What's new

Surround speakers: di-pole, bi-pole, WDST? (1 Viewer)

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
Below is a quick diagram of my living room. It is 90% of the time just my wife and I to watch TV or a movie, so not worried about the people on the side wall. The diagram is not 100% to scale either, but gives the locations of couches and speakers. I have a Def Tech Mythos Seven center, it is the only thing that can fit where we can put the center. I was planning on either using Klipsch RB 61 or RB 81 for the fronts or Def Tech pro or studio monitors. For the rear is the real question. The speakers would be basically right next to the listeners on the couch facing the TV. We do like to hear music in the kitchen area while we are there which is what makes me think I should use a di-, bi-pole, or WDST vs. direct speaker. So, do I want bi-poles (in phase) di-poles (out of phase), or WDST which I can't figure out what the phasing is? Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well... 1. Stick with Def Tech. A Mythos center and Klipsch...yeah, no. 2. Your "surround" speakers should face each other...not face the TV. If you were doing 7.1, the 6/7 would face the TV. 3. Di/Bi-poles won't work without a back wall...at all. Don't even think about it.

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
1. Why? Not to sound dumb, but right now I have the DT mythos center and am using my old Klipsch RF 3s in front and RS3s in back. Just with the current remodel of the living room, I can't use floor standing speakers any more. I like the sound. 2. they would be facing each other hanging off the walls. 3. Klisph WDST is basically their branding of Di/Bi-pole, right? So just go with normal forward firing speakers and mount them on the walls pointing toward the listeners?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, if you like a wide dispersion center paired with horn, so be it. Yes, the effectiveness of di/bi-pole is predicated on "correct speaker placement"...which you don't have. Also, Klipsch doesn't call their di/bi-pole because... The purpose of di/bi-pole is to create diffuse sound. A horn is intended to center the sound on a spot.... So, in effect, if Klipsch used the terms... "We make centered diffuse sound"...They'd be laughed at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks