What's new

surround placement recommendations for 5.1 (1 Viewer)

I have an L couch on back wall fitted to left corner and and sub in the other corner. Recliner is a bit forward of right arm of couch and 3-4ft from sub next to right wall angled. Listening will mostly be from these positions but occasionally will move out chair forward and centered in front of couch about 4-6ft from back wall. Side wall to side wall is about 12ft with 8ft ceiling. Need in wall, ceiling, or high corner placement and height advice. Stands out of the question. Looking at 6.5 or 5.25 two-ways under $100 like some Dayton's. Not looking for optimum, just a good compromise for being against the wall at times. Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It's hard to picture what you're saying, but in-walls would be my absolute last choice. Ideally, surround speakers should be 1-2 feet above your head(when seated), and 1-2 feet behind your head(when seated). Check out THX.com and Dolby's website.

Thanks! What Im saying is my height options are good but being almost against the back wall the behind the listener option is not an option except when I pull my chair out when Im gaming or alone! SQ will not be critical, they are just for movies and gaming ambience, I would think decent in-walls would suffice. I can do 2ft above ear level but it won't be behind. I was wondering if anyone has tried in-ceiling flush, tight in the corners!WAF is a must! Already pushed it with a new 50 inch plasma and PC12 NSD! Any suggestions except stands are appreciated! thanks!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Check out this guide Dolby speaker placement and try to transpose it on your room. This will show you where your speakers should be placed in relation to your seating.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

As you can see having your prime seating on a back wall does not work well with 5.1 or 7.1 systems. Since we don't know your room sizes seating for a 50" plasma should be around 7' to 8' from the screen. Floating your prime seating at that distance may get that furniture off the back wall and help you with speaker placement.

Just because large screen TV's and surround speakers are sold does not mean that they are easy to install for good performance in all rooms. It's important to follow that Dolby guide as best you can because that is how surround systems were designed to operate, deviate too much and performance will suffer.

I also don't see how in-wall or in-ceiling speakers will solve any of your problems. Read the numerous threads on this subject and you will see the drawbacks in performance to built In's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks