What's new

Surround Placement (1 Viewer)

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone:
I am preparing to wire my new house with a modest HT by installing in wall speaker wiring, and I have a question about where to terminate the wire runs for the surrounds.
I had planned on placing my two surrounds on the rear wall, about two feet above the listening area, and six feet apart. I also want to supply wires for the extra speakers in a 6.1 or 7.1 system, in case I want to upgrade.
As I do not have side walls, will the center surround be too close to the others if I mount this speaker directly behind at the same level as the other two rear speakers?
Will the front surround be acceptable on the wall above the center channel?
Any suggestions or comments about surround placement are welcomed. Also, if I have miss understood 6.1/7.1 theory, please help me.:)
Thanks
RW

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Roy,

I have heard most are using two rear center speakers

instead of one in the exact center. The reason is, if one

speaker is placed directly behind, the sound

will seem to come from in front instead of behind. In your

case with only a 6 foot spread, I would put in wiring for

two additional speakers, each one 18 inches inside of, and

slightly below each rear speaker.

JRS

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Roy, depending on what you plan to get, 6.1 would give you the mono rear center channel as oppose to 7.1 will give you stereo rear center channels. depending on how your house is configured 7.1 application can be done but if you have all your surround speakers on the back wall even if lyou put the center channels 18 inches apart, it will be difficult to tell where the sound is coming from. Maybe a layout of the area may activate on of our many informed members to pointing out the right direction.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to provide a diagram, but I am web page challenged and do not have any place to host an image.

I am afraid if I tried to describe the room, I would confuse everyone...

Is there any other way to post a scanned diagram?

Thanks for the input all the same, Jerome

RW

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Sounds to me that if you do not have side walls that you should put the surrounds in the celing and then leave room for the 6.1/7.1 rear channel on the back wall.

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Jerome - I do believe the two rear center channels in 7.1 setups (DD EX, DTS ES etC) are mono. They both produce identical sound.

Cheers,

Mal

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
Mal is correct. The 7.1 just uses 2 speakers to produce a mono signal, just like DPL.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I would like to provide a diagram, but I am web page challenged and do not have any place to host an image.
Just go to Freeservers.com and get a free web site. They have an easy web page builder program that you could put a pic. on in less that a few minutes. If I can do it any one can, see my site!
Wes

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Jerome - I do believe the two rear center channels in 7.1 setups (DD EX, DTS ES etC) are mono. They both produce identical sound.
Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't have 7.1 set up but I have the 6.1 set up DD-EX and DTS-ES, that produces the mono surround track even with two back surround speakers, but I thought 7.1 was configured in the following manner"

front l/c/r = 3 discrete channels

side l/r = 2 discrete channels

rear l/r = 2 discrete channels

LFE = 1 Low Frequency Effect.

Thats what I though was the 7.1 configuration even when using logic 7 on lexicon's processors and the high end Harman kardon during 5.1 material. Just want to know if I'm correct or wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread