What's new

Supposedly terrific movies that just didn't do it for you... and why. (1 Viewer)

Mark Goodman

Agent
Spiderman don't understand why this was so popular either. People must never tire of the coming of age/self discovery story's. That shot of spidey bouncing on the balloons is just awful.

Blade Runner given it a couple viewings but nothin' doing.

Blazing Saddles didn't care for it yet Young Frankenstein is an all time classic imo.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Out of curiosity, what movies have made you FEEL something, cause this movie continues to move me every time I watch it (probably 20-30 times in the last 25-30 years).
It's never moved me at all. I've seen it at least three times, one of them in a movie theater, and it just falls flat for me every time.

Since you asked, I'm much more moved by things like:

Brief Encounter
It's a Wonderful Life
Tender Mercies
Chaplin's The Kid
Fiddler on the Roof

etc., etc.

Casablanca just doesn't push my buttons for some reason. It seems almost clinical to me. I sincerely find Citizen Kane more moving than Casablanca.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
The Godfather - I'm sorry but I was so bored by this movie. Now I considered myself a well rounded film watcher but I didn't care about any of the characters and I kept waiting for the credits.

Gladiator - You know, I really don't feel guilty for not liking this one. It won Best Picture sure but so did A Beautiful Mind which leads us to...

A Beautiful Mind - I think this has to do with the fact that it beat out 3 other movies that were about 20x greater (Gosford Park I have not seen) and that it has Russel Crowe in it.

Braveheart - Not that I didn't like this one. I liked it but it wasn't "AHH! BRAVEHEART IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!". I think this too is overrated.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Again, liked it not loved it. I haven't seen it in a while but I remember it being so hard to get into.

And in defense of Moulin Rouge, I haven't seen it in over a year but when I did I remember being in love with it. It might have something to do with the theory that it just clicks for those involved in the performing arts. I really don't know. I mean, give be a 2 minute Quentin Tarantino take over 300 Baz Luhrmann cuts per minute anyday. I was annoyed by the editing but the editing isn't the reason I liked the movie.

FredK

Second Unit
Godfather - gets better every time, I don't know of a better movie that tells a single character's story arc so indirectly... something I wish I'd see more of.

Godfather 2 - bad, glad to see I'm not the only love G1 dislike G2 HTFer.

Braveheart - also gets better every time.

LOTR - I understand not putting these up as the greatest ever, the movies do have their problems and demand a lot of interest brought from the viewer (instead of pulling us in immediately)... but they're still great.

Citizen Kane - I loved it, but I'm infatuated with early 20th century business life so I'm biased here.

My personal let down has to be Gone with the Wind (and I like Zhivago as a love story!)... I just couldn't get involved, and unlike other greats I didn't enjoy (2001), I just can't recognize it as being that good.

Clem

Agent
Count me in with Spiderman. I wanted to like this and I really like Tobey Maguire but this movie left me bored.

Pritzi Honor. Black comedy guess I just don't/didn't get it.

The Italian Job. I didn't hate this movie but certainly not a "Top 10 Movie" to me. A rental maybe. Of course with Charlize Theron it wasn't a total disappointment :)

The Matrix series. I have never been a big fan of sequels but had such high hopes after watching the first one. I loved the first one and absolutely hated the second while mildly tolerating the third.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
The Matrix Revolutions:

man, what a waste of time. you know, i was waiting and waiting for Neo to get back into the Matrix and do some kind of butt-kicking job on Smith, but all that happens is a battle for Zion fest that goes on for so long you start to feel queasy. And the finale battle, with Smith, was such a let down in the end i walked out feeling cheated.

and i was one of the few that really enjoyed Reloaded, too, by the way. I still feel that Reloaded is the superior movie of the two sequels.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I didn't see it until it came out on DVD, and then rushed to get it. The overblown hype just didn't do it justice...for me anyway.

Lotta Moulin Rouge hate in this thread... personally, I loved it. But those first 15 minutes or so are just... bizarre. ;)

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned...

Blair Witch Project: Over-hyped garbage. While it was original, I didn't think it was worthy of the praise it got...

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Right now my vote is for Chicago. Both my wife and I did not think this movie garnered any of the great praise it did receive, even the best movie nod.

Paul

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Raging Bull : I like most of Scorcese movies, but this ones bores me to death. Impressive technique but I hate the main character and just can't get involved.

English Patient: long and boring. Is adultery supposed to be romantic :thumbsdown:

Chicago: merely OK, nothing special. A few average musical numbers and a paper thin plot.

8 1/2: didn't get into this. I like all the other Fellini movies I've seen and this one is loved by so many people, I'll give it another try soon.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The Island of Dr. Moreau. A very sweeping epic, great acting, and a marvelous story. Surprised it didn't win all the awards, but it just didn't do it for me.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Which "Island of Dr. Moreau?" The Michael York, Burt Lancaster, Nigel Davenport version was infinately superior to the garbage version Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer starred in. The original "Island of Lost Souls" with Charles Laughton was superior to both.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fight Club - left a very bad taste with me.

I can appreciate the exploration of shallowness in our current society. What I can't stand is the road to salvation is done by using and abusing other people physically and/or mentally....EVEN if it is done in a satirical, irrevent manner.

A totally narcisstic journey to validate one's existence.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
What I can't stand is the road to salvation is done by using and abusing other people physically and/or mentally
Since the thread is for people to freely express their dislikes, I won't really debate your dislike of the film, but I do disagree with this being correct.

I thought the road to salvation was recognizing that behavior of that type is misguided or outright wrong. To me the film was about the lure of the counter-culture on Gen X, Y or whomever and the fallacies that lie behind it.

The very thing that sickened you is what Fincher is attacking. If any character in the film is a hero it is HB Carter who finds and appreciates love even when it comes from the obnoxius Tyler Durden. Durden is quite clearly the evil temptation rather than the real answer, so it is quite natural that his methods toward salvation are perverted and abusive.

The only thing about FC that bothered me was the audience members who left thinking Tyler was the hero and agreed with his approach to life, rather than recognizing that it only sounds good when you discount many important factors that should not be overlooked...just like the followers of Durden in the film. How's that for Fincher being spot-on with his social commentary.

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Man so many of these movies are SO not what I would call movies that are Terrific, I guess without a qualifier that word of mouth counts.

I guess I will chime in with my didn't do it for me:

Lord of the Rings. I just didn't buy into it, with a fantasy movie if it can't get you to suspend your disbelief I think a lot of it is lost on the viewer.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Chariots of Fire - When I saw this as a teenager, I'd heard it was the "sleeper" hit of the year. That's exactly right. It put me to sleep.

Chicago - I'd heard so much about this film, that I thought it was going to be all that. I rented the DVD and watched it with my mother, and neither of us were terribly impressed. A musical in which the bulk of it either occurs in prison or in the girl's mind? Naaaah.

LOTR: Fellowship - The whole three hours of the theatrical cut wore out my mother when she saw the DVD. She had no desire to want to see the sequels.

JamesDrake

Agent
Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat

I was preparing to laugh my arse off like I did with the Grinch. now mind you, I am a Jm Carey fan and although the movie wasn't great, I was entertained by the Grinch.

The Cat just couldn't pull it off for me. I think I was more frustrated by the time the movie ended than entertained.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

At least the latest version. I was creeped out a little but I was prepared for more gore or back story. Nothing too scary, just creepy.

The best part was when Leatherface opens a door, smashes guy's head with hammer, drags him in...slams the door.

Other than that it only mad eyou mad at the stupid decisions the characters made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks