What's new

Surround Speakers (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Brandon
I have been looking at speakers for a while now and have a few questions.....
I have a 57" hdtv in a large room. I sit about 12-15ft back from it. What specs should a speaker have to cover this area? I need to buy all speakers for my 5.1 system.

I am trying to stay in the within my budget($300-$400 excluding sub)
I have been looking at Infinity (Primus) and Yamaha. Does anyone have any feedback?

Also, I may be talked into going with a Bose system if it is much more superior then what I am looking at.

Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No real model number type suggestions, except to say no one here at the HTF is going to talk you into the Bose. Bose is universally loathed for being overpriced, overhyped and poor performing compared to much less expensive alternatives. Any of the brand name speakers in your budget will outperform a Bose system costing hundreds more. Step up to a Bose budget and you will really be getting bang for your buck in an Axiom, Paradigm or other similar. You might also look at Polk and JBL in your budget of 300-400, both offer a good buy in that price range. As far as "What specs should a speaker have to cover this area?", any competent speaker with a good receiver should be able to handle that room. It's when you get into choosing a sub that room size matters most, given that great bass requires pressurizing the room to get the full impact.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Whoops, double post.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If you are concidering Satellite Speakers such as the Bose.. Then take a look at the Infinity Modulus II System. Excellent Matched system including the Powered sub includes all 5 speakers and sub for less then $1000. I agree with Jeff aviod bose systems.

Real Name
Brandon
A little clarification... I assume a satellite system is one where smaller speakers are used as the surrounds. Is this better then going with bookshelf type speakers as the fronts and surrounds?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

A satellite system usually describes a bookshelf/subwoofer combo, used instead of full range main speakers. It is usually referring to a 2 channel only system. There is a lot of debate on the use of full range vs. bookshelfs for the mains, with good points on either side. Personally, in a home theater application I would buy bookshelfs instead of floorstanding (full range) for mains and use the money I save towards a better subwoofer. Surrounds are usually smaller bookshelf or wall mounted speakers, although some use floorstanders all around.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Insignia NS-b2111 at best buy. These speakers do wonders for $40-50 a pair. I would get those for your fronts and surrounds. I don't know what to suggest for a center. For a sub, Dayton audio has one for around $120-150 range.

I am assuming you have a Receiver already, if you do what is the receiver?

Real Name
Brandon
I have a Marantz SR-8200 receiver. As for a subwoofer I was looking at the Infinity PS12 ($299 retail) 12" woofer. I had a 10" sub with my previous system and it was wasn't enough to fill my room
(18' x 14').

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

I probably confused you with my statment. I used the term Satellite Speakers to refer to surface mounted smaller Cube Speakers. So Many terms and so easy to confuse them all!:)

After 20 years of home theater I still catch myself calling Projectors "Cameras"... I don't think I'll ever get over that one!..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks