What's new

Surge protector/suppressor for open ground. (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any type surge protector that doesn't require a ground wire from the receptacle. My home is an older one and I'm kind hoping I can find another solution other then paying $2000-$5000 for an electrician The biggest threat to my devices is lightning storms.

Real Name
Chris
You may be able to go to best buy and pick up a battery backup supply. Many of them will be able to ground the electronics. Then go to homedepot and pick up a GFCI outlet to replace it with your 2 prong outlet. While you will have the 3rd prong available, it wont be a functional ground but I believe the GFCI unit will still trip if its overloaded and with a battery backup its even safter because it maintains a constant voltage.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

But with a battery backup wouldn't you have to get a large one to cover the power draw of a HT? Also what about the ability of a battery backup to offer a true sine wave? I also second replacing your outlet with a GFCI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks