that is going on in the tribe over the past few days.
He knows the exact questions to ask to the right
individual. Does he sit all day and watch the action
being taped live? Is there a certain amoung of time
between taping and Tribal Council for Jeff to watch
the video, or, is someone just taking notes and
keeping him up-to-date and feeding questions to ask?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Jeff writes in the comments section of his blog (currently around page 3):

Hey all,
1. They did get pizza, we just didn’t have time to include it in the episode. We’re tough but not unfair.
2. They had their blindfolds on for a few minutes until we could figure out if Russell had any chance of coming back to continue the challenge.

As for Ron's question: I'm fairly certain Jeff is kept informed of what's going on at the camps. Plus tribal councils often last at least an hour (3 hrs sounds off in my head but that seems like an unusually long time, but that includes the off camera discussion on what order to display the votes - notice the ones we see are usually the first ones out of the canister) so a lot of information comes out for Jeff to form questions around.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't attach any negative significance to giving them all pizza off-screen, especially when Jeff told them they would get it, it's not like the show is sneaking food to the castaways behind our backs.

I just know that if I had been there I would have been a little miffed at Jeff for dragging us all out to tribal council for nothing when we were all running low on both moral and energy, he could have updated us on Russell back at camp(s).

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I just know that if I had been there I would have been a little miffed at Jeff for dragging us all out to tribal council for nothing when we were all running low on both moral and energy, he could have updated us on Russell back at camp(s).
Actually, I bet they were thrilled to get out of the rain for a few hours and to get to sit by a fire. I doubt that anyone was really annoyed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't attach any negative significance to giving them all pizza off-screen, especially when Jeff told them they would get it, it's not like the show is sneaking food to the castaways behind our backs.
I dunno John. Seems to me like they gave them the pizza behind our backs.

Jeff amkes the big announcement at the challenge that winners get pizza. That's a big deal to them. After the challenge is stopped, Jeff makes the announcement there are no winners...meaning no pizza. Everyone is bummed about that (and Russell, of course)...but especially Foa Foa because they thought they were winning (and can't catch a break).

At tribal, Jeff makes the big announcement that no one is being voted off. Full disclosure would have required a single sentence from him "Oh. And you're all getting some pizza." Maybe 1.5 seconds of precious air time.

It is not insignificant that these people who are dealing with some of the most difficult weather and food conditions ever (Probsts' own opinion) are being given food by the producers and the audience is left in the dark. I'm not casting judgment on the decision to give them the food, but on the decision not to let the audience in on it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised they got some food. I honestly believe the lifeless Russel hanging off the edge of the maze board probably scared the producers shitless and they figured these people might need some sustenance.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
One thing I was wondering – doesn’t Russell’s tribe have fishing gear? I know that Shambo went out to catch fish and lost the mouth piece on the snorkel, but since that time they have not shown anyone even attempting to catch fish. You think that if they were all that hungry they would be catching some fish.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, they showed Russell himself, in the rain, casting a line out into the water right at the beginning of the last episode.

Of course, I commented to my wife that I'm not sure how he could be catching any fish since the water wasn't even covering the top of his feet... Unless there was a really steep drop-off...but it was a beach.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I know we don't see their whole day, but I think that if I was on the island I think that there would be plenty of time to look for food. And make another shelter.

Skills to learn prior to going on survivor;

Making fire
How to thatch a roof
Different ways to catch fish without much gear

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glad to see Liz go home. My choice.

This is the second time at Tribal Council Liz spoke
emphatically about trusting her teammates. Yet, we
all remember her telling Russell that she doesn't trust him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks