What's new

SUPERNATURAL - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Dean, 'The One', the true vessel, the 'Michael Sword' ended up being nothing more than cannon fodder and his dead younger brother stole the limelight from him. Castiel saving Dean from hell, all those lessons the angels threw Deans way ? It all meant nothing. All the trouble saving Dean from Hell ? Nope, didn't mean a damn thing.

I'm not sure I understand why you think this. How did it "not mean a damn thing" ? As far as anyone knew up until Adam was found, Dean was the choice. And Adam was not really the right choice, and no one was sure it would even work. Saving Dean was important, because Dean was the one who finished the final battle; the prediction was correct, just not in the way that they had originally imagined. So, I'm not sure how any of this undid anything about Season 4.

Chuck as God ? Not buying that. So did God decide to use Chuck's vessel or was Chuck really God the entire time ? Who knows. The amulet never 'burned hot' in season 4 when they met up with him. Oh well, never mind that one. That's another thing, Chuck likes his call girls....what kind of impression does that leave if he is God ? We know, he is a sleaze bag, they hammered that home too.

Chuck wasn't God. He was a prophet. Once the work of the prophet was done, he was called up to heaven, something that the angels had said before.. while he was doing the work of the prophet, he was protected and couldn't be touched. The moment his work was done, he was immediately taken. No where was it ever inferred that Chuck was God. He wasn't God. He was a prophet who finished his calling.

One thing I enjoyed about the episode was the montage at the end. But come on, the entire time the show had us pumped up to see this huge fight between Lucifier and Michael. The angels hammered this into our heads very early on in the season. The entire season was building to that fight. Dean was supposed to be THE vessel, not A vessel..or A substitute vessel...but THE vessel. He was the Michael sword. Nope.

So after all that build up, all that crap, we got no fight at all ? Not even a light scuffle between the two heavy weights ? Nope. Dean was brushed aside, heck, he wasn't even the one to use the rings to send his brother away. He was just there. And Castiel exploding, Bobby's neck snapped....for what ? Nothing. They're just fine. Zero tension.

We were repeatedly told that if there was a fight, the initial battle would lay down a virtual apocolypse for humanity, the fight would decimate humankind. I thought it had built all year that the most important thing was that they had to stop the fight at all cost. Dean knew that and so he and the others (Cas, Bobby) were willing to sacrifice their lives by driving right into it if there was even the remotest shot they could prevent the battle from starting. I thought that was the whole point to the season, what can they do to stop the fight. And Sam found the way to stop the fight.

I'm not sure how they could have done this any other way... they had to make sure that fight didn't happen, or else all of the lore of the show which pressed how bad that initial fight would be would be undone if they didn't have them living in a post-apocolyptic world next year. They all did pretty much exactly as I expected.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
What a strange season.

While I enjoyed almost all the episodes on an individual basis the lack of time devoted to the season long Apocalypse arc - and most of that was in a tell not show method - deflates the whole season.

Still this finale episode was about as good as it gets. Endings are hard. And this one is good enough that if this was the series finale I would walk away satisfied.

The notion of the Impala being a magical avatar was good, albeit it smacking of pulling something out of the writer's sleeves at the last second.

Where do they go from here into the next season?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Jeff Kohn

Interesting to hear there's going to be a season 6. I recall reading in an interview/article least year that the leads were feeling burned out and didn't really want to go past season 5.

I'm certainly not going to complain about the renewal. But I also can't help but think if there hadn't been anybody standing under that street lamp in the last scene, it would have been a damn-fine ending to the series.

I'm not sure the guys had a choice in Season 6. It's my understanding that they were contracted for up to six seasons, so if CW wants to continue, they have little choice. If that's how they feel, it'll become an issue if CW wants to renew for a seventh season and has to negotiate new contracts. Though I've never understood why actors seem so willing to walk away from a successful show. It's so tough to land good roles and successful series as actors. I'd think you'd want to ride the gravy train as long as it runs.

But I agree this would have been one of the more satisfying series finales I've seen if they'd faded to black before the Sam reveal. It just makes me wonder where they're going to go for Season 6 and, if that's truly the last season, if they'll be able to wrap it up as well. But supposedly the creators say they have a decent idea for the next season, so we'll see.

I did like the line from Sam, though, "Remember how simple things used to be when we hunted wendigos?" It's always disappointed me somewhat that this series seemed to go so far afield from that initial, simple premise of brothers tracking down urban legends and supernatural creatures. But the show still remained engaging and is one of only a couple of series I make sure to watch every week, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
New timeslot for Season 6 this fall: Fridays at 9PM after Smallville.

So SV and SN are back together again on Fridays. Unfortunately, there's a lot of stereotyping of Fridays as a network "dead zone." But there have been shows that have thrived on Fridays, such as "The X-Files," so the night of the week isn't necessarily the killer.

Probably doesn't matter too much anyway, as chances of a Season 7 are probably pretty slim unless CW ponies up more money for the actors and/or moves production to LA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks