What's new

Surround Sound won't work with TV apps (Pandora, YouTube, Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Hiroshi

Auditioning
Real Name
Mel
Hey everyone, I currently have a Sony Bravia 5.1 surround sound hooked up to a Sony Google TV.
Here's how it's currently hooked up:
-HDMI from Sony Bravia to Sony Google TV (this enables surround for DVDs).
-Red/white audio cables from FIOS receiver to Sony Bravia (this enables surround for cableTV).
I can't figure out how to connect the surround sound so it'll work with the Sony Google Apps or Widgets. For example, when I run the Netflix app through the Google TV, only the TV speaker will work.
I was thinking that making a third connection (adding an optical cable) might do the trick.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Mel,

A couple things here. First, you are not getting surround from using the red/white connections. The feed to the receiver is stereo only. It may be playing in all the speakers, but it is still only stereo.

Is the GTV built into the TV? If so, the best bet would be to connect an optical cable to your receiver. However, be aware that the only way to get surround from Netflix at the moment is with a PS3 (and then only for some movies). AFAIK, you cannot get surround from youtube and Pandora is a music service (stereo only).

FWIW I have a Logitech Revue and the only 5.1 I can get out of it is when I supply the movie (either through a hard drive or PLEX).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks